Rumor: Rangers One of Many to Extend a Tryout to Ryan Malone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Sather offers PTOs every year. Nedved, Exelby, Hedberg to name a few.

If he has a good camp, he pushes people. If he sucks he gets cut.

People are acting like he's going to derail the season.

Pretty much the SOP round these parts for the last decade. Not going to change.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If he works out and the Rangers sign him--they'll probably flip a veteran (Lombardi for instance) for a draft pick. There's more than one way the Rangers can benefit if Malone can prove he can still play.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Sather offers PTOs every year. Nedved, Exelby, Hedberg to name a few.

If he has a good camp, he pushes people. If he sucks he gets cut.

People are acting like he's going to derail the season.

I do think Malone, if somewhat back on track, has much bigger chance of playing than Nedved and Exelby. We lack size and we really need it. Malone is big and goes hard to the net.

BarbaraAlphanse

I feel like the rangers will give him the tryout. Big body. If Hayes isnt ready then they look to Malone if he can prove himself. Seems like rangers want to be bigger.

Even without Malone in camp the Rangers already have one of the deepest set of guys realistically vying for a roster spot that I can remember.

Considering that they have 9 offensive positions locked down already:

Kreider
Stepan
Nash
MSL
Hagelin
Zuccarello
Brassard
Moore
Stempniak

2 offensive positions all but reserved for two guys:

Glass
Miller

There will be 1 spot remaining that is attainable for the remaining guys:

Lindberg
Lombardi
Malone
Fast
Kristo
Hayes
Haggerty
Bourque's
Mueller
Duclair

Dang.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So what's the deal here? Did we give him an official invitation? Will he be attending camp? This was always kind of speculative, from what I remember reading in here.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
So what's the deal here? Did we give him an official invitation? Will he be attending camp? This was always kind of speculative, from what I remember reading in here.

I think RB had a source about a week ago that the rangers were still interested even after the Hayes signing.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Octagon holds a summer camp for their clients and other players in Minnesota. Malone is an Octagon client. Mike Russo was at the camp and someone from Octagon told him about the Rangers having inquired about Malone. McDonagh and Stepan were at the camp. McDonagh is an Octagon client. Stepan isn't.

Russo wrote about the Wild and Malone today

Also, Fletcher told me as of now he’s not anticipating signing any more unrestricted free agents. It’s too early to say if he’ll invite any unsigned free agents in for tryouts. Few unsigned players would accept tryouts at this early juncture anyway (last year, the Wild invited David Steckel. He didn’t make the team, started in Iowa and eventually signed with Anaheim). Fletcher says he’s probably at least answered the phone call of agents for more than a dozen unsigned free agents. Some I know of include Ilya Bryzgalov, Ryan Malone, Paul Bissonnette and George Parros.

Fletcher’s leaning toward seeing what the Wild has in camp and then reacting if he needs to.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/273469291.html

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Geoff (Easton, PA)

Shocked that Scott Gomez is going back to NJ for a tryout? Is Ryan Malone going to get a look in NY for the Rangers as well? Either player have a shot for either team?

Katie Strang (2:30 PM)

As of last week, was told that it was "definitely a possibility" that Malone would attend Rangers camp on a tryout. Not sure if there are any legal issues or stipulations regarding the league's substance abuse program that may complicate matters. Re: Scott Gomez, no I'm not surprised. He doesn't have people beating down his doors, I'm sure. Any opportunity to show he can still play has to be a welcome one for him

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/51073/nhl-with-katie-strang

Ryan Malone: A six-time 20-goal scorer and former U.S. Olympian, Malone is hoping to catch on somewhere and revive a career that’s in tatters. He was bought out of his contract in Tampa Bay following an April arrest for DUI and cocaine possession; prior to the arrest, Malone was already being faded out of the picture in Tampa as injuries and a lack of foot speed often saw him banished to the press box as a healthy scratch. That said, there are reports that teams have expressed an interest — the Rangers were apparently speaking to Malone, while agent Mike Liut said a couple clubs were inquiring about his client’s services.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/02/five-ptos-that-could-be-coming-to-a-nhl-city-near-you/

Malone needs to complete a program to have the cocaine charge dropped. Will the NHL overlook the fact Malone was caught with cocaine? Khabibulin was not suspended for his DUI. Mark Bell was suspended for his DUI and leaving the scene of a hit and run.

Lack of foot speed will be an issue fitting into AV's system. Brian Boyle wasn't the fleetest of foot but he could win face-offs and kill penalties. The NHL Network replayed the Rangers-Penguins game 7 on Saturday night. Boyle took most if not all of the key draws in the 3rd period. He would change on the fly when the puck was out of the Rangers zone.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/51073/nhl-with-katie-strang

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/02/five-ptos-that-could-be-coming-to-a-nhl-city-near-you/

Malone needs to complete a program to have the cocaine charge dropped. Will the NHL overlook the fact Malone was caught with cocaine? Khabibulin was not suspended for his DUI. Mark Bell was suspended for his DUI and leaving the scene of a hit and run.

Lack of foot speed will be an issue fitting into AV's system. Brian Boyle wasn't the fleetest of foot but he could win face-offs and kill penalties. The NHL Network replayed the Rangers-Penguins game 7 on Saturday night. Boyle took most if not all of the key draws in the 3rd period. He would change on the fly when the puck was out of the Rangers zone.
Are there any updates on whether or not Malone has accepted a tryout with the Rangers?

AHB*

Agent: Malone Will Skate Informally With Rangers Tomorrow

Larry Brooks reports via agent Mike Liut that Ryan Malone will skate with the Rangers tomorrow.

I wasn't a fan, but at that price, I don't see how you can't be ok with this.

I don't like how he refers to him as a replacement for Pouliot or for Nash on the PP, because I feel that is just flat out wrong, but if we have him on the wing instead of Glass, it could really improve our depth.

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Stempniak-Brass-Zucc
Hags-Miller-MSL
Malone-Moore-Lombardi or Rookie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad