Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign C Nick Bonino (1 year, $800K)

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Bonino still has a great hockey IQ, and to this point in his career, it has allowed him to overcome his lack of speed.
What I don't understand is where Bonino slots in the lineup.
Maybe in the Press Box?
Alternatively, perhaps they are planning to make a trade; maybe Goodrow is leaving.

Reactions: egelband

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Bonino is a solid 4C
He has a very respectable 7.15 PPGA/60 at 142 PK minutes
What sucks is his 48.2 FOW%
His FOW% was decent when he was in Nashville though so it's like not he's totally incapable of it. Maybe Peca can help him find his groove.

Reactions: egelband

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I hope I'm wrong, I see him going the way of Carpenter.

I'd rather have a guy like Brodz come up under the tutelage of Peca. I don't get what we want from a 4C. Brodz fills all categories and he adds speed.

I don't think he moves well enough anymore either.

By far my least favorite of the signings. Good news is that if he gets waived its of no consequence. Bad news is if he blows, he's going to get wayyyyy too long of a leash.

IIRC, his defensive and PK metrics were still good as recently as last season so at least there is that.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I don't think he moves well enough anymore either.

By far my least favorite of the signings. Good news is that if he gets waived its of no consequence. Bad news is if he blows, he's going to get wayyyyy too long of a leash.

IIRC, his defensive and PK metrics were still good as recently as last season so at least there is that.
Cuylle Brodz Vesey

that's a decent-strong 4th line on paper. Size and speed. Some skill. Brodz is 6' 210lbs and he can fly.

Carpenter Bonino will get a 15-20 game sample probably unless he gets blown out of the water by someone like Brodz at camp or Othmann sticks and drops Goodrow down.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Kane was here bc of Dolan. Plain and simple. I can't say it enough, Wheeler does nothing at this stage of his career to address the issues w this roster besides being a rw.
Wheeler is a top 6 RW. The team needed a top 6RW. If he works out then it’s a great value. If he doesn’t, he can be waived. Low risk / high reward at a position of need. How can you possibly complain about this?

Reactions: RGY

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I hope I'm wrong, I see him going the way of Carpenter.

I'd rather have a guy like Brodz come up under the tutelage of Peca. I don't get what we want from a 4C. Brodz fills all categories and he adds speed.

You rather have Brod an AHL player at the age of 31 and not a full time NHL player on the roster? he played less than 125 NHL games for a reason, he is not that good. He’s not a 25 year old not getting a chance with a NHL team, he was given up by Sharks and Kings, he is not the next JAM type of player waiting to break out. Fans need to get over their love of minor league AHL vets 30 and over. If that is the case, I’d rather have a rookie like Edstrom, Cuylle, Rempe etc make it

Reactions: RGY

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I don’t see any issue with forcing kids to beat out a proven NHL veteran. I also can’t comprehend handing an NHL spot to an unproven prospect with no fallback contingency plan. It just makes no sense when you are team with Cup aspirations

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I don’t see any issue with forcing kids to beat out a proven NHL veteran. I also can’t comprehend handing an NHL spot to an unproven prospect with no fallback contingency plan. It just makes no sense when you are team with Cup aspirations

When the NHL team has AHL players that played no more than 125 NHL games, that tells me the organization has depth issues to rely on a 31 year old minor leaguer instead of a young prospect with some potential and NHL future.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
You rather have Brod an AHL player at the age of 31 and not a full time NHL player on the roster? he played less than 125 NHL games for a reason, he is not that good. He’s not a 25 year old not getting a chance with a NHL team, he was given up by Sharks and Kings, he is not the next JAM type of player waiting to break out. Fans need to get over their love of minor league AHL vets 30 and over. If that is the case, I’d rather have a rookie like Edstrom, Cuylle, Rempe etc make it
He just turned 30 and can do whatever Bonino can do but can skate.

I have no clue why they don't like Brodz. He's a decent 4th liner and he can skate He has had a massive impact on Hartfords success.

We're talking about a 4th line role not to lead the team offensively. What you're expecting from the 4th line is not realistic imo

If Edstrom is ready, great. Give him a look. Rempe? let's be serious. Cuylle is a winger and I hope he's here after camp.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

I have no clue why they don't like Brodz. He's a decent 4th liner and he can skate He has had a massive impact on Hartfords success.

We're talking about a 4th line role not to lead the team offensively. What you're expecting from the 4th line is not realistic imo

If Edstrom is ready, great. Give him a look. Rempe? let's be serious. Cuylle is a winger and I hope he's here after camp.
If he's a top or 2ed line player in Hartford. He should be given that same ice time in NYR, no wonder why he does nothing when he's on the 4 th line 🤣🤣🤣🤣 he's an NHL scrub AHL All-star for a reason. He sucks

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
If he's a top or 2ed line player in Hartford. He should be given that same ice time in NYR, no wonder why he does nothing when he's on the 4 th line 🤣🤣🤣🤣 he's an NHL scrub AHL All-star for a reason. He sucks
This is a pretty poor take. Brodz is pretty much exactly what you'd want in a 4th line player. I'm not really sure what the deal is with the Rangers, but they tend to prefer plodding oafs to actual guys who can skate, play solid D, are good at faceoffs and chip in the occasional goal now and then.

The fact that they prioritized a combination of Ryan Carpenter, Jake Lechyshyn and Sammy Blais over Brodz was absolutely mind boggling and considering how those 3 turned out, it's surprising you disagree.

Reactions: yada and duhmetreE

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
This is a pretty poor take. Brodz is pretty much exactly what you'd want in a 4th line player. I'm not really sure what the deal is with the Rangers, but they tend to prefer plodding oafs to actual guys who can skate, play solid D, are good at faceoffs and chip in the occasional goal now and then.

The fact that they prioritized a combination of Ryan Carpenter, Jake Lechyshyn and Sammy Blais over Brodz was absolutely mind boggling and considering how those 3 turned out, it's surprising you disagree.

He is a 30 year old that only played 101 NHL games, Kings and Sharks already gave up on him. No he is not the next late bloomer like JAM or some other older NHL rookie. Rangers need to stop prioritizing AHL players and forcing them into the lineup on the 4th line. I miss the days when Rangers would draft for these types Dom Moore or trade for younger 4th line players with not much NHL experience but a young Brian Boyle or younger Brandon Prust, not some 30 year old AHL vet that Rangers are rewarding him for not giving up his dream of being an everyday NHL player 🤮 i rather get Edstrom, Trivigno, Cuylle, Rempe, or some other younger player a chance over an AHL vet.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
this is wrong.

You say he sucks and want Rempe? You also say Motte sucks as a 4th liner. He's the literal prototype 4th liner. He just always gets hurt. Go find me the best 4th liner in the NHL.... and I can make an argument 'he sucks'. They are 4th liners. They are meant to serve a role and fill in the gaps.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
this is wrong.

You say he sucks and want Rempe? You also say Motte sucks as a 4th liner. He's the literal prototype 4th liner. He just always gets hurt. Go find me the best 4th liner in the NHL.... and I can make an argument 'he sucks'. They are 4th liners. They are meant to serve a role and fill in the gaps.

Give me Brian Boyle Brandon Prust Dom Moore type of 4th liners. Players young and or drafted or traded to NYR, not some 30 year old hockey player that only played 101 NHL games, yea lets rely on a minor league scrub that has no NHL future. Dom Moore was a rookie when he played the 4th line for the Rangers. No reason why a rookie can’t do what Moore Boyle did for the Rangers in their career, especially when the Rangers had them went to the finals in 2014. No team goes to the finals or let alone make the playoffs with an AHL scrubs in their lineup. This is not an expansion team

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Give me Brian Boyle Brandon Prust Dom Moore type of 4th liners. Players young and or drafted or traded to NYR, not some 30 year old hockey player that only played 101 NHL games, yea lets rely on a minor league scrub that has no NHL future. Dom Moore was a rookie when he played the 4th line for the Rangers. No reason why a rookie can’t do what Moore Boyle did for the Rangers when they went to the finals in 2014.
all those guys suck. :sarcasm:

name me someone in the NHL, that's your prototype 4th liner. McLeod was probably the best available and he cost $1.4M

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
all those guys suck. :sarcasm:

name me someone in the NHL, that's your prototype 4th liner. McLeod was probably the best available and he cost $1.4M

Jack McBain from the Coyotes, RFA will need a raise. He’d be a great choice young big scrappy. A Brian Boyle lite. Did not sign with the Wild and got dealt to the Coyotes. He was one of those Id hope Drury would trade for at that time he was dealt..

I

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Jack McBain from the Coyotes, RFA will need a raise. He’d be a great choice young big scrappy. A Brian Boyle lite. Did not sign with the Wild and got dealt to the Coyotes. He was one of those Id hope Drury would trade for at that time he was dealt..

I
What are we giving up to get him? If we could spend $1.5-2M on a 4th liner, we would have signed McLeod.

We hope Cuylle can step up. Maybe Edstrom eventually. In the mean time, Brodz is the best choice. We're not selling the farm and taking a massive risk if Brodz is the 4C over Bonino.

What dont you like about Brodz game?

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

We're gonna end up losing Brodz on waivers and it's a shame. With the roster we had last season he was pretty clearly good enough to play on our 4th line every night, especially before our trades

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
He is a 30 year old that only played 101 NHL games, Kings and Sharks already gave up on him. No he is not the next late bloomer like JAM or some other older NHL rookie. Rangers need to stop prioritizing AHL players and forcing them into the lineup on the 4th line. I miss the days when Rangers would draft for these types Dom Moore or trade for younger 4th line players with not much NHL experience but a young Brian Boyle or younger Brandon Prust, not some 30 year old AHL vet that Rangers are rewarding him for not giving up his dream of being an everyday NHL player 🤮 i rather get Edstrom, Trivigno, Cuylle, Rempe, or some other younger player a chance over an AHL vet.
Rempe was literally benched in the Wolfpack's playoff run. He is not even close to NHL quality right now and very likely may never be. I really don't have any clue what you're talking about. The Rangers are not a development team and Brodz is very clearly an NHL player. I don't even understand the comparison to JAM, he is a consistent 30 goal producer. Obviously if that's the production you're expecting from our 4th line you're going to be insanely disappointed.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
We're gonna end up losing Brodz on waivers and it's a shame. With the roster we had last season he was pretty clearly good enough to play on our 4th line every night, especially before our trades

But yet couldnt play for a bad Sharks team or a Kings team. He is not an NHL player. 101 NHL games at age 30. Yea that screams NHL regular to me 🤮 AHL player at best. Let him give leadership to the prospects on how to act when they are 30 with only 101 NHL games under his career.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

He was waived multiple times last year and was never claimed.

What makes you think he’s going to be claimed now?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
We're gonna end up losing Brodz on waivers and it's a shame…
Maybe but I doubt it, league is overflowing with marginal forwards
I try to remind myself not to get tense about 14th Fs or 7th Ds

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
It’s about having depth. Yes perhaps Edstrom or Cuylle could fill a 4th line spot. But what if they don’t prove ready? Then you’re trading for Bonino anyway. Might as well sign him for league minimum and work those kids in as the year progresses.

I don’t see the issue. He’s a 4C. If they overpay for a quality 4th liner, you’re mad. If they sign cheap depth for 4th line help, you’re mad. Do you want just a whole team full of rookies? I’m as much a believer in developing 4th liners, but I also believe in depth. Injuries happen, players don’t perform. You need options.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
The point is, any team that's losing and not scoring looks listless.

You're responding to a lack of offense and attributing it to a lack of caring which is ridiculous.

Making the NHL is statically, almost impossible. The work that every guy puts in is at a level normal people can't fathom.
It went seven games. I think it's fair to say they didn't start the series over matched and they weren't over matched in their third win. The real thing that sticks in craws is that they just didn't seem to show up ready in game 7. A 7 game series is the opposite of a blowout series, which is what you get when one team is overmatched. We can make plenty of excuses, but the fact is they didn't do what they needed to to win... The Devils were a good team. Yep better than us as it turns out. But certainly not a dominant team. We didn't fight hard enough in that game 7. Losing, but making a game of it, which they were obviously CAPABLE of doing, having won three games, wouldn't have left such a bad taste in our mouths. I'm not suggesting they didn't care, but they didn't care ENOUGH. It's not black or white, on or off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad