Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Blake Wheeler [1Y/800K]

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
They just got a 60 point potential player for a 1 year deal worth 800k in a position of need. It's a no fing brainer

Agreed, so long as they are willing to mix up the line combinations if his play is creating a problem in the top 6.

Like, they shouldn't be afraid to play Wheeler away from Panarin/Kreider if it isn't working.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
I mean with how little cap space we have, I'm not sure we can complain about the signing. We can, however, complain when hes in the top 6 and getting more minutes then Kakko.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
What an absolute joke. Let's commit to a rebuild and then keep back filling to old players that can't skate but will eat minutes. what an absolute joke this org is. No direction what so ever
yeah sorry i’m not interested in another year of Kakko being the only RW worth a damn on the team. were you expecting to hand it to Othmann?

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
What an absolute joke. Let's commit to a rebuild and then keep back filling to old players that can't skate but will eat minutes. what an absolute joke this org is. No direction what so ever
Yea, like they have all this RW depth. You are too focused on age. It's a one year deal at 800k for a 55-60 point player that can move up and down the lineup. I doubt it affects anything concerning Laf or Kakko. They will get their minutes and need to step up.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I actually like this from a develop the kids standpoint too.
Wheeler will put up points, he might be a defensive liability but he might have more motivation with 1 year deal, and might pick up his game (doubtful but a possibility)

But it also gives othmann some time in the AHL to cook. So we don't rush him into the NHL.

And at 800k its a steal for a guy whos likely to put up at minimum 45 points.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Agreed, so long as they are willing to mix up the line combinations if his play is creating a problem in the top 6.

Like, they shouldn't be afraid to play Wheeler away from Panarin/Kreider if it isn't working.
Gallant isn't here anymore. I have no doubt he will be used effectively.

Reactions: ArPanet

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
Wheel’s definitely declining. He’s probably going to drop off production , if we can get 35-45 points with his salary being what it is along with his veteran leadership im happy. He’s a solid playoff performer as well

He could’ve signed a bigger deal, he could’ve signed a 3m on year deal. The rangers are definitely a contending regardles of the outcome last year. So I’m sure he wants to win a cup before he retires

Love this move. Great job by Dru

Reactions: Daves a mess

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
If you are complaining about this signing you probably need to take a long look in the mirror and think about if you even want this team to win. A guy who is 6'5 and put up 50+ points in 72 games for league minimum? That's a f***ing heist that the rangers never seem to get. This is a deal that we BITCH about other teams getting and the "rangers never being smart enough to do".

f***ing incredible deal.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
55 pts for 800K and people are mad? Trolling?
The only issue here is his character. He was the captain when Buff quit all together, Laine wanted a trade out of Winnipeg. He was just stripped of his captaincy. Combine that with the Rangers locker room that is probably not the toughest and most tightly knit out there...

But in pure on-ice value terms, how can someone be mad? We were going into the season lacking a top-6 RW, wondering if either Panarin or Laf needed to convert. We just signed a 55pt (in 72 games) for basically league minimum. Just enjoy this one, bright lights of New York have their benefits.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
55 point player with size at a position of need at basically league minimum. I guess the Garden mystique still appears to some guys

Reactions: bhamill

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
The only issue here is his character. He was the captain when Buff quit all together, Laine wanted a trade out of Winnipeg. He was just stripped of his captaincy. Combine that with the Rangers locker room that is probably not the toughest and most tightly knit out there...

But in pure on-ice value terms, how can someone be mad? We were going into the season lacking a top-6 RW, wondering if either Panarin or Laf needed to convert. We just signed a 55pt (in 72 games) for basically league minimum. Just enjoy this one, bright lights of New York have their benefits.
Trouba knows him. Hard to not believe that Drury didn’t have a convo with him before the signing.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Can't complain at all with the price and their limited flexibility. Only thing I hope is that we don't see vet deterrence when it comes to ice time, especially for the PP, to the vet compared to Laf and Kakko.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Cartoonish joke of a franchise that this is where they are allocating scarce resources
to.........a top 6 RWer when we have 0 top 6 RWers?

seems good to me?

if it was tarasenko or something i'd understand this comment but I really don't get it. were they supposed to make a trade with no assets or cap (of which, I understand that is a problem they made themselves)?

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ

If the Rangers let a guy come in and ruin the locker room making 800K, that’s more on the leadership in the room.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
How very exciting.

Sather's minime Sather Jr. keeps doing things the Sather NYR way. Woopee.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
If the Rangers let a guy come in and ruin the locker room making 800K, that’s more on the leadership in the room.
Sure, but that's kinda my point. I wouldn't be worried in him landing say Boston, Tampa, Colorado. But with us?

And maybe I'm overplaying this "issue". We should be happy for such a value contract considering our cap crunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad