Rumor: Rangers set to sign Michael Lindqvist

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
5'11 170 shouldn't really be considered undersized. That's silly as hell considering the direction the NHL is headed and many guys smaller than that making big impacts. Calling him small or undersized is being stuck in the old NHL mentality of size at all costs
Eh, 5'11" is fine, but 170 at that height is pretty light for an NHL player imo.

Either way, getting any potential NHLers this way is great.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yeah it`s a free asset and he has good positioning even though some open net goals in that tube vids, but he is absolutely worth a contract spot if he has sniper potential talents.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
That one guy compares his shot to tolvanen’s. I’ve seen this kid play a few times on. TV with the Verizon sports package showing shl and khl games. Didn’t notice his release being crazy but did like his speed and edgework. You can’t really tell on that but ice though it’s awful.

Love getting a quick right shooting right wing though. They don’t grow on trees.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I have questions about any player whose scoring jumps when moving up a league. It’s likely situational success that wouldn’t be replicated again. That being said, it’s always worth doing this kind of thing.

He's really young and his if his skating is there and he has an all around 200' game that's a big deal. I like the offensive numbers he put up this year but what a player does when he's not producing is almost as important as that. He has something to fall back on anyway.

I was watching an NHL thing with Eliotte Friedman this morning---they were talking about Kovalchuk who he's pretty sure is going to sign with the Rangers but he brought up three other prospects--one Russian RD Alexander Yelisen (Lokomotiv Yaroslavl) and two Swedes RD-Joel Persson (Vaxjo) and a forward Par Lindholm (Skelleftea).

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I have questions about any player whose scoring jumps when moving up a league. It’s likely situational success that wouldn’t be replicated again. That being said, it’s always worth doing this kind of thing.

Yeah, and don’t get me wrong, my review above was pretty positive, but don’t mistake Lindqvist signing with a Zucc/Hayes/Vesey type of signing.

Lindqvist need to beef up and become more explosive and could definitely end up as a NHLer. But while it’s always hard to peg upside — like what is Arvidsson’s upside? — it’s kind of limited.

The expectations on Lindqvist should IMO be higher than on Stronwall but he is definitely not someone you slot in on the opening night lineup if you get what I mean. He is definitely more of a 2nd rate SHLer/late bloomer who potentially could fit in very well in the modern game in NA.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

I hear what you’re saying but unless they’re suckling the teet of a future star I kind of like seeing the jump in scoring when advancing levels because that somewhat implies a more ‘pro style’ game able to handle tougher assignments and defenders, enhanced by other pros around said prospect, all of which one expects to see in the NHL.

You’re absolutely right though that some prospects can kind of float and disappear among their superior peers only to pop in to mop the leftovers others worked so hard to produce.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
what is this one timer shooting right handed sniping swedish thing ? we already have mika.

and he needs to take alot more time teeing that shot up so as to have it blocked or deflected. and quit hitting the corners so much, weirdo.

and lindqvist ? thats misspelled.

clearly he's a problem and has no place in this organization.

Reactions: Ola and Bozle

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I like this. Has a really nice shot and gets in good positions to score. At the very least can be really good for Hartford
Hopefully we draft Nils Lundkvist (who I can see the Rangers liking a lot)
Lundqvist, Lundkvist, Lindqvist

Reactions: TheTakedown

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah, and don’t get me wrong, my review above was pretty positive, but don’t mistake Lindqvist signing with a Zucc/Hayes/Vesey type of signing.

Lindqvist need to beef up and become more explosive and could definitely end up as a NHLer. But while it’s always hard to peg upside — like what is Arvidsson’s upside? — it’s kind of limited.

I mean Arvidsson just posted back to back 61 point seasons with around 30 goals...

Realistically though with someone like Lindqvust I'd be hoping for a 3rd liner kind of like Fast who can be a utility player all over the ice but you're not expecting him to carry the offense in any real way

Reactions: Ola

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
5'11 170 shouldn't really be considered undersized. That's silly as hell considering the direction the NHL is headed and many guys smaller than that making big impacts. Calling him small or undersized is being stuck in the old NHL mentality of size at all costs
Well, the team we just finished the year with averaged 6'1", 199. I don't know but I'd guess that's pretty representative of the league averages. So, 5'11", 170 is definitely undersized in the sense that it's of less than usual size. The league is absolutely trending towards skill, and a lot of smaller, faster players are making it, but I'd argue that being a couple inches and 30 pounds less than the average player makes it more difficult for a player to succeed. Not impossible, as more and more guys are overcoming that hurdle, but still--if he was 185 or something I'd feel a lot better about his chances.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I mean Arvidsson just posted back to back 61 point seasons with around 30 goals...

Realistically though with someone like Lindqvust I'd be hoping for a 3rd liner kind of like Fast who can be a utility player all over the ice but you're not expecting him to carry the offense in any real way

Exactly and with Arvidsson, if he wasn’t doing that in the NHL, I think we all would have liked him and said that he has 20+20 upside. ;)

Just meant that it is hard to talk about upside because under perfect circumstances some players goes through the roof while under crappy circumstances other very gifted players can hit a ceiling around 40-50 pts.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Well, the team we just finished the year with averaged 6'1", 199. I don't know but I'd guess that's pretty representative of the league averages. So, 5'11", 170 is definitely undersized in the sense that it's of less than usual size. The league is absolutely trending towards skill, and a lot of smaller, faster players are making it, but I'd argue that being a couple inches and 30 pounds less than the average player makes it more difficult for a player to succeed. Not impossible, as more and more guys are overcoming that hurdle, but still--if he was 185 or something I'd feel a lot better about his chances.

To me it's always been a mix. Some bigger--some average--some smaller--some that score more--some that check better--some that hit more--a player or two that can fight and hopefully he or they can do other things at least pretty well. Some Americans--some Europeans--some Canadians. Some young---some in their mid to late 20's and it's okay to have 2-3-4 guys in their 30's.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Flashes of "Luke Glendening, no relation to Adam Clendening, Joe" popping in my head.

I can't wait to hear Sam explain how he is not related to Hank

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
He's really young and his if his skating is there and he has an all around 200' game that's a big deal. I like the offensive numbers he put up this year but what a player does when he's not producing is almost as important as that. He has something to fall back on anyway.

I was watching an NHL thing with Eliotte Friedman this morning---they were talking about Kovalchuk who he's pretty sure is going to sign with the Rangers but he brought up three other prospects--one Russian RD Alexander Yelisen (Lokomotiv Yaroslavl) and two Swedes RD-Joel Persson (Vaxjo) and a forward Par Lindholm (Skelleftea).

He’s not that young. Took him until 23 to make the SHL. Will be 24 before this year starts. For a poorly thought out comparison, how high would you be on a guy who spent 3 years in the ECHL before finally getting a shot at the AHL at 23?

I’m not saying this to be negative, just pointing it out.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
To me it's always been a mix. Some bigger--some average--some smaller--some that score more--some that check better--some that hit more--a player or two that can fight and hopefully he or they can do other things at least pretty well. Some Americans--some Europeans--some Canadians. Some young---some in their mid to late 20's and it's okay to have 2-3-4 guys in their 30's.
Yeah, I mean, I'm with you. There's nothing wrong with a diverse roster of players. I just don't think it's inaccurate to say a guy listed at Lindqvist's size is inaccurate. It doesn't imply that he can't make it or that he's a lesser prospect (it doesn't imply that to me, anyway), it just says he's less than average by a substantial enough amount that it's worth mentioning. And that's really all it is.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He’s not that young. Took him until 23 to make the SHL. Will be 24 before this year starts. For a poorly thought out comparison, how high would you be on a guy who spent 3 years in the ECHL before finally getting a shot at the AHL at 23?

That's not how it works in Europe. Allsvenskan isn't a minor league compared to the SHL. You can't just move to the SHL whenever you want. Lindqvist was property of AIK, the team that developed him as a youngster. AIK played in the Allsvenskan after relegation in 2014. There's not much he can do about that.

Reactions: egelband

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
Anyone ever see him in action? Not highlights I mean actual games, what's his projection what can we expect from him

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

This is not accurate. He signed with AIK when he was 15. When he was 18 or 19 he made his SHL debut and then at 19/20 he played in 45 SHL games, scoring 10 points. Then, AIK was relegated. The last one-year extension he signed with AIK, he said--loosely translated--it was his dream to help AIK make it back to the SHL. He stuck with AIK for three years of Allsvenskan play because it was the team he grew up with.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
That's not how it works in Europe. Allsvenskan isn't a minor league compared to the SHL. You can't just move to the SHL whenever you want. Lindqvist was property of AIK, the team that developed him as a youngster. AIK played in the Allsvenskan after relegation in 2014. There's not much he can do about that.

This is not accurate. He signed with AIK when he was 15. When he was 18 or 19 he made his SHL debut and then at 19/20 he played in 45 SHL games, scoring 10 points. Then, AIK was relegated. The last one-year extension he signed with AIK, he said--loosely translated--it was his dream to help AIK make it back to the SHL. He stuck with AIK for three years of Allsvenskan play because it was the team he grew up with.

Good update about not being in "minors" but otherwise the point stands: his production showed a significant spike despite a higher level of competition.

Reactions: TheTakedown

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
Good depth add. 4th line winger/13th forward. I like it.
Is he projected to be that though? If that's the case then what's the point we have a healthy farm system where any kid can fill a 4th line role, I gotta imagine they think this kid has top 6 potential if we're signing him. I mean I get it the more prospects the better but we have 60 picks in this draft and we picked up a handful of kids at the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad