Rangers Season Ticket Holders - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
The problem with the secondary market is that more and more fans are becoming STHs with the expectation of going to about half the games and then selling the rest thus flooding the market. The dynamics of the lower bowl has totally changed since I became a STH in that those games are almost impossible to sell and make a profit on. The schedule looks strong starting with the Flyers game in late November and continuing until the Finals this upcoming Spring!

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Some one in the last thread asked if it's taking longer to go thru security this year as opposed to last year. Last year was a PIA and no I don't feel more safe, just annoyed and aggravated. It's all for show these guys aren't protecting anyone from any terrorist group.

The first thing I noticed this year was the long line to get in for the bag search, then the 2nd line was a pat down and finally the 3rd line was the wand. I mean c'mon who we kidding here. It's ridiculous.

Someone else also mentioned the terrible ticket market for October. No one wanted to go to the game with me tonight so I wound up eating my 2nd ticket. I couldn't even scalp it outside for a few bucks.

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
Some one in the last thread asked if it's taking longer to go thru security this year as opposed to last year. Last year was a PIA and no I don't feel more safe, just annoyed and aggravated. It's all for show these guys aren't protecting anyone from any terrorist group.

The first thing I noticed this year was the long line to get in for the bag search, then the 2nd line was a pat down and finally the 3rd line was the wand. I mean c'mon who we kidding here. It's ridiculous.

Someone else also mentioned the terrible ticket market for October. No one wanted to go to the game with me tonight so I wound up eating my 2nd ticket. I couldn't even scalp it outside for a few bucks.

Both things will get better. Security tends to get more lax as the season moves on and the guards get their routine down. As far as terrible ticket market in October it has always been that way especially when the Rangers are playing a team like the Hurricanes and also going against the Jets on Thursday night football. It will be interesting Sunday with the Rangers going head to head against Giants/Cowboys.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
The problem with the secondary market is that more and more fans are becoming STHs with the expectation of going to about half the games and then selling the rest thus flooding the market. The dynamics of the lower bowl has totally changed since I became a STH in that those games are almost impossible to sell and make a profit on. The schedule looks strong starting with the Flyers game in late November and continuing until the Finals this upcoming Spring!

You are 100% correct. Look at this place, and look at how many people we have here that think they are ticket brokers and are practically day-trading tickets. Guys would be better off getting a few people to take a few games each. I have 3 people this year that are taking between 5-8 games and another 2 or 3 that take 1 or 2 games each year. I put maybe 5 on stub hub and donated 2 games. Yes, I miss out on some chances to make a profit, but in the grand scheme of things, it is not that much money. My tickets for tuesday, I got $50 over face after fees. Almost doubled my money on that game, but $100 is not going to change my life. On the otherhand, I have eaten only about 5 tickets total in 15 years as a STH.

The other issue is the pricing of the lower bowl. We have guys on here who took lower bowl seats as a foot in the door, knowing they can't really afford to go to every game and were willing to take a loss on most games just to get some money back. The lower prices on the secondary market in the lower bowl impacts the upper bowl. The average person looking on the secondary market will see lowers for ~$100 and then uppers for ~$80 for a low demand game and think, "For an extra $20, I would rather sit down low." If they can afford to spend $80 for their ticket, they can afford $100.

Then again, we are talking about a mid-week game in October against Carolina on a night the Jets are playing the Patriots.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Tough to tell because we really haven't had any October games in recent years. Last time we had a big chunk was pre-renovation and the prices were much cheaper back then. That 9 game December homestand last year was a bloodbath from what I remember. The Nashville, Columbus, and Calgary games all had tickets in the 100's for $40-$60 day of the game.

Agreed, which is why I LOVED the schedule format after the 2005 lockout. Could care less about most of the western Conference teams. If I was named Grand Supreme Ruler of the Universe, I would set the schedule format 6 games against division teams (42), 3 games against the other division in the conference (24) 1 game against the other conference (14) for a total of 80. Then, 2 standings games. Top 2 teams in Atlantic from year before plays top 2 in metro. 3rd and 4th play 3rd and 4th, 5th and 6th and so on.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
GordonGecko said:
And it's not like they're making anybody safer. I sometimes carry a swiss army knife, and if I forget I have it and I'm at the gate I just hold the knife with my keys as I get wanded and sail right through lol

Last night when the guy kept making me take stuff out of my pocket (gum, receipts, metrocards, etc.) he told me they were checking for swiss army knives.

AHB*

Yea, this is nothing new. Markets in October suck. Jets V. Patriots was on last night. NLCS was on. There were a lot of options. Rangers are playing like garbage, not a marquee matchup.

That being said, Garden was packed and pretty into the game, even though it wasn't that great of one.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I just got an invite to a STH viewing party for the Debs game on Tuesday. Anyone know how often they have these? Obviously they can't invite all STHs to every one of these.

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
I just got an invite to a STH viewing party for the Debs game on Tuesday. Anyone know how often they have these? Obviously they can't invite all STHs to every one of these.

Not as often as in years past. Maybe 2-3 times a year and I think they do invite all STHs to these events

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
So I take it you can no longer apply TE credits to current reg season balances? ONly towards playoffs and/or next season?

Man they really limit you now. This used to be so easy to do.

SOB's

I sold a pair on ticket exchange 2 weeks ago, emailed my rep to apply towards my november payment. she did it.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
It has always been like that. Sits in your account as a credit unless you ask for them to do otherwise. If you have a balance after, they automatically apply it towards your play-off invoice.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
So I take it you can no longer apply TE credits to current reg season balances? ONly towards playoffs and/or next season?

Man they really limit you now. This used to be so easy to do.

SOB's

Why would you want to lose your 1%+ credit card rewards by applying that money to your other ticket purchases?

Charge everything possible to your card, have TE money deposited straight to your bank account - it's seamless

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Why would you want to lose your 1%+ credit card rewards by applying that money to your other ticket purchases?

Charge everything possible to your card, have TE money deposited straight to your bank account - it's seamless

Exactly, it's been a few years since you were able to get the money sent straight to your bank account.

Rangers110

Apr 29, 2012
I was away this weekend, how did the market hold up for the sharks game?

From the prices I was seeing on stubhub there were many bargains to be had.
Someone in my section 220 has 6 1st row Gallery seats listed on Stubhub and from what I could tell they didn't sell at all. All 6 seats were empty. These were my 6 seats last year. Thankfully I switched to less expensive seats.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Someone in my section 220 has 6 1st row Gallery seats listed on Stubhub and from what I could tell they didn't sell at all. All 6 seats were empty. These were my 6 seats last year. Thankfully I switched to less expensive seats.

Yeah there were deals to be had the day of but it wasn't as bad as the Hurricanes game. It was still $70 - $75ish and up to get in for a pair the night before and got down to $60 the day of from what I saw.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

Yeah, 1st row gallery are great if you actually use them...but not so much if you are looking to sell.

Rangers110

Apr 29, 2012
Yeah, 1st row gallery are great if you actually use them...but not so much if you are looking to sell.
I couldn't agree more. I was trying for 4 each 2nd row Gallery seats in a row but had to settle for 2 in the 1st and 2 in the 2nd. I actually like the 2nd row Gallery seats better. You can see over the glass and the tv's aren't a partial obstruction. I am offering my 1st row Gallery Seats at about $25 below face for the mid-week non-premium games.
The 2nd row seats are much easier to sell for at least face if you sell them privately or on Craigslist

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010
Here's my recent experience regarding 2nd row (center) gallery resales.

My face is $104.

Over the course of regular season about a break even (including exhibs).

First two rounds of playoffs small premium. Game 7's decent premium.

Third round decent premium.

SC... the return.

I'm not in the ticket selling business so all I ask is to not lose money on the games I need to sell. So far ok but the margins are gone. Otherwise, I might as well buy individual tix to the games I wish to attend.

A few years ago ... paid $60 for 1st row. No problem selling average $80 net.

At my current price point a pair cost the stubhub buyer $260 for a pair for me to break even. The price isn't cheap.

I can envision the day when team struggles and the last 7-10 games become exhibition games with exhibition prices.

My tix are now fully priced and I assume going higher.

My point:

Early on this year, Tix are moving slower than I expected. I can only imagine the resale price if the economy turns a bit sluggish or the team falters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad