Confirmed with Link: Rangers re-sign Derek Stepan [2 years, $6.15M, $3.075M AAV]

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
They should keep Asham. Powe has looked good for what a 4th liner should provide, HOWEVER, he was underwhelming last year and the presence of a veteran tough guy who can play the game (Asham) outweighs the very average play of Powe. With cally and hagelin out, young guys will get the opportunity early on and the rangers cant afford to be pushed around. Asham and Dorsett on the 4th line.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
They should keep Asham. Powe has looked good for what a 4th liner should provide, HOWEVER, he was underwhelming last year and the presence of a veteran tough guy who can play the game (Asham) outweighs the very average play of Powe. With cally and hagelin out, young guys will get the opportunity early on and the rangers cant afford to be pushed around. Asham and Dorsett on the 4th line.

I've always liked Asham's game. Don't consider him a liability with the puck whatsoever, and he does add an element of toughness that the team is missing without him. The one area Powe excels is penalty killing, but I think with the addition of Moore, he's expendable.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
I'm interested to see what the pk will look like with Callahan and Hagelin out.
A lot of guys have looked good on the pk in preseason

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
naturally we don't know the real ins-and-outs of the negotiation, but, yes, on the surface it seems a very useless holdout.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Would prefer to keep Asham over Powe...

Powe was underwhelming while I feel like Asham is energetic and can contribute some offense while also adding to overall toughness on a small level. He can drop the gloves if needed. Having him and Dorsett as regulars is enough for me, as I feel like the overall team isn't soft at all. We won't get bullied around. If we do, we can call up Mashinter and/or Bickel (in a forward role) as added toughness. That won't often be necessary is my belief atm.

Edit: And Haley... are any of Haley/Bickel on one-way contracts right now? I think I remember reading that. Unsure.

Mrpuck

May 3, 2007
East Coast
Agreed with the above posters, for what Asham brought (when he was healthy) he was worth it I felt on on 4th line.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Stepan will leave tonight from Minnesota, undergo a physical and fitness testing in New York and practice Sunday when the team returns from the fianl preseason tilt against the Kings in Las Vegas.

"We got offered a deal on Monday, one that we felt was about the closest one where’d we’d probably end up at," he said on a conference call a little while ago. "It took us a couple days to gather ourselves, I talked to my family, by Wednesday night we gave the Rangers a call to make sure we got it done by today....The urgency came from the fact that I was ready to play and I think New York was really ready to have this be done with...I don’t think I’m too far off (in conditioning), there’s going to need to be some times where I need to catch up a little bit."

But he was antsy: "I didn’t expect it to go this long. When you’re sitting at home and the team is working you want to know what’s going on, and I had Ryan (McDonagh) in there, I talked to a lot of guys, trying to see where everyone was at. I would ask about systems and some of the games and how they went, we discussed what the coach is looking for and a lot of good things were being said, so I’m just super excited to get there

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...year-6-15-million-contract-1.6147873?p=981104

Stepan skated 3 days per week at Wisconsin with the hockey team.

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
Matt Oates found a job where he is actually more useless than he was as a hockey player.

Great job, Matt. That holdout really did wonders for your take-home.

Turd.

Refer to this post
Uh, 5% = $8,750

10% = $17,500

I would sit out for a couple of weeks for that money.

hopefully he's fired...

What exactly do you expect an agent to do? His only interests are his own and his clients. Not the club. Certainly not the fans.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Nice tidbit about Stepan maintaining a line of communication with McD and others in order to stay somewhat in the loop on AV's new system. I find little things like this interesting. :p:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
One would think with all of the resources the Rangers have at their disposal, that the video guys would have recorded some of the important introduction meetings from AV and the staff to start training camp - and they can show that to Stepan when he arrives at the training facility.

One would think...

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Rick Nash, who has looked sluggish in his two exhibition games while skating on a unit centered by Brad Richards, would seem the most likely candidate to open on the right side with Stepan. With Stepan, Brad Richards, Derick Brassard and Dominic Moore down the middle, it is possible — if not likely — that Vigneault would move Brian Boyle from center to the wing.

Stepan’s signing would cast Darroll Powe’s future as a Ranger into jeopardy given the club’s tight cap squeeze.

"Sluggish" is a good word. So is "lethargic".

Powe is Mr. Preseason. He will be playing his 4th preseason game tonight.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Step could have held out for more, 3.2 or 3.3, but he decided to sign to get ready for opening night.
Way to be a team player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad