Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Josh Nicholls

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I dunno, tied for 3rd in goal scoring in the dub, even as a 20 year old, is nothing to sneeze at. And he's a solid PKer too boot? Why on earth would you predict he'd be playing CIS within 40 AHL games? Seems like the profile of a guy who at the very least could have a productive AHL career.

The Rangers certainly seem to think so... :dunno:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'd be interested to know if a player has ever resorted to playing CIS hockey in the first year of his ELC. Certainly none come to mind immediately.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I'd be interested to know if a player has ever resorted to playing CIS hockey in the first year of his ELC. Certainly none come to mind immediately.

only guy that i can think of is mcnaught but he signed an AHL deal not nhl deal, so clearly not the same

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
don't know where he will end up, but he's proven since his draft year that he can score some posts.

has averaged 35 goals and 41 assists per season

been the teams 2nd leading scorer for three years running.

May not be an NHL'er. But I can see him being a decent AHL'er.

Hope so at least

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Holy ****. Max rookie contract + signing bonus? God damn. Must've been a bit of a bidding war over him.

The thing is, an ELC that is AHL bound is REALLY cheap in terms of monies. Around 100k plus the signing bonus. So for Slats it's definitely pennies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Max would be closer to a 2.8 mil bonus like Stephane Da Costa got. Coming to a 3.75 cap hit in the NHL.

This is a depth signing, they wouldn't have given him that.

BTW, does bonuses count against the cap?

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
He must have connections to Sather. Maybe he is a friend of the family.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
dude cant skate. limited skillz. toronto didnt like him. so we sign him. lol

perfect torts player for the torts system. he works hard, not much natural offensive ability, defensively responsible, smart player.

just no offense....

sound familiar ?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

perfect torts player for the torts system. he works hard, not much natural offensive ability, defensively responsible, smart player.

just no offense....

sound familiar ?

What is there to complain about? If he becomes even a borderline NHLer thats a success no? Do you think they will find an Evgeni Malkin sitting in his room in Russia that no one knows about?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He must have connections to Sather. Maybe he is a friend of the family.

The connection to Sather thing normally manifests itself as an invitation to camp, prospect camp, Traverse City, etc. I don't recall anyone getting an ELC or SPC just from a familial relation. Actual contacts are too valuable to throw around like that.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
What is there to complain about? If he becomes even a borderline NHLer thats a success no? Do you think they will find an Evgeni Malkin sitting in his room in Russia that no one knows about?

Some people seem to think that any FA that the Rangers sign should turn into Dan Girardi. To them, if they don't have that potential it's a waste even though it's a zero risk move.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
BTW, does bonuses count against the cap?

my understanding is that the ELC performance bonuses only count if they are earned under the new cba. that was changed to prevent teams like the isles from putting in unreachable bonuses to inflate cap hits and get to the floor without ever paying the $$.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Some people seem to think that any FA that the Rangers sign should turn into Dan Girardi. To them, if they don't have that potential it's a waste even though it's a zero risk move.

But how does anyone know? The guy has 40+ goals this season already, is defined as a 2-way forward, decent size @ 6'2. So what if he projects as a bottom-6 player? Wouldn't that be a steal from a UFA out of juniors?

I know it's not you making the comments but I just don't get the need to bash the organization for adding a piece for nothing but money.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Certain moves bring a weird reaction. The Rangers signed a player. He will be making AHL money playing in the AHL. Pro-rated NHL dollars if he ever plays in the NHL. Some people complain because they like to complain. Like when the Rangers traded Ethan Werek. How could they trade this player? He will come back to haunt them. Really?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

just no offense....

sound familiar ?

We cut Dale Weise, and he is now playing for another NHL team. If Torts was as obsessed about aforementioned listed players, he'd still be here.

Punxrocknyc19*

The connection to Sather thing normally manifests itself as an invitation to camp, prospect camp, Traverse City, etc. I don't recall anyone getting an ELC or SPC just from a familial relation. Actual contacts are too valuable to throw around like that.

if this was the case Rangers would have already signed Brock Beuekboom especially with the Whale needing depth on defense.. i still wonder if they are looking at him as an UFA. he is playing in juniors and wasnt signed by the Bolts after traded in the deal for E.Brewer

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
We cut Dale Weise, and he is now playing for another NHL team. If Torts was as obsessed about aforementioned listed players, he'd still be here.

He was picked up on waivers. I was pretty unhappy about him being exposed at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad