Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign C Nick Bonino (1 year, $800K)

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Wheeler is a top 6 RW. The team needed a top 6RW. If he works out then it’s a great value. If he doesn’t, he can be waived. Low risk / high reward at a position of need. How can you possibly complain about this?
So again, he does nothing to address the aspects of our current players that are deficiencies. He doesn't supplement the existing strengths beyond he is a rw and we need a rw. Our forward group still lacks speed and general skating ability, lacks forechecking type motor players, lacks crease crashers. That is my entire point. If Patrick Kane would come back here for 800k you'd be an idiot to do it bc he would be more of the same of what we have, infact there were many complaining about the trade while others kept saying that for the cost it was worth it. Square peg for the round hole that is this roster's deficiencies and areas of actual need.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It went seven games. I think it's fair to say they didn't start the series over matched and they weren't over matched in their third win. The real thing that sticks in craws is that they just didn't seem to show up ready in game 7. A 7 game series is the opposite of a blowout series, which is what you get when one team is overmatched. We can make plenty of excuses, but the fact is they didn't do what they needed to to win... The Devils were a good team. Yep better than us as it turns out. But certainly not a dominant team. We didn't fight hard enough in that game 7. Losing, but making a game of it, which they were obviously CAPABLE of doing, having won three games, wouldn't have left such a bad taste in our mouths. I'm not suggesting they didn't care, but they didn't care ENOUGH. It's not black or white, on or off.
They weren't that good in game 1 or game 6. They just scored on every other shot. The only games they outplayed the Devils were 2 and 3. Like you said, it's not black and white. Even in series you're not really that competitive in, you might look good 2 out of 7 games. If you won 2 out of 7 games, you'd go 22-60.

The Rangers were horrible in game 6. All the proof we need right there that "complete level" is just an emotional response to shooting percentage.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
They weren't that good in game 1 or game 6. They just scored on every other shot. The only games they outplayed the Devils were 2 and 3. Like you said, it's not black and white. Even in series you're not really that competitive in, you might look good 2 out of 7 games. If you won 2 out of 7 games, you'd go 22-60.

The Rangers were horrible in game 6. All the proof we need right there that "complete level" is just an emotional response to shooting percentage.
I get what you are saying but me watching guys not fight for every inch isn't an emotional response to shooting percentage. Neither is me watching guys not finish their checks, or stop skating on the forcheck in general. If they shelled the Devs goalie, were territoriality dominant, and lost, I wouldn't think they weren't fighting hard enough...
We all have our takes, they are all going to be subjective. If you think their effort was supreme, that's fine, I just don't agree with you. And again, it doesn't mean they didn't care at all. It could mean they were frustrated, confused, mentally or physically fatigued or any other number of things.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
You mean if they played good?

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
Sure, I'm saying it's not losing or shooting percentage... it's HOW you lose.
Playing "good" in the playoffs doesn't usually happen without a great effort... playing bad certainly does...
But again, this is just my opinion. I'm not trying to change your mind.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Sure, I'm saying it's not losing or shooting percentage... it's HOW you lose.
Playing "good" in the playoffs doesn't usually happen without a great effort... playing bad certainly does...
But again, this is just my opinion. I'm not trying to change your mind.
I just think we're missing the point. We always play bad. The organization went from Lundqvist to Sheshterkin and have built a culture of over-relying on goaltending.

They've been a shit 5v5 team since 2008 with a couple of exceptions. If it was just effort, they would have improved by now.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I just think we're missing the point. We always play bad. The organization went from Lundqvist to Sheshterkin and have built a culture of over-relying on goaltending.

They've been a shit 5v5 team since 2008 with a couple of exceptions. If it was just effort, they would have improved by now.
Fair points. I didn’t say it was JUST effort though. Said NJ was the better team as well.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Rangers need to play faster. But they also lack separation speed. Not top speed. A few years ago this would have been a fantastic signing. In 2023, It's more of a low-risk, easily replaceable cap signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad