Confirmed with Link: Rangers re-sign Derek Stepan [2 years, $6.15M, $3.075M AAV]

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Uh, 5% = $8,750

10% = $17,500

I would sit out for a couple of weeks for that money.

They generally get 4%, at least that's what I've seen in the past NHL doesn't have a cap though so he could be fleecing his clients. Either way, it's a kick in the teeth when he wanted an extra 4m per year.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I know that.

That's the point I am making here.

Holding out may have been over two issues.

Total dollars AND Structure.

The parties may have conceded on one issue and held firm on the other issue.

AAV at 3.075 is a win for Sather based on comparables so for arguments sake I am going to say that Stepan conceded total dollars and Sather concded structure as the cap will go up and the team will have more room in 2 seasons.

This is part of the negotiations that take place. Give in one area to get in another taking furture conditions into consideration.

We don't even know how the deal is structured yet is my point regarding the QO. I agree that 3.075 AAV is favorable for Sather.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
We don't even know how the deal is structured yet is my point regarding the QO. I agree that 3.075 AAV is favorable for Sather.

Unless he takes a big step backward there's no way the QO is going to actually matter. The maximum the 2nd year can be is ~$3.53m, with the 35% variance rule. He's going to get more than that on his next deal.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Wonder how Matt Oates feels having earned his client an additional what $175k? Which would translate to very little for the agent when all is said and done. Solid negotiating pal.

Glad Stepan is signed.

are we talking annual dollars?

Anyway you slice it, 350k is a lot of money, even to millionaire's. And since these agents doe the work for the players, I'm sure he had Stepan's blessing the whole way.

And again, we are not addressing the complete deal here as we do not know the structure of the contract.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Unless he takes a big step backward there's no way the QO is going to actually matter. The maximum the 2nd year can be is ~$3.53m, with the 35% variance rule. He's going to get more than that on his next deal.

I would look at the 2nd year as being very important.

Assuming he continues to get better, the 2nd year means little as the next contract will take care of itself.

Assuming he stagnates developementally, making sure that his 2nd year is as high as is can be ensures that he makes at the very LEAST 3.45 in 2015-16

If I'm an agent, it's mu job to make sure that should the worse thing happen, my client is covered beyond this contract.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I would look at the 2nd year as being very important.

Assuming he continues to get better, the 2nd year means little as the next contract will take care of itself.

Assuming he stagnates developementally, making sure that his 2nd year is as high as is can be ensures that he makes at the very LEAST 3.45 in 2015-16

If I'm an agent, it's mu job to make sure that should the worse thing happen, my client is covered beyond this contract.

If he stagnates, then it looks like he'll be putting up ~50 points per season, than he's worth at least $4m on his 3rd contract. Look at what Dubinsky got after his 54 point season. That's what I mean about him having to take a big step backwards for the QO to matter. If he stagnates, it won't matter because he'll still get a raise from his QO.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN #NYR Can confirm deal is worth $6.15M in total. Also, plan is for Stepan to fly to NY 2night, meet up w/ team once they return from out West

Doesn't sound right, our first 5 games are out west. I guess this means that the team will fly back to NY between the Vegas game on Friday and the opener in Phoenix and he will rejoin the team then?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The CBA calls for 2 days off in training camp.

d) Players shall be provided with two (2) mandatory days off during Training Camp, with each Player being provided one (1) day off during the first half of Training Camp and the other day off during the second half of Training Camp. Each Player may be given a different day off. A day off shall be a day off for all purposes, except that if a Club travels following the conclusion of a game, the next day may be considered a day off if the Club is scheduled to arrive at its destination city by no later than 2:00 a.m. local time. If a Club travels on the day following a game (i.e., stays at a hotel overnight and departs the following morning), such day may not be considered a day off.

The Rangers had a day off last Friday in Banff. Yesterday was probably the Rangers 2nd day off. They left Edmonton for Vancouver after the game and most likely arrived in Vancouver by 2AM. The Rangers didn't skate yesterday. Their flight from Las Vegas to NY on Friday night won't arrive in NY by 2AM local time. That's not considered a day off. Who wrote this ****? AV said Stepan will practice with the team on Sunday. The team is off on Saturday. Sunday,Monday,Tuesday and Wednesday as practice days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad