Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign FA Ryan Haggerty (RW - RPI [NCAA])

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
lots of guys don't get drafted and they don't get drafted for a reason, which is most of these signings don't work out...but its a completely valid question. the reasons that haggerty, specifically, didn't get drafted and how those factors may have changed over the last few years can help gauge the likelihood of his success

for example a guy that didn't get drafted cause he was too small and then grew 4 inches after his draft year might be more likely to succeed than a guy that put up better numbers for no reason other than he was 21-22 against 18-19 year olds instead of 18.

So - most undrafted FAs don't work out, and it's because there is a flaw that leads to them not being drafted.

Meanwhile, at the draft, 99% of the players don't work out as well.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So - most undrafted FAs don't work out, and it's because there is a flaw that leads to them not being drafted.

Meanwhile, at the draft, 99% of the players don't work out as well.

I think CMP is just asking what particular flaws were identified in Haggerty during his draft years that lead him to going undrafted. No one has really been able to state, "This is why Haggerty wasn't drafted." I don't know the answer myself, and would be curious to know as well.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think CMP is just asking what particular flaws were identified in Haggerty during his draft years that lead him to going undrafted. No one has really been able to state, "This is why Haggerty wasn't drafted." I don't know the answer myself, and would be curious to know as well.

I think the comment has been made that he was buried on the depth chart on his team therefore not a lot of people saw much of him.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL

Well, that's fair - I am curious as well - but the statement was that these guys don't get drafted for a reason, and that is why they usually don't work out - but most players who are drafted too don't work out, so I don't see the point of such a statement.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens

Yeah, I'd like to know the answer to that myself. Haggerty and JT Miller both played on the same USDP team in their draft year. Their numbers:

Haggerty - 23gp, 7-8-15, +7
Miller - 21gp, 3-12-15, +4

Obviously stats don't tell the whole story, and they especially must not in the case where one goes 15th overall and one goes undrafted.

Miller put up over a PPG in his WHC-17 and WJC-18 games, which I'm sure definitely impressed the scouts. Haggerty in those tournaments had 3 points in 6 games and 2 points in 6 games, respectively.

So even if Haggerty wasn't nearly on par with Miller, why not take a late flier on him? The Devils took a forward Blake Pietila from the same USDP program who only had 9 points in 25 games on the same team. According to an article from a Stamford newspaper the year before Haggerty was drafted, he was only an inch shorter and 5 pounds lighter back then, so it wasn't a size issue. There must have been some other concerns regarding the player, otherwise I don't see any reason he wouldn't have been taken in the late rounds at least.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Yeah, I'd like to know the answer to that myself. Haggerty and JT Miller both played on the same USDP team in their draft year. Their numbers:

Haggerty - 23gp, 7-8-15, +7
Miller - 21gp, 3-12-15, +4

Obviously stats don't tell the whole story, and they especially must not in the case where one goes 15th overall and one goes undrafted.

Miller put up over a PPG in his WHC-17 and WJC-18 games, which I'm sure definitely impressed the scouts. Haggerty in those tournaments had 3 points in 6 games and 2 points in 6 games, respectively.

So even if Haggerty wasn't nearly on par with Miller, why not take a late flier on him? The Devils took a forward Blake Pietila from the same USDP program who only had 9 points in 25 games on the same team. According to an article from a Stamford newspaper the year before Haggerty was drafted, he was only an inch shorter and 5 pounds lighter back then, so it wasn't a size issue. There must have been some other concerns regarding the player, otherwise I don't see any reason he wouldn't have been taken in the late rounds at least.
Its kind of puzzling, hopefully someone can shed some light on why NOBODY took a shot on him, as for their play with the USDP by all accounts Miller was a leader on that team and made alot happen on both sides of the ice, Hags put up points but I don't remember anyone talking much about him pre-draft.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah if we lock up our seed, I think he gets a look. Until that happens, though, I don't see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad