Confirmed with Link: Rangers re-sign Derek Stepan [2 years, $6.15M, $3.075M AAV]

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Hopefully this gives us a better chance in the first few games so Cally can chill out for an extra week. Cally needs to be as strong as a mama grizzly bear before getting back. He's had too many years of playoff injuries.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I guess the 35% contract variance is based on the larger or later of the two years and not the smaller or earlier one.

Even if that's the case, it still doesn't add up. According to my math, the difference is 40.26%.

I looked up the rule:

http://www.allhabs.net/blog/2013/01/07/know-the-nhl-nhlpa-agreement-new-cba-101/

To prevent NHL GMs from thinking everyone but them is stupid, the new CBA has set some limits on variance within a contract. Therefore, the difference between two consecutive years of a contract cannot be more than 35 percent of the previous amount. Also, the variance of any year in the contract must be within 50 percent of the highest year of the said contract. You didn’t get that? That’s okay, we’ll wait for the GMs to find yet another loophole so they can shoot themselves in the foot again.

Based on this, Stepan's year 2 salary can't be more than 3.105 mil. What am I missing?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
GAG and Tawnos, the variability rule applies only to front-loaded SPCs. See below:

50.7 Variability Rules for Multi-Year SPCs.
(a) For all "Front-Loaded SPCs" (as defined below), the difference between the stated
Player Salary and Bonuses in any immediately adjacent League Years of that SPC cannot exceed
thirty-five (35) percent of the stated Player Salary and Bonuses of the first League Year of such
Front-Loaded SPC

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
PK Subban has $2M and $3.75M. Subban didn't see much of the $2M with the lockout and the week he missed being an unsigned player.

Stepan has $2.3M and $3.85M.

Stepan got a better 2nd contract than the Norris Trophy winner. Money. Structure. Stepan didn't come close to $3.5M. Why this couldn't have been done last week or 10 days ago is a joke.

50.7 Variability Rules for Multi-Year SPCs.

(a) For all "Front-Loaded SPCs" (as defined below), the difference between the stated Player Salary and Bonuses in any immediately adjacent League Years of that SPC cannot exceed thirty-five (35) percent of the stated Player Salary and Bonuses of the first League Year of such Front-Loaded SPC. Additionally, under no circumstances may the stated Player Salary and Bonuses in any League Year of a Front-Loaded SPC be less than fifty (50) percent of the highest stated Player Salary and Bonuses in a League Year of that same Front-Loaded SPC.

(i) To determine whether an SPC is a Front-Loaded SPC:

(A) Take the total number of League Years in the SPC and divide by two (2) ("First-Half Term");

(B) Add the amounts of all stated Player Salary and Bonuses in the First-Half Term. If the SPC has an odd number of League Years, allocate to the first half of the SPC one-half of the stated Player Salary and Bonuses paid to the Player in the middle League Year of such SPC (e.g., the fourth year of a seven-year SPC) ("First- Half Stated Player Salary and Bonuses");

(C) Divide the First-Half Stated Player Salary and Bonuses by the First-Half Term. The resulting amount shall be the "First-Half Averaged Amount";

(D) Calculate the Averaged Amount of the SPC in a manner consistent with Section 50.5(d)(ii);

(E) If the First-Half Averaged Amount is greater than the Averaged Amount for the entire term of the SPC, such SPC is a "Front- Loaded SPC" and must comply with Section 50.7(a). Any SPC other than a Front-Loaded SPC must comply with Section 50.7(b) rather than Section 50.7(a).

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The MOU

Contract Variability

For multi-year SPCs that are “Front-Loaded Contracts,” i.e., where the average of the Player Salary and Bonuses in the first one-half of the contract is greater than the AA over the full term of the SPC:

a) Year-to-year variability in compensation (each year’s Salary and Bonuses) will be limited to 35% of the compensation (Salary and Bonuses) in the first year of the SPC. For example, if a Player earns $10 million in compensation (Salary and Bonuses) in Year 1 of his SPC, his compensation (Salary and Bonuses) cannot increase or decrease by more than $3.5 million in any subsequent year of the SPC.

b) The lowest year’s compensation (Salary and Bonuses) cannot be less than 50% of the highest year’s compensation (Salary and Bonuses) of the SPC. For example, if in the highest year’s compensation (Salary and Bonuses) of a Player’s SPC, he earns $10 million in total compensation (Salary and Bonuses), he may never earn less than $5 million in any single year during the term of his SPC.

For all other multi-year SPCs (i.e., not Front-Loaded Contracts as defined above), the 100% Rule shall apply.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Hopefully this gives us a better chance in the first few games so Cally can chill out for an extra week. Cally needs to be as strong as a mama grizzly bear before getting back. He's had too many years of playoff injuries.

Not sure why Cally needs an extra week. He was participating in all drills and has now been cleared for contact. I'll be surprised if he isn't in the opening night lineup on Oct 3.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Vigneault says no. Callahan won't be playing next week. He was cleared for contact for the first time yesterday.

Could have sworn they mentioned last night during the broadcast that once he's deemed in game shape he's ready to go now that he's been cleared since he's already been skating and practicing with the team in recent weeks. Guess we'll know for sure next Thursday.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
All I care about is that he is signed and in our colors. End of story.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Contact in drills isn't the same as game time contact. No one gets a dislocated shoulder or a torn labrum in practice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad