Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Blake Wheeler [1Y/800K]

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
There are many bottom six options to be had for the contract Wheeler just got. Maybe I’ll be proven wrong.

The price is right, but the player is wrong.
he had 55 points in a universally considered down year. we have the worst RW depth in the league. i would love to add a RW you’re describing but where are they and how can we afford them? especially since we’re very foolishly keeping Goodrow it seem

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
he had 55 points in a universally considered down year. we have the worst RW depth in the league. i would love to add a RW you’re describing but where are they and how can we afford them? especially since we’re very foolishly keeping Goodrow it seem
Did he have a down year or is he cooked? The dude is 35.

I’d have preferred Nieto. Still prefer Sprong. Players like that.

This also ensures that Lafreniere will not be getting top six minutes. Again.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
I am already overwhelmed by all this FREE AGENT FRENZY. Dude is only 4 years younger than I am, which means he will play like 8 games all year.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
The one thing I'll say about fit....

The thing that didn't totally work with both Tarasenko and Kane -- they didn't totally play at the right speed to work with Kreids/Zibs or Bread/Tro.

I don't know if Wheeler can play at a speed that will fit our existing top 6. That would be a concern.

But it's totally possible that a new system will make these things fit better. That's my blind hope.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hey folks,

Wearing my Jets fan hat- I’m really happy for you and Blake.

Yes, the man lost the captaincy, but from what I’ve read, it was due to expecting everyone to put in the same effort as him and his approach wasn’t going over well with the younger players. A culture change was needed- which almost all of us on HF Jets agreed with.

An extremely hard worker and tough as they come. He’s played after rupturing a testicle and maybe missed a shift after slamming into an open bench door.

Yes, his legs have started to fail him and he was playing too much and too far up the lineup, but if he’s in your bottom 6 and playing in the teens, I don’t think you can get any better, especially for league minimum.

Looking forward to seeing him play for you this season.

Last edited:

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
36 year olds don't have the greatest record of recovering from a "down year"

Anyways, its free. Good signing.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The one thing I'll say about fit....

The thing that didn't totally work with both Tarasenko and Kane -- they didn't totally play at the right speed to work with Kreids/Zibs or Bread/Tro.

I don't know if Wheeler can play at a speed that will fit our existing top 6. That would be a concern.

But it's totally possible that a new system will make these things fit better. That's my blind hope.
I’m not sure I understand. Are you saying he’s too slow to play with our slow ass top 6? Or too fast?

We should be looking for bottom six players anyway.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I want young players with wheels and tenacity yo address the lack of those things in the top six. I’d rather pay young, hungry guy to get dirty and drive the other team nuts than a way past his prime former star to be bad at being a scorer.
They just got a 60 point potential player for a 1 year deal worth 800k in a position of need. It's a no fing brainer

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
What an absolute joke. Let's commit to a rebuild and then keep back filling to old players that can't skate but will eat minutes. what an absolute joke this org is. No direction what so ever

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
is wheeler still fast? cant complain about this for 800k. could be a big steal if hes got anything left in the tank.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad