Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign FA Ryan Haggerty (RW - RPI [NCAA])

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Pretty solid signing. I haven't seen a ton of him personally, but have heard that he's a hard worker who can play a physical game and bury the puck. I know he's listed in the article at 180lbs, but I believe he's closer to 200.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
From the article:

Since Haggerty signed an NHL deal starting with this season, he can not be assigned to the AHL because it is post-deadline.

"We have watched Ryan closely the past few years and the two things that stick out the most are: he can score, and he has gotten better every year," said Rangers assistant general manager, Jeff Gorton. "We really like Ryan's work ethic and his drive to get better every day."

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
He's a right shooting right winger who likes to play the Stamkos side on the power play.

The guy was actually a big surprise not to be drafted in his eligible years. Unfortunately he can't play in the AHL, but this is a shrewd pickup, one of the more understated risers in the NCAA.

For once, we signed a decent undrafted forward rather than a Tommy Grant or Michael Kantor.

10 of his 28 goals were on the power play. Only Gaudreau and Archibald scores more goals.

AHB*

Apparently he will spend the rest of the year with the big club.Interesting.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Only Johnny Gaudreau and Josh Archibald have more goals among NCAA players this year.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Doubt he gets into a game, but what is potential here? It is an NHL deal so are we looking bottom 6, top 6?

Does he kill penalties? I know he is a scorer at RPI, but does he provide something other than offense? At work or I would look u please myself.

Punxrocknyc19*

Pretty solid signing. I haven't seen a ton of him personally, but have heard that he's a hard worker who can play a physical game and bury the puck. I know he's listed in the article at 180lbs, but I believe he's closer to 200.

played on the same team as JT Miller, Brady Skjei. so he knows a few of the prospects.....

i hope it does not turn into another Kyle Jean :sarcasm:

maybe another PP option.. nice shot...

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Doubt he gets into a game, but what is potential here? It is an NHL deal so are we looking bottom 6, top 6?

Does he kill penalties? I know he is a scorer at RPI, but does he provide something other than offense? At work or I would look u please myself.

Does he kill penalties? - Not frequently.

Does he provide something other than offense?- Hard to say, because that's the role he played there. If Hagelin has stayed the same player as in his college role he wouldn't be playing here in all likelihood.

What is his potential? - Long shot 2nd line winger. I'd give him a 15-20% chance at being a 20-30 goal guy.

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
Question is, who will be put on waivers? Falk, Diaz or Dorsett?

Do the Rangers need to get rid of a contract? Because there is no NHL roster limit after the trade deadline anymore.

Edit: Just looked it up and the Rangers are at 50 contracts with Haggerty.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I'd love to know more about the contract situation with the AHL deadline etc. - didn't that just pass?

Seems like he's in a weird spot - practicing with the NHL team and (most likely) sitting in the press box all year. Is that common?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Yeah this is just a logistical thing. They will probably skate him in practice to see where he stands, let him get familiar with things, and then send him home for the summer in two weeks with a workout plan. I don't think they expect him to pull a Kreider, or to even be a realistic option as a roster forward.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Hm. Interesting to say the least, especially since he's gotta stay with the Rangers for the remainder of the season.

I guess he wouldn't take an AHL deal, or, the Rangers like him enough to think that another team would snatch him up and/or he's good enough to take shifts at the NHL level...

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
Curious to see the terms, hope it's a 3yr ELC.

Just doing some light reading on him, but seems like his S% was extremely high this year (think it was like 22%+), which accounts for his drastic increase in goals this season, but by all accounts he's steadily improved.

Who knows what'll happen, but he was one of the better UDFAs available, so nice roll of the dice.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
nice, they dealt picks so they need to take chances on these College kids. It's worked before

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
I'd love to know more about the contract situation with the AHL deadline etc. - didn't that just pass?

Seems like he's in a weird spot - practicing with the NHL team and (most likely) sitting in the press box all year. Is that common?

Torey Krug did the exact same thing in 11/12 with the Bruins.

Signed in late March post-tourny, played in like 2 games rest of the season. Opened 12/13 in the AHL, you know the rest of the story from there.

Crease

Jul 12, 2004

The new rule is that only players recalled from the AHL after the NHL trade deadline may be returned to the AHL for the remainder of the season. In other words, you have to be on the AHL roster as of NHL trade deadline to play in the AHL the rest of the way.

Haggerty will practice with the team, and fill in only if he shows he's capable or if injuries pile up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad