Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign FA Ryan Haggerty (RW - RPI [NCAA])

AHB*

The NCAA is a lot closer to the NHL than the Canadian Juniors are.

But who translates their success depends on the kind of player... the better skater you are the better chance you have. McDonagh and Smith were a pairing in Wisconsin, Smith was considered the better of the two in college but now not a single sane individual would take him over McDonagh.

Success in any lesser league never necessarily translates to the NHL. AHL, Canadian Juniors, NCAA, KHL, etc.

We see guys be All-Stars and even top 5 players in those leagues that just can't put it together at the NHL for one reason or another.

I really like this signing, have no doubt. With our constantly depleted farm system and limited first round picks, we need to be making moves like this. I also really like what this kid has shown and potentially brings.

That being said, comparing his shot to two hockey greats like Kovy and Ovy is just not right. We're talking about two of the best shots in the game today. We're talking about two of the best goal scorers of all-time.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah, people like to get a little overenthusiastic sometimes.

Gilroy, by the way, with over 200 NHL games under his belt, can't be considered a complete failure.

My concern with guys that excel on the PP is that in the NCAA PP% are very high. 25-30% in some cases. NHL defensemen and coaching are amazing, they won't have any easy goals here.

AHB*

Yeah, people like to get a little overenthusiastic sometimes.

Gilroy, by the way, with over 200 NHL games under his belt, can't be considered a complete failure.

My concern with guys that excel on the PP is that in the NCAA PP% are very high. 25-30% in some cases. NHL defensemen and coaching are amazing, they won't have any easy goals here.

There's a lot more time and space also to get shots off. Haggerty isn't going to be free to blast away in the slot, where a lot of his goals are scored.

I don't consider Gilroy a failure by any means. He's put together a good career, but I remember some of the things that were said when we signed him. The expectations were just insane. Albeit, he was quite older...but still, you can't accurately predict how someone will perform coming from there, regardless of promise.

Clausewitz

Dec 20, 2013
Regardless, you're talking about two of the best shots in the game today, if not, history. This kid was a college player all but a week ago.

He has a LONG way to go before he should ever be mentioned in the same breath as those guys, even if we're talking about visor cleaning, let alone a skill-set such as a shot.

Haggerty's shot looks great, sure, but the NCAA is not near the NHL. Remember Matt Gilroy?

I remember that Gilroy was a defensive disaster -- but not much else. Hopefully this new guy will fit in nicely and contribute to our success (but who knows).

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
The only way a guy with a shot like that plays center is that he is actually a better centerman than a shooter. Don't see that happening but I guess you never know. He's an interesting combination. Decent size and bulk. Good net presence.

And then there's that shot. Wow.

The left point from the top of the circle on the PP. I'd like to see him there once B4 this season ends. We'll see.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
The only way a guy with a shot like that plays center is that he is actually a better centerman than a shooter. Don't see that happening but I guess you never know. He's an interesting combination. Decent size and bulk. Good net presence.

The left point from the top of the circle on the PP. I'd like to see him there once B4 this season ends. We'll see.

All most here are doing is watching a video of goals he scored. For a few years now I've been watching him, some times as a Center and trust me, he can make passes as well as hit the net. He's versatile, that's why I say let's see him get a look at Center. If it doesn't work out, you'd be amazed how easy it is putting him back at wing ;)

Clausewitz

Dec 20, 2013

Didn't notice he played center (I just focused on his being a forward with a huge shot and great production). I agree with you, though, that (based on the little I've read and the few videos I've seen) he'd probably be better on the wing than at center.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
:laugh:Let me see if I got this straight.

Due to timing, Haggerty MUST remain attached to the parent roster. They don't have to play him, he could be a healthy scratch every game, but due to circumstances, he can NOT be sent elsewhere at the moment.

Ok, now is it also still true that he gets up to 5 full games before anything counts on his ELC?

Ok, if both are true, AND
he is a RW who has a history with Miller

could we try for 4 games a line:
Kreider Miller Haggerty

just to see if there is any chemistry?

After all, supposedly this is a soft schedule to the end.
5 games ...

what do you all think?

PS -- not everybody outside the box all at once, please:laugh:

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
If we don't mind the signing bonuses and burning a year of ELC, then this is a good strategy to make up for lost picks a la Allen. Haggarty obviously is older but I would translate him into being a 2nd rounder.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
:laugh:Let me see if I got this straight.

Due to timing, Haggerty MUST remain attached to the parent roster. They don't have to play him, he could be a healthy scratch every game, but due to circumstances, he can NOT be sent elsewhere at the moment.

Ok, now is it also still true that he gets up to 5 full games before anything counts on his ELC?

Ok, if both are true, AND
he is a RW who has a history with Miller

could we try for 4 games a line:
Kreider Miller Haggerty

just to see if there is any chemistry?

After all, supposedly this is a soft schedule to the end.
5 games ...

what do you all think?

PS -- not everybody outside the box all at once, please:laugh:

Far less likely you'll see Miller or anyone else called up the rest of the year Bern. Rangers have a full compliment of players and they're not going to be screwing around with the lineup very much in the middle of a playoff chase.

Looks like Haggerty keeps his #39 jersey number that he wore at RPI.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
No doubt he should be played at Wing right now, but eventually when he gets some time under his belt, try him at Center.

I don't see it, man. I've seen him play a bit and he's a shoot first ask questions later guy. He's a straight up triggerman.

Haggerty is a pure wing if I ever saw one. I want him coming down along the boards waiting for Stepan or another playmaker to feed him the puck.

AHB*

I don't see it, man. I've seen him play a bit and he's a shoot first ask questions later guy. He's a straight up triggerman.

Haggerty is a pure wing if I ever saw one. I want him coming down along the boards waiting for Stepan or another playmaker to feed him the puck.

This team could use a triggerman, especially after the last couple nights.

Throw him on the 4th line next game for Carbomb.

Yea yea I'm crazy, I know.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Yeah. Im not seeing center when I watch him play. Additionally his numbers dont yell out "Im a center" either.

Dont want the kid to think to much either. Keep the game simple. Get puck. Shoot puck.

Forcing him to play a position that relies on more than just talent is asking for trouble.

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
The team has a need for a straight-up shooter like him on wing.

He seems to excel at that role on the wing.

So why stick a square peg in a round hole when he seems to be developing nicely on the wing?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
This team could use a triggerman, especially after the last couple nights.

Throw him on the 4th line next game for Carbomb.

Yea yea I'm crazy, I know.

I was thinking that, too. Give him fourth line sheltered minutes and PP1 time. Couldn't hurt for MSL to just go to him and say: "Here's where Stamkos always is when I feed him the puck. Stand here and let it rip every time I pass it to you. Don't think, just shoot." That's what our PP has been missing for quite some time, a straight up triggerman.

On the other hand, while I'm not some of the crazier posters over here about "being soft", taking Carcillo out of the lineup for a somewhat undersized straight out of college player definitely puts quite the dent in our "team toughness".

I think it's more likely we don't see Haggerty play this season.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
I was thinking that, too. Give him fourth line sheltered minutes and PP1 time. Couldn't hurt for MSL to just go to him and say: "Here's where Stamkos always is when I feed him the puck. Stand here and let it rip every time I pass it to you. Don't think, just shoot." That's what our PP has been missing for quite some time, a straight up triggerman.

On the other hand, while I'm not some of the crazier posters over here about "being soft", taking Carcillo out of the lineup for a somewhat undersized straight out of college player definitely puts quite the dent in our "team toughness".

I think it's more likely we don't see Haggerty play this season.

only time the PP had a triggerman like that in recent memory was Kotalik. Unfortunately he was so bad 5 on 5 that he cudnt even get sheltered 4th line minutes and top PP time.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
seriously doubt that Haggerty plays tomorrow. He hasn't even practiced with the team yet.

Rangers are in a dogfight for anywhere between 5th and 9th place. Don't see AV messing about with a 4th line that's doing it's job. Taking Carcillo out means taking the Rangers biggest physical threat out of the lineup. It would also mean figuring out which player plays where. Haggerty does a lot of his sniping from the left side circle shooting on his off wing. That's where Boyle would be if he's not playing center.

Haggerty's chance to make it into the lineup is if a winger gets injured--or the logjam in the standings resolves itself.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I saw the name Haggarty pop up in the GDT last night and I thought people were making fun of Hagelin :help:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
There's a lot more time and space also to get shots off. Haggerty isn't going to be free to blast away in the slot, where a lot of his goals are scored.

I don't consider Gilroy a failure by any means. He's put together a good career, but I remember some of the things that were said when we signed him. The expectations were just insane. Albeit, he was quite older...but still, you can't accurately predict how someone will perform coming from there, regardless of promise.

That's my top concern with this guy from what little I've seen of him. An awful lot of his goals seem to be a product of him being wide open in his favorite shooting spot. That is just not going to happen in the NHL. I get that you take what you can get in whatever league you're in, but that's something that stuck out to me watching a bit of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad