Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Blake Wheeler [1Y/800K]

fm

Jul 28, 2016
he had a good game last night. we are banking points early, our forward group looks very good on the whole, leave it be for another 10 games or so. and i'm the type of guy that's usually dying to get more youth in the lineup

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
he had a good game last night. we are banking points early, our forward group looks very good on the whole, leave it be for another 10 games or so. and i'm the type of guy that's usually dying to get more youth in the lineup
Reportedly Wheeler is a pretty intense guy who really encourages his teammates. For $800k I'm fine with giving him a chance.

fm

Jul 28, 2016
Right. If he has a slow start and hits his stride in 2024 then will we really care about October? And if he continues sucking wind, then we cut him/bench him/Hartford him eventually. But last night was promising

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Agreed, thought he was much more involved last night, should have had an assist and had a number or looks in close.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He had looked better the previous couple of games. Awful tonight.

I get the sense that they will give him another 10 games or so. But I also get the sense they definitely won't keep him around forever if he's not contributing.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Stick a fork in him.

Kane isn't what we need.

This. Plus the last thing I want is someone trying to bottle up a decade ago and sticking him with Panarin in lieu of Laf or on PP1. Kane with Trocheck and Cuylle doesn't strike me as much on the chemistry front.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
He’s playing 3rd like and that shouldn’t change with the kids needing minutes

If he was too 6 like he’s used too then the points would come

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The problem here is that this is Blake Wheeler, not some random scrub. The guy will be treated with respect and will not be professionally embarrassed regardless of how poorly he plays.

The thought process that went into signing this player was incorrect and it’s unfortunately not something that can be easily remedied in season.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The thing about Wheeler was even the last few seasons in Winnipeg when he was putting up okay numbers, his defensive play had fallen off a cliff. There’s a reason Winnipeg dropped him so easily, and why he signed for so cheap. He’s a 2004 draft , he’s old, he’s washed.

Unfortunately he’s a “name” so the Rangers will bend the knee to him.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The thing about Wheeler was even the last few seasons in Winnipeg when he was putting up okay numbers, his defensive play had fallen off a cliff. There’s a reason Winnipeg dropped him so easily, and why he signed for so cheap. He’s a 2004 draft , he’s old, he’s washed.

Unfortunately he’s a “name” so the Rangers will bend the knee to him.

This signing was praised all off-season. It's practically no risk and some decent reward if it works, even if he puts up 30 points.

Reactions: LionsHeart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad