Rumor: Rangers set to sign Michael Lindqvist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Brandon Pirri 2.0
That's not a bad thing. I liked Pirri. I prefer him over Carey/DD/McLeod/Beleskey as a 12th/13th forward. And even if Pirri isn't on the NHL roster, he's a very good AHL player that can help other players get assists and points. If this guy becomes another Pirri, it's a win for me. And Lindqvist is actually decent defensively, from what I hear. Besides, it didn't cost anything to get him.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

seeems like all his goals came on the PP and or right at the side of the net

How do folks see the puck with all that shit on the ice.

Soccer fields around the world don't have to resort to that shit, why so much colored sponsorship ice? I don't care about the uniforms but let the playing surface be visible.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Brandon Pirri 2.0

Don't see it. Even on PPs he wasn't scoring by bombing away from the point or above the circles (Pirri's trademark).

What's very noticeable is that he's always around the net getting in position to score dirty goals off of deflections, broken plays and scrambles around the net. That's one of the aspects of hockey IQ (but he will need to learn how to execute faster). Solid free signing to see what he can do in Hartford next season.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This is not accurate. He signed with AIK when he was 15. When he was 18 or 19 he made his SHL debut and then at 19/20 he played in 45 SHL games, scoring 10 points. Then, AIK was relegated. The last one-year extension he signed with AIK, he said--loosely translated--it was his dream to help AIK make it back to the SHL. He stuck with AIK for three years of Allsvenskan play because it was the team he grew up with.

Fine so it was his choice. My point pretty much remains the same though.

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
Yeah and AIK is a bit of a cult organization, a little better in soccer than hockey traditionally but they have a die hard group of fans that can be quite militant at times too. Stockholm team.

When Lindqvist resigned with them two years ago it wasn’t due to lack of interest from SHL teams, he wanted to stay there and help the club in the Allsvenskan. It’s hard to describe, but when someone homegrown does that they get like life long support from the die hard fans, and there are quite many of them.

He paid his dues and it was a natural step to go to Färjestad. He could never have signed with the other Stockholm team that plays in the SHL, the AIK fans would never have forgot it and would have terrorized him and his family until they moved...
Is it really that bad?!?! That's crazy lol

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
How do folks see the puck with all that **** on the ice.

Soccer fields around the world don't have to resort to that ****, why so much colored sponsorship ice? I don't care about the uniforms but let the playing surface be visible.

They do the same in rugby. You get used to it.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Fine so it was his choice. My point pretty much remains the same though.
I understand the points you made, I just think they need more context. Yes, his production did jump his first year with Farjestad. But his three prior years with AIK, his point totals went 16-25-39, so he was already showing a good progression at that point. And again, with the promotion/relegation system, he did get to play against some traditional SHL mainstays like MODO and Sodertalje.

The point about him breaking into the SHL at 23, that just wasn't right. Even before he made the choice to stick around with AIK, he did get to play a season in the SHL at age 19/20. Had AIK managed to stay in the SHL he likely would have been a full-time player there from that point forward.

So when I look at the guy's career path, I see a kid who got to play a full year at the highest level at a young age, then developed his game over the next few seasons to the point where he was a very good Allsvenskan player (against mixed levels of competition), who made the jump when he was fully matured and had a great year in the SHL.

Not trying to invalidate your point, because I think your initial one carries some validity--just add context to the discussion. :)

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I don't know anything about the guy, but what can go wrong here? Lets say he is small and unable to contend with the more physical nature of the NHL, what did the Rangers lose? I think we all lost more in time posting about this than the Rangers ever will. There's no downside other than the aforementioned bubble wrap. lol

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I understand the points you made, I just think they need more context. Yes, his production did jump his first year with Farjestad. But his three prior years with AIK, his point totals went 16-25-39, so he was already showing a good progression at that point. And again, with the promotion/relegation system, he did get to play against some traditional SHL mainstays like MODO and Sodertalje.

The point about him breaking into the SHL at 23, that just wasn't right. Even before he made the choice to stick around with AIK, he did get to play a season in the SHL at age 19/20. Had AIK managed to stay in the SHL he likely would have been a full-time player there from that point forward.

So when I look at the guy's career path, I see a kid who got to play a full year at the highest level at a young age, then developed his game over the next few seasons to the point where he was a very good Allsvenskan player (against mixed levels of competition), who made the jump when he was fully matured and had a great year in the SHL.

Not trying to invalidate your point, because I think your initial one carries some validity--just add context to the discussion. :)

My problem with the comparison is exactly that. It's not a structure where people are sent down. Players are not sent down to Allsvenskan or called up to the SHL. It's a flawed reasoning, despite understanding what Tawnos means.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
My problem with the comparison is exactly that. It's not a structure where people are sent down. Players are not sent down to Allsvenskan or called up to the SHL. It's a flawed reasoning, despite understanding what Tawnos means.

It's similar to the Premier League correct? Is every European league similar?

I would be happy with the players breakthrough at that age, not questioning it too much yet. Especially with his progress. How is the SHL fixed on advanced stats? How were his?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't know anything about the guy, but what can go wrong here? Lets say he is small and unable to contend with the more physical nature of the NHL, what did the Rangers lose? I think we all lost more in time posting about this than the Rangers ever will. There's no downside other than the aforementioned bubble wrap. lol
Yes, if he proves completely over-matched they can always just go the mutual termination route like they have with others.

Reactions: Miamipuck

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
if he is a righty shot and he isnt afraid to take it and he hits the corners, its a win. its not like we have an overabundance of shooters on this team.

looks like he's got decent feet too.

seems he's all upside to me.

Reactions: Mikos87

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
For what it's worth, Alex Nunn claims on Twitter that he heard about this a week ago but had to keep it quiet, for whatever reason.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

No downside here specifically but it is essentially a test (or a lost opportunity from the perspective) of our Euro scouts. Once in a while they need to actually find a good prospect to bring value to the organization. Take Stromwall: they zeroed in on him but had to part ways soon after bringing him over. In isolation it's ok but it would be bad if they kept coming up with strike outs.

Last edited:

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Don't see it. Even on PPs he wasn't scoring by bombing away from the point or above the circles (Pirri's trademark).

What's very noticeable is that he's always around the net getting in position to score dirty goals off of deflections, broken plays and scrambles around the net. That's one of the aspects of hockey IQ (but he will need to learn how to execute faster). Solid free signing to see what he can do in Hartford next season.
He has played with Kovacs and Stromwall in the past; so if he he kept up ties with either of them at least he will have an idea what to expect in Hartford next season. Unless of course he has a gentleman’s agreement that if doesn’t make the big club they will allow him to play in Europe.

Reactions: Ola
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->