Rumor: Rangers One of Many to Extend a Tryout to Ryan Malone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
It worries me, but if he does get the tryout, I hope he's cleaned up his act, especially for his sake. That said, I really don't know if we have the cap space to bring Malone in. We'd have to move someone.

If he can regain his form from 2011-2012, we'd have extremely good depth.

Kreider - Step - Nash
Malone - Brass - Zuccs
Hagelin - Miller - MSL
Stempniak - Moore - Lombardi
Glass

:dunno:

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
spit, i hope not.
well during the last few years they brought some washed up guys into camp, but didnt sign them.
all this talk of giving the kids a shot but they bring in Glass, Lombardi, Stempniak
we have enough veteran depth, now we need a couple kids to grab full time spots, like last year happened with detroit and LA

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
10 years ago I would've hated the idea of this. (not Malone specifically, just any vet looking for a job)

As I've grown as a fan I've realized you can never have too many bodies at training camp. Whether they work out or not, it helps drive up the competition in camp and pushes the players. Occasionally you'll find an effective player this way - and one that comes cheap.

Stralman was all but gone in this league 4 years ago and when the Rangers signed him a lot of us were skeptical (and for good reason). You should never rule out a player who has experience in this league. Whats the worst that could happen? They cut him and its the end of the story.

As far as the youth is concerned I've always felt that diehard fans overvalue their prospects. If they are really that good they'll make the team and get the ice time. They would come just as cheap as a guy like Malone would so its not about the cap.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
a tryout is fine i guess, if he gets into preseason games and was never in the running, id be pissed.

i want the team to pair down MUCH quicker than last year.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
That said, I really don't know if we have the cap space to bring Malone in. We'd have to move someone.

Cap space won't be an issue. If we end up signing him, that means someone else will be in Hartford. It will basically be a wash capwise. The real issue would be the 50 contract limit, but assuming Duclair slides, we could fit him in.

I'd rather not have him over a rookie, but it's only a tryout. No sense in worrying about it until we see how it plays out.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
You are BLOWing the coke thing out of proportion. People can change, if he can play, he can still play.

The guy is like 35, injury prone, and a fraction of the player he once was. Again, why is he worth the potential headache?

If it was a 25-30 goal player or something Id get it, but this guy is done.

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010
I don't mind it even though he would be blocking a kid from coming up, and if anybody brings up cocaine as a reason not to pick him up then they are oblivious to the fact that many players snort coke and do other drugs as well. I am sure that a few guys on this team do something illegal, hockey players are a breed of people that enjoy partying hard when the opportunity arises.

I've played with a some guys who were drafted, some playing D1, some played in the O, others are playing overseas, and more than a few playing in lesser pro leagues here in the States. One thing that we all had in common was the mindset of party hard and enjoy yourself, I still talk to these guys and they still **** around with drugs often. If it doesn't have a negative effect on their lives then it is a moot point to argue somebody's personal choices.

As for Malone, I am more concerned that his game has completely **** the bed over the past few years. I live in Tampa, I have met the guy, I have watched his decline. If he comes in, rededicates himself to the game, and earns a spot then I would be more than happy to see that redheaded ***** in blue

Last edited by a moderator:

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
I don't mind it even though he would be blocking a kid from coming up, and if anybody brings up cocaine as a reason not to pick him up then they are oblivious to the fact that many players snort coke and do other drugs as well. I am sure that a few guys on this team do something illegal, hockey players are a breed of people that enjoy partying hard when the opportunity arises.

I've played with a some guys who were drafted, some playing D1, some played in the O, others are playing overseas, and more than a few playing in lesser pro leagues here in the States. One thing that we all had in common was the mindset of party hard and enjoy yourself, I still talk to these guys and they still **** around with drugs often. If it doesn't have a negative effect on their lives then it is a moot point to argue somebody's personal choices.

As for Malone, I am more concerned that his game has completely **** the bed over the past few years. I live in Tampa, I have met the guy, I have watched his decline. If he comes in, rededicates himself to the game, and earns a spot then I would be more than happy to see that redheaded ***** in blue

Doubt he even makes the team, even if he was invited. Sometimes players like that just add some extra competition for the youngsters.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Malone looks to be over the hill at this point in his career, but there's absolutely no harm in giving him an invite. The more the merrier when it comes to people competing for spots at camp. Worst case scenario is he comes in, looks awful, and you say thanks but no thanks. No harm. And who knows, maybe you catch lightning in a bottle and he looks like he did a couple years ago and you sign him for $900k.

Vidic15*

If one of our kids can't beat out a potentially washed up, cokehead, 35 year old; I don't want him on the team anyway.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Why, We have 50 contracts

John Moore hasn't yet signed. If/when he does, we're at 51. Graves will slide, putting us back at 50. There's some debate as to whether Duclair will slide. If he does, then we're at 49 and have room for another guy. Either way, if he somehow surprises and the team decides they want him, I'm sure they could find a way to dump someone to open up a spot.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
John Moore hasn't yet signed. If/when he does, we're at 51. Graves will slide, putting us back at 50. There's some debate as to whether Duclair will slide. If he does, then we're at 49 and have room for another guy. Either way, if he somehow surprises and the team decides they want him, I'm sure they could find a way to dump someone to open up a spot.

Actually, Duclair doesn't slide but his contract doesn't count against the 50 contracts since he's a 19 year old playing in juniors. RangerBoy posted about it in another thread.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's not going to hurt the team to give Malone a tryout. If he can earn a spot he's a big body. His numbers have not been too great the last two years and he's an older guy. If our on the cusp prospects can't beat him out then they're not close enough anyway.

The cocaine thing--it's not a particularly healthy thing to be ****ing with. How many people in society have messed about with it? Tons--including many of whom have never drawn even the least attention from the law. The moral issue here of what someone puts in his body is not that interesting to me. The only one he really harms by using it is himself. Throughout my life I've been pretty much a drinker--that's not always altogether healthy either--it's just more socially and legally acceptable and if he'd been caught with a couple marijuana joints no one would really give a ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad