Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign C Nick Bonino (1 year, $800K)

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Bonino and Wheeler at 800k a piece are good signings. Anyone saying otherwise is on crack. Kostin, Geekie and Jost got 2M a piece. Wheeler has 115 points in his last 137 games played. The other 3 have combined for 226 career points in 700 combined games. And they’re not that young that there’s some magnificent untapped upside. Wheeler has 55 points last season. He had 60 points in 65 games a year ago. At 800k? He is potentially the best bargain in the NHL. It’s a one year deal. If it bombs entirely and he’s a shell of even last year and completely stinks, his whole contract can be buried and is off the books at the end of the year. If a move results in any kind of reinvigorated play - new room, less responsibility, no C on his chest, etc - the contract will be an absolute steal. Guy could put 50, 60, even 70 points on an 800k contract. Bonino can win draws and PK and is a damn sight better than Carpenter and Rooney as a 4th liner.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
How is this a good signing but wheeler an elite level travesty?
Bc bonino was signed to be a 4th liner and fills a role/need that we need between faceoffs and pk.

Wheeler was brought here to be a top 6 rw who will eat pp time, and does nothing to add to the top 6/9 in any manner that addresses deficiencies in the roster mix beyond being a rw. he doesn't forecheck hard anymore, does crash the net, isn't a good skater anymore, and isn't particularly good defensively. He does nothing to address issues in our mix

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
Bc bonino was signed to be a 4th liner and fills a role/need that we need between faceoffs and pk.

Wheeler was brought here to be a top 6 rw who will eat pp time, and does nothing to add to the top 6/9 in any manner that addresses deficiencies in the roster mix beyond being a rw. he doesn't forecheck hard anymore, does crash the net, isn't a good skater anymore, and isn't particularly good defensively. He does nothing to address issues in our mix
So you’d rather have the worse player at the same price. Got it.

Reactions: Gospel of Prospal

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Right. Nobody has to be in love with the signing, but he’s eons better than the alternatives we kept seeing throughout last season. Carpenter and Leshitshyn were a joke.
Yet this obvious fact is lost on so many. It's good to have better options during a long NHL season.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

Yea adding a 60 point RW couldn't help at all. We have so many of them.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Yea adding a 60 point RW couldn't help at all. We have so many of them.
It's not about points. It's about role, roster construction, and player types.

Wheeler in the top six closes out the kids you all so desperately want to give opportunities to

So you’d rather have the worse player at the same price. Got it.
I'd rather have players that fit roles and needs of the roster, not NHL 19 rosters where you just get a name to fit into a role. Did we not learn enough from the Kane and tank debacle at the deadline?

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

Wheeler in the top six closes out the kids you all so desperately want to give opportunities to

I'd rather have players that fit roles and needs of the roster, not NHL 19 rosters where you just get a name to fit into a role. Did we not learn enough from the Kane and tank debacle at the deadline?
Yea lets talk about roster construction. How would you grade our RW production and depth last year? I would say it was poor. It was an obvious need and that's why they acquired both Tarasenko and Kane at the deadline. Kakko will get top 6 minutes. Lets see him put up 60 points.

Reactions: Gospel of Prospal

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015

Our bottom 6 and bottom pair got caved. I’d rather take my chances with all top 6/9 capable players as forwards than bad 4th liners and AAAA players. Especially if they cost the same.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Yea lets talk about roster construction. How would you grade our RW production and depth last year? I would say it was poor. It was an obvious need and that's why they acquired both Tarasenko and Kane at the deadline. Kakko will get top 6 minutes. Lets see him put up 60 points.
They didn't need Kane. The fact you think they did shows your conception of roster construction. Kane was square peg for a round hole. They needed motor players and a motor type rw. That's still what they need now but instead they added an aging rw looking to cash in for ifa next year. Sound familiar? Wheeler does NOTHING to diversify the type of players in our top 9, absolutely nothing.

Our bottom 6 and bottom pair got caved. I’d rather take my chances with all top 6/9 capable players as forwards than bad 4th liners and AAAA players. Especially if they cost the same.
Again, more NHL 19 nonsense. A winning team has players in roles that work to contribute to the team collective. An assembly of former all stars rarely if ever works

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
They didn't need Kane. The fact you think they did shows your conception of roster construction. Kane was square peg for a round hole. They needed motor players and a motor type rw. That's still what they need now but instead they added an aging rw looking to cash in for ifa next year. Sound familiar? Wheeler does NOTHING to diversify the type of players in our top 9, absolutely nothing.

Again, more NHL 19 nonsense. A winning team has players in roles that work to contribute to the team collective. An assembly of former all stars rarely if ever works
But they thought they needed Kane though or at least couldn't pass up the opportunity I guess. None of these move are NHL 19 nonsense no matter what you think. They were all well thought out, cheap, top value deals in positions of need. You can complain and spin it anyway you desire. The Wheeler signing was outstanding. Kakko will get plenty of ice time and opportunity to show what he's got. Lets see if he takes advantage or if he has another 40 point season.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
But they thought they needed Kane though or at least couldn't pass up the opportunity I guess. None of these move are NHL 19 nonsense no matter what you think. They were all well thought out, cheap, top value deals in positions of need. You can complain and spin it anyway you desire. The Wheeler signing was outstanding. Kakko will get plenty of ice time and opportunity to show what he's got. Lets see if he takes advantage or if he has another 40 point season.
Kane was here bc of Dolan. Plain and simple. I can't say it enough, Wheeler does nothing at this stage of his career to address the issues w this roster besides being a rw.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Kane was here bc of Dolan. Plain and simple. I can't say it enough, Wheeler does nothing at this stage of his career to address the issues w this roster besides being a rw.
And being a RW that scores points is addressing an issue with this roster unless you want to see Vesey getting top 6 minutes. How many 60 point RW's did we have last year?? You will be changing your tune by around November I would guess.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
And being a RW that scores points is addressing an issue with this roster unless you want to see Vesey getting top 6 minutes. How many 60 point RW's did we have last year?? You will be changing your tune by around November I would guess.
Again, I am not disputing the need for top 9 rw depth but what I am disputing is the correct fit of the player. Kane didn't fit, tank didn't really fit, this team needs energy players that forecheck, can skate, are willing to drive the net, and can cause chaos for the other team. Wheeler does none of that at this point and is another vanilla veteran towards the end, and he is going to be given a role here. 10/10 would take a lesser name that could add speed and forecheck over wheeler. I don't care what he does leading to November, I care what he won't do February and beyond.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Again, I am not disputing the need for top 9 rw depth but what I am disputing is the correct fit of the player. Kane didn't fit, tank didn't really fit, this team needs energy players that forecheck, can skate, are willing to drive the net, and can cause chaos for the other team. Wheeler does none of that at this point and is another vanilla veteran towards the end, and he is going to be given a role here. 10/10 would take a lesser name that could add speed and forecheck over wheeler. I don't care what he does leading to November, I care what he won't do February and beyond.
Ok, then you will be changing your tune in February.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Ok, then you will be changing your tune in February.
I actually really really hope I am. I have no problem being proven wrong, but if he scores 4 goals in the first 3 games of the season I still won't care. I want a TEAM that can win, not a bunch of players that put up points against the bottom 2/3s of the league. I want a team that can beat the top 1/3 of the league and has a legitimate shot at the cup.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Yeah, I’m pretty against that signing but I’ve been trying to look at him objectively. His 5 on 5 numbers aren’t terrible. He’s at least as good as Goodrow.
Super low risk, if it's a miss it doesnt hurt the org. Would rather try with him and see how he does. Better situation would be if a kid like Cuylle beat him out for a spot out of camp.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Super low risk, if it's a miss it doesnt hurt the org. Would rather try with him and see how he does. Better situation would be if a kid like Cuylle beat him out for a spot out of camp.

I get the low risk move for sure but this is the one signing I’m not in love with. Mainly because I was hoping for a 4C who was good on face offs and added some speed to help the transition game.

The one saving grace here is that he is exceptionally good at takeaways as compared to his giveaways. This would seem to indicate that positionally, he’s solid and he reads plays well as he’s not creating turnovers with his legs anymore.

Reactions: bl02

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
At the deadline many wanted Bonino

It’s basically like last years Carpenter signing but he’s better than him Atleast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad