Confirmed with Link: Rangers re-sign Derek Stepan [2 years, $6.15M, $3.075M AAV]

Parker

Mar 25, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Disappointed that our projected #1 center is missing all the training camp/preseason stuff. Hope that doesn't set him back too much when he actually signs and starts playing, but I feel like it's already setting a bad tone for the season.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Drew Doughty signed one week before the regular season in 2011. The Kings won the Cup that year and they had a coaching change during the season. PK Subban missed the first 8 days and 4 games of the 48 game lockout year. He won the Norris last season. MTL had a new coaching staff too. Just sign the contract and the rest of the stuff will fall into place. Doughty signed a long term contract. Subban signed a two year contract. Sign the contract this week. The Rangers don't open until next Thursday. The cap compliant rosters are due next Monday so this is a big week. Season opens on Tuesday.

KreiMeARiver*

^ All true, but it's still certainly not ideal. PK pissed off some teammates in the process.

I'm praying it gets done this week.

rangersbaby

Sep 29, 2011
Drew Doughty signed one week before the regular season in 2011. The Kings won the Cup that year and they had a coaching change during the season. PK Subban missed the first 8 days and 4 games of the 48 game lockout year. He won the Norris last season. MTL had a new coaching staff too. Just sign the contract and the rest of the stuff will fall into place. Doughty signed a long term contract. Subban signed a two year contract. Sign the contract this week. The Rangers don't open until next Thursday. The cap compliant rosters are due next Monday so this is a big week. Season opens on Tuesday.

I hope he holds out so you can go on that first road trip and come back 1-7 because the organization wants to show a 21 year old kid he has no rights in the CBA by the way who was considered by most on this board better than nash last year while making 875 and he completely outplayed his first contract. Now he sees mostly every one else in his situation getting long term deals thrown in his face... He has accepted the fact that a bridge deal is what he will sign but wants fair value which is not 2.9....
Pay him 3.4 or risk losing your most consistent forward to start the season and possibly have to climb your way back into the playoff picture after 8 games.
No Stepan, Callahan, and hagelin to start the year on the west coast road trip..... GOOD LUCK.....
That is how you spell L-E-V-E-R-A-G-E people. He can sit out the year and have it go to arbitration next year and get 5.5 per. The club treats the player like a piece of meat because they have no rights and the fans on this board like that. Pay him what he is worth or what fair market value is for him. But dont get pissed when the player looks out for himself. Who does he owe this too. The club, The fans, His family, Himself. He showed up and made the club as a 19 yr old kid played every game since then had some up and downs along the way but got better and more complete every year.
He is our number 1 center and gets paid like a 6th or 7th forward. He knows his worth and his agent knows his worth I like that he is sticking it to the man a little...

Championship*

I hope he holds out so you can go on that first road trip and come back 1-7 because the organization wants to show a 21 year old kid he has no rights in the CBA by the way who was considered by most on this board better than nash last year while making 875 and he completely outplayed his first contract. Now he sees mostly every one else in his situation getting long term deals thrown in his face... He has accepted the fact that a bridge deal is what he will sign but wants fair value which is not 2.9....
Pay him 3.4 or risk losing your most consistent forward to start the season and possibly have to climb your way back into the playoff picture after 8 games.
No Stepan, Callahan, and hagelin to start the year on the west coast road trip..... GOOD LUCK.....
That is how you spell L-E-V-E-R-A-G-E people. He can sit out the year and have it go to arbitration next year and get 5.5 per. The club treats the player like a piece of meat because they have no rights and the fans on this board like that. Pay him what he is worth or what fair market value is for him. But dont get pissed when the player looks out for himself. Who does he owe this too. The club, The fans, His family, Himself. He showed up and made the club as a 19 yr old kid played every game since then had some up and downs along the way but got better and more complete every year.
He is our number 1 center and gets paid like a 6th or 7th forward. He knows his worth and his agent knows his worth I like that he is sticking it to the man a little...

Larry?

If the Rangers **** the bed on this road trip, and its because of the lack of Step, then this team has bigger problems than him.

No money, No Team USA, No recourse other than an offer sheet that isn't coming. That's leverage.

Great for him "sticking it to the man." The man will be sticking it to him far worse if he misses time into the season.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Are you finished? Stepan will be back in the same spot missing a year. He needs 4 years to be arbitration eligible. He has 3 years. He signed his ELC at 20 and needs 4 years. You don't even know the ****ing rules. Stepan needs to have a contract by December 1 or he can't play this season. He needs to play and produce to be considered for the US Olympic team.The Rangers are willing to pay $3.2M. The Rangers and Stepan need each other.

rangersbaby

Sep 29, 2011
Larry?

If the Rangers **** the bed on this road trip, and its because of the lack of Step, then this team has bigger problems than him.

No money, No Team USA, No recourse other than an offer sheet that isn't coming. That's leverage.

Great for him "sticking it to the man." The man will be sticking it to him far worse if he misses time into the season.

I didnt just say steps.
They are already down cally and hags. Add step to that list it doesnt make it any easier.
He can make 5 million tax free in KHL no questions asked if he wants.
St petersburg is only a 4 hour flight to Socchi....
He is than arb eligible than next year and gets 5.5 through arbitration when he comes back.
Not that I think this is the right play or he would do that..... but he could if he wanted too.
3.5 is more than fair for what he has done in 3 years in this league. He has played in a defensive system as well and has only 10 less points in 30 fewer games than duchene. And is way more responsible defensively.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I didnt just say steps.
They are already down cally and hags. Add step to that list it doesnt make it any easier.
He can make 5 million tax free in KHL no questions asked if he wants.
St petersburg is only a 4 hour flight to Socchi....
He is than arb eligible than next year and gets 5.5 through arbitration when he comes back.
Not that I think this is the right play or he would do that..... but he could if he wanted too.
3.5 is more than fair for what he has done in 3 years in this league. He has played in a defensive system as well and has only 10 less points in 30 fewer games than duchene. And is way more responsible defensively.

You should stop while you're behind.

Drewbackatu*

Disappointed that our projected #1 center is missing all the training camp/preseason stuff. Hope that doesn't set him back too much when he actually signs and starts playing, but I feel like it's already setting a bad tone for the season.

It's ok to be disappointed that he and his agent haven't come to their senses but it's not like Jean Beliveau is missing from our lineup. I'm sure it'll get worked out sooner rather than later but if it doesn't, the team will be fine.

Drewbackatu*

Not for nothing, his career playoff numbers(14 pts in 37 games) are emblematic of a 6th or 7th forward.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
It's ok to be disappointed that he and his agent haven't come to their senses but it's not like Jean Beliveau is missing from our lineup. I'm sure it'll get worked out sooner rather than later but if it doesn't, the team will be fine.

Baloney.

The team will be hurt just as much by Stepan's absence as Stepan will be hurt by not playing. Its an impending trainwreck for both sides, and even though it doesnt look plausible, I still can't see this not getting done before the season opener.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Extension this year a whole year ahead of time

Read, Couturier, Bergeron, Malkin, Letang, Pavelski, Couture, Brown, Bouwmeester, N.-Hopkins, Hjalmarsson, Crawford, Landeskog, Duchene

Non arbitration RFA signed
Pietrangelo, Johansson, Kadri, Henrique, Josi, Hodgson

Unsigned non arbitration eligible RFAs
Franson, Stepan

My favorite team has 6 players who have a full year or more of NHL experience signed for next season, 5 if they buyout Richards.

Other teams are not only signing their core players even if they have to pay a bit more than they would like, in many cases they are signing them a whole year before they need to. My team is smarter, they are using leverage and the predefined CBA schedule of deadlines to build their team as if these contracts will be cheaper as the cap goes up.

NorthlandPro

Nov 22, 2007
Suwanee GA
Are you finished? Stepan will be back in the same spot missing a year. He needs 4 years to be arbitration eligible. He has 3 years. He signed his ELC at 20 and needs 4 years. You don't even know the ****ing rules. Stepan needs to have a contract by December 1 or he can't play this season. He needs to play and produce to be considered for the US Olympic team.The Rangers are willing to pay $3.2M. The Rangers and Stepan need each other.

I'm 100% with you. He has no leverage. In fact he is starting to piss me off. If I am Slats I tell him forget the 12/1 deadline, you have until 10/3 t sign otherwise, talk to me in June kid, bye.

Drewbackatu*

Baloney.

The team will be hurt just as much by Stepan's absence as Stepan will be hurt by not playing. Its an impending trainwreck for both sides, and even though it doesnt look plausible, I still can't see this not getting done before the season opener.

Baloney? Never a big fan of it; always preferred Salami. Tell ya the truth, I'm hoping the team get's off to a great start so the pressure really intensifies on Derek & his agent.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Agree with RB and co. And also with being strict with the deadline. While the team and him need one another, he will be the one not playing and not winning games if he an agent refuse an already generous bridge contract.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Baloney? Never a big fan of it; always preferred Salami. Tell ya the truth, I'm hoping the team get's off to a great start so the pressure really intensifies on Derek & his agent.

Im hoping that Stepan is dressed on October 3rd in Phoenix.

What Im not doing is downplaying Stepan's importance to the team just because he isn't signed. All of a sudden, Brad Richards goes from playoff scratch to top 6 center again all because Stepan is in a contract dispute. Funny how that happens.

Drewbackatu*

I'm 100% with you. He has no leverage. In fact he is starting to piss me off. If I am Slats I tell him forget the 12/1 deadline, you have until 10/3 t sign otherwise, talk to me in June kid, bye.

I'm with you.

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
Ill'n this ran into a new thread.... just sign and play hockey Steps.

You Torts will probably try to trade for "his guys" in Vancouver. Maybe this is Sathers opportunity to upgrade

end2endrush

Sep 6, 2012
He's just getting greedy now. I dont get what hes trying to prove, can he not live off of 3 mil? The 3.5 is really necessary right?? For the love or the money steps? Id bet the latter

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Extension this year a whole year ahead of time

Read, Couturier, Bergeron, Malkin, Letang, Pavelski, Couture, Brown, Bouwmeester, N.-Hopkins, Hjalmarsson, Crawford, Landeskog, Duchene

Non arbitration RFA signed
Pietrangelo, Johansson, Kadri, Henrique, Josi, Hodgson

Unsigned non arbitration eligible RFAs
Franson, Stepan

My favorite team has 6 players who have a full year or more of NHL experience signed for next season, 5 if they buyout Richards.

Other teams are not only signing their core players even if they have to pay a bit more than they would like, in many cases they are signing them a whole year before they need to. My team is smarter, they are using leverage and the predefined CBA schedule of deadlines to build their team as if these contracts will be cheaper as the cap goes up.

Hockey is different here.

Overpay the mercs, squeeze the home grown guys.

love it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad