Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign FA Ryan Haggerty (RW - RPI [NCAA])

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Brooks was killing the deal in today's Post, so this has to be a good deal fro the Rangers.

The funniest thing is the whole article is based on the fact that he doesn't understand the rules. There isn't a no send-down clause in the contract. They just signed the kid after the AHL roster freeze deadline so he's not eligible to play there until next season.

Championship*

Brooks, while being probably our "best" beat writer, is a moron. He can claim he sat in the blue seats in the 70s all he wants, but he's a Devil's guy through and through, and always will be. He's got his sources, but even then one can only look to the recent St. Louis article he wrote the day before the deadline to see that even with that he's not great. Now this uninformed article critiquing the Rangers. If thing's aren't bad, then Brooks isn't happy. He makes his money off of bad news for the Rangers.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Far less likely you'll see Miller or anyone else called up the rest of the year Bern. Rangers have a full compliment of players and they're not going to be screwing around with the lineup very much in the middle of a playoff chase.

Looks like Haggerty keeps his #39 jersey number that he wore at RPI.

You are probably correct my friend, and other things being equal, I would not suggest this.

But the given circumstances are what they are, and all on its own the opportunity has presented itself.

Then on top of that, we are having problems finishing.

Against a top team, I understand it's a larger risk.

But for others, can't we try Miller + Haggerty in lieu of Boyle and Carcillo/Dorsett?

For 4 games?
Just to see if there happens to be lightning to keep in mind down the road?

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
Do we play Haggerty?

I would like to see this kid on the ice and see what he can do.. His video shows he is really quick with his shot and looks like he has good hands. I have never seen him play in person and I have only seen his highlight videos so I dont know anything about his defensive game. He has decent size and looks like he skates well enough.

His highlights do show me something that I rarely see a Ranger forward do and that is get his shot off without teeing it up. He has a hard shot and wastes no time in getting it off.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
I would like to see this kid on the ice and see what he can do.. His video shows he is really quick with his shot and looks like he has good hands. I have never seen him play in person and I have only seen his highlight videos so I dont know anything about his defensive game. He has decent size and looks like he skates well enough.

His highlights do show me something that I rarely see a Ranger forward do and that is get his shot off without teeing it up. He has a hard shot and wastes no time in getting it off.

Yea idk we would have to see how his first practice went. Mostly I doubt that he would get in a game barring an injury

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If say after another 5-10 games he does not play, could the Rangers send him down on a conditioning stint to Hartford? I would think that may be best for both parties. Get him 5 games or so down there and then let him continue to practice with the big team.

Punxrocknyc19*

If say after another 5-10 games he does not play, could the Rangers send him down on a conditioning stint to Hartford? I would think that may be best for both parties. Get him 5 games or so down there and then let him continue to practice with the big team.

13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade the Re-Entry Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade the Re-Entry Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club.

Seems outdated?

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Right. That was from the draft, the final version says waivers instead of re-entry.

Sending him on a conditioning loan would probably constitute circumvention of the deadline so it'd likely be shut down. Too bad.

Honestly I think undrafted FA's signed after the deadline should be able to play in the A.

I'm not sure why that would be the case. They could say they want him to get some games in to stay in game shape.

TeamStewie

Jan 17, 2013
Something I'm wondering too.

Great to hear about the upside of these random free agents we sign, but I'd like to know what it was that shyed other teams away from him.

Not everyone can get drafted. Some players just develop physically talentwise or both, later than others. LUNDQVIST was drafted in the last round of the draft. It's not a big deal.

Punxrocknyc19*

Not everyone can get drafted. Some players just develop physically talentwise or both, later than others. LUNDQVIST was drafted in the last round of the draft. It's not a big deal.

a fan favorite of mine was also drafted in the 7th round, Joe Pavelski :yo: such a great find by the Sharks

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
lots of guys don't get drafted and they don't get drafted for a reason, which is most of these signings don't work out...but its a completely valid question. the reasons that haggerty, specifically, didn't get drafted and how those factors may have changed over the last few years can help gauge the likelihood of his success

for example a guy that didn't get drafted cause he was too small and then grew 4 inches after his draft year might be more likely to succeed than a guy that put up better numbers for no reason other than he was 21-22 against 18-19 year olds instead of 18.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad