Rumor: Rangers set to sign Michael Lindqvist

Status
Not open for further replies.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Hyperbole: I get especially worried when I see a spike in production at the NHL level, even more so in the playoffs.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I don’t put tons of weight to a players age when they’re playing outside of the mainstream NA system. People evolve and grow differently. Not trying to be glib. But I think the Next Era of sport management is going to be finding talent in more places and ways. And growing the players in more diverse and personalized ways. Success can be achieved in different ways and I think the next generation of successful franchises will be more creative in their process.
Not that this thought necessarily means anything in terms of Lindqvist. I’m just saying times are changing and some of our assumptions will change. It’s just good business. My two cents :)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The type of hockey played in Europe is also quite different. It's less based on territory (dumping the puck etc) and more based on possession. This is why guys like Buchnevich are often seen circling back when his linemates go for a change, keeping possession of the puck and trying again.

This transition from European hockey to NA hockey is a big step for a lot of players, and has proven to be too big for a large portion of them. The adjustment to the different style takes time. However, I am sure our scouts are capable of finding the players who fit in the more hybrid type of hockey the NHL is turning into, in the next few years.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Good move all around. It's free.

And hey, maybe we hit the lotto and get another Zucc? It's not that likely but you never know, he might turn into a solid NHL player.

If it doesn't work out, like Stromwall, then oh well, no harm.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Henrik Lundqvist
Michael Lindqvist
Nils Lunkwist
Ryan Lindgren

Reacquire Oscar Lindberg for the Holden 3rd rounder.

Please, please, please just to see Sam's head explode.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The type of hockey played in Europe is also quite different. It's less based on territory (dumping the puck etc) and more based on possession. This is why guys like Buchnevich are often seen circling back when his linemates go for a change, keeping possession of the puck and trying again.

This transition from European hockey to NA hockey is a big step for a lot of players, and has proven to be too big for a large portion of them. The adjustment to the different style takes time. However, I am sure our scouts are capable of finding the players who fit in the more hybrid type of hockey the NHL is turning into, in the next few years.

Yeah, and with Swedish hockey it’s like the SHL is uber good at developing Ds that are fantastically poised with the puck and ok wingers — but lol where are the centers??

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
Yeah, and with Swedish hockey it’s like the SHL is uber good at developing Ds that are fantastically poised with the puck and ok wingers — but lol where are the centers??

In the SHL centres are to hockey what caddies are to golf :) A supporting role for defenders and forwards.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This is not accurate. He signed with AIK when he was 15. When he was 18 or 19 he made his SHL debut and then at 19/20 he played in 45 SHL games, scoring 10 points. Then, AIK was relegated. The last one-year extension he signed with AIK, he said--loosely translated--it was his dream to help AIK make it back to the SHL. He stuck with AIK for three years of Allsvenskan play because it was the team he grew up with.

Yeah and AIK is a bit of a cult organization, a little better in soccer than hockey traditionally but they have a die hard group of fans that can be quite militant at times too. Stockholm team.

When Lindqvist resigned with them two years ago it wasn’t due to lack of interest from SHL teams, he wanted to stay there and help the club in the Allsvenskan. It’s hard to describe, but when someone homegrown does that they get like life long support from the die hard fans, and there are quite many of them.

He paid his dues and it was a natural step to go to Färjestad. He could never have signed with the other Stockholm team that plays in the SHL, the AIK fans would never have forgot it and would have terrorized him and his family until they moved...

Reactions: nyr2k2

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah and AIK is a bit of a cult organization, a little better in soccer than hockey traditionally but they have a die hard group of fans that can be quite militant at times too. Stockholm team.

When Lindqvist resigned with them two years ago it wasn’t due to lack of interest from SHL teams, he wanted to stay there and help the club in the Allsvenskan. It’s hard to describe, but when someone homegrown does that they get like life long support from the die hard fans, and there are quite many of them.

He paid his dues and it was a natural step to go to Färjestad. He could never have signed with the other Stockholm team that plays in the SHL, the AIK fans would never have forgot it and would have terrorized him and his family until they moved...

This is what people need to understand. There isn't a affiliate system with a minor league in Sweden. It's promotion-relegation.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
In the SHL centres are to hockey what caddies are to golf :) A supporting role for defenders and forwards.

Yeah exactly, it’s actually somewhat true. The centers get an impossible job description in some areas. They don’t develop well enough, and talents aren’t always put at center either.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Predators’ Prospects Scouting Report: Swedish Free Agents

Sounds like an undersized RH shooting winger who has a good release and thrives on the PP at this point.

I haven't seen him play, but what I read reminds me of Artemi Panarin. I'm not saying ML will be Artemi Panarin, or that they're actually similar players, as text doesn't tell the whole story (otherwise why have videos?). I look forward to seeing him in training camp.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
5'11 and 172lbs is a bit slight honestly.

Agreed. Hopefully size won't be an issue, but even Tyler Johnson, in all his 5"8 glory, weighs over 180 pounds. Fortunately, however, weight can be managed -- and there are plenty of successful players under 6". Let's see what this kid can do.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This is what people need to understand. There isn't a affiliate system with a minor league in Sweden. It's promotion-relegation.
I mean there's the J20, but yeah outside of that it's your standard pyramid system that everyone (basically) outside of the US uses. No affiliates or recalls or demotions. There can be loans, of course, but that's about it when it comes to moving between levels. It's a hard concept for a lot of North American fans to grasp.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Europeans are more tactical. The Swedes in particular seem to always be just a little bit ahead of other countries in teaching the fundamentals. Part of the issue for Europeans coming to North America is there's less room because the rinks are smaller and that makes puck possession a lot harder. It's also rougher and more physical--some North Americans might not be as schooled as their European counterparts but they have the advantage of a lifetime playing on smaller rinks--they don't have to adjust to a new way of playing. The Europeans who succeed are the ones who can adapt and they tend to play a kind of hybrid game that takes elements from both European and North American hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad