Rumor: Rangers One of Many to Extend a Tryout to Ryan Malone

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Love the attitude he has. The guy would do anything to make a team. He even says so.

That's a VERY good find...

this type of "journeymen" reclamation project is the one you want to get... the ones that are desperate to prove something...

Not saying it is foolproof, but a solid attitude goes a long way

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Malone has always been a good team guy. He's always willing to go to bat for his teammates and we need more than just Tanner Glass to do that. He might only have half a season left in him, but that's a good buffer until perhaps another move comes up. Aside from McIlrath, we're lacking in the sandpaper department in the near-term. 4th line minutes and a occasional look in front of the net on the PP isn't asking too much. Especially if you consider the team might bolster certain areas of the roster as the season shakes out.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
His point is that the "worst" hockey player in the NHL probably makes more money than the best corsi analyst. :)

I respect that opinions are shared on these boards, but the disrespect for Glass is amazing. Can we give him 20 games or so before we boo him out of the Garden?
Breaking news: Hockey players make more money than a made up job.

If I were to say Kevin Hayes, who hasn't played in a single professional game, were a lock to score 15 goals this season, no one would bat an eye. Yet if I want to say Tanner Glass, with 414 NHL games in his history, is a bad NHL player, it's: "Tsk. Tsk. Hasn't even played for the Rangers yet."

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Breaking news: Hockey players make more money than a made up job.

If I were to say Kevin Hayes, who hasn't played in a single professional game, were a lock to score 15 goals this season, no one would bat an eye. Yet if I want to say Tanner Glass, with 414 NHL games in his history, is a bad NHL player, it's: "Tsk. Tsk. Hasn't even played for the Rangers yet."

I'm guessing many have not seen Glass play and are just trusting that Sather and AV, under whom he played (and was jettisoned) know what they're doing and people aren't fully buying into advanced stats, until, that is, it supports their thinking.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'm guessing many have not seen Glass play and are just trusting that Sather and AV, under whom he played (and was jettisoned) know what they're doing and people aren't fully buying into advanced stats, until, that is, it supports their thinking.
And why not trust Sather's wisdom regarding adding grit on a multi-year contract? After all, Donald Brashear, Derek Boogaard, Mike Rupp, Arron Asham and Stu Bickel combined to play 14 games beyond the first year of their multi-year deals!

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
And why not trust Sather's wisdom regarding adding grit on a multi-year contract? After all, Donald Brashear, Derek Boogaard, Mike Rupp, Arron Asham and Stu Bickel combined to play 14 games beyond the first year of their multi-year deals!

I don't trust Sather to light a cigar, personally; some people do based on recent history with the team overall. I have a long memory and had season tickets from 1998 through the lockout, so I'm a little bitter still.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

LOL, yes. If there's one area where Sather is absolutely NOT to be trusted, it's giving multiple years to "sandpaper" guys. He ****ing sucks.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I mean... I think he would have played some more if not for his untimely death.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
I mean... I think he would have played some more if not for his untimely death.

Doubt it, he was in rough shape. Gained a ton of weight and was having all post concussions symptoms. Probably would have been irresponsible of the rangers to allow him to play

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Doubt it, he was in rough shape. Gained a ton of weight and was having all post concussions symptoms. Probably would have been irresponsible of the rangers to allow him to play
Yeah, it's tough to imagine the Rangers acting irresponsibly with Boogaard.............

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
The Glass hate comes from raucous feedback from fans of his former teams, coupled with a couple of embarrassing in-game moments. Sprinkle in the contract he received and PRESTO:

Skepticism.

I have watched maybe 30 of his games and took nothing away from them.

The truth is this every team has a couple of players the fans just can't stand. When they leave, there is much rejoicing and ribbing the fans of the teams they moved to.

As we saw in the playoffs, everybody contributed during the run. Even Dorsett made a nice play on Boyles critical goal in Game 7.

If a guy is good teammate and works his butt off, I'm fine with it.

Just don't take dumb penalties.

My beef with Malone is that even if the chance of a relapse is 0.00001, I think that chance of the distraction outweighs the likely minimal production he would bring.

Start the season already.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I have not seen a ton of Glass. I vividly remember him missing the puck with an open net in the SCF. His reputation is awful. People have called him the worst player in the league.

I do not believe there is a player in the NHL who is actually worse than John Scott, so I wouldnt call him the worst player in the NHL.

Lets see how he does here before we bash the hell out of him. I really hope AV isnt too loyal to him and will cut/scratch him for someone better if it comes to it.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I have watched maybe 30 of his games and took nothing away from them.

This is about where I am at, I have seen Glass play a number of times, maybe not 30 but.... it was always like he was invisible, like he was a placeholder or something. Seems like you would want a 4th liner to be doing something, whether that is working the boards, effectively fore-checking or just providing energy in some fashion, and I just never got the impression that he really brought that.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Question on Glass (I hate to continue on, but I'm legitimately curious)--when we look at his possession numbers and all of the other advanced statistics that show us how badly he sucks, what kind of detriment to the team does that actually become for a guy getting minimal minutes? As opposed to an "average" guy taking his place. Like with baseball, I understand the components that go into computing WAR, and it's easy for me to understand what a guy with a WAR of 1.5 brings to the table vs. a guy with a -1.0 WAR. Is there something quantifiable like that with advanced hockey stats?

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Question on Glass (I hate to continue on, but I'm legitimately curious)--when we look at his possession numbers and all of the other advanced statistics that show us how badly he sucks, what kind of detriment to the team does that actually become for a guy getting minimal minutes? As opposed to an "average" guy taking his place. Like with baseball, I understand the components that go into computing WAR, and it's easy for me to understand what a guy with a WAR of 1.5 brings to the table vs. a guy with a -1.0 WAR. Is there something quantifiable like that with advanced hockey stats?

One way you can look at it is if he doesn't have the puck or is giving it away, he's prone to commit more penalties.

But that's not always true as Pouliot had excellent possession number but was one of least disciplined on the team.

I think the eye test is the best evaluator of his abilities with the puck. He just won't play enough, and even if he's a possession monster in his 9-11 mins a game, he won't be rewarded with more ice time due to the forward depth.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
For years we have been to small of a team. Now we are a team that has some size on te Roster and some size coming up the system. Adding guys like Malone and Glass makes us a bigger team and tougher to play against. Malone helps the power pay and can grind it out if he makes the team.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
If you asked me over the last couple years I probably would have balked at Malone being on the roster.

But for some reason, I want him to have a second chance, and it be on the Rangers.

Hope he does well.

TC82

Aug 27, 2012
15 goals wouldn't be out of reach if he gets some PP time in front of the net, for instance. Glad it's most likely for the minimum. During the dark years this would have been a 3 y / $12M contract.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Im actually excited about signing Malone. I think on the 4th line he can do some damage and its never a bad idea to carry experienced NHL forwards. Especially at the bargain contract he's going to have to sign to be here.

If he signs and is a useful player (I see no reason for him not to be in the role he'll be asked to play) the Rangers will have some serious depth. More than last season.

You're talking about 4th lines that feature players like Malone, Moore and Stepniak. They could definitely do some damage on the boards and all can put the puck in the net.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Im actually excited about signing Malone. I think on the 4th line he can do some damage and its never a bad idea to carry experienced NHL forwards. Especially at the bargain contract he's going to have to sign to be here.

If he signs and is a useful player (I see no reason for him not to be in the role he'll be asked to play) the Rangers will have some serious depth. More than last season.

You're talking about 4th lines that feature players like Malone, Moore and Stepniak. They could definitely do some damage on the boards and all can put the puck in the net.

I think Stepmniak is going to be on the 3rd line..

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Do you guys think they are going to waive Glass, Lombardi, Malone if they sign him?

Seems like in order to make a cap compliant roster without waiving them, while also carrying two prospects, is pretty difficult.

I think it's more likely they go into the season carrying the non waiver exempt players, they build up some cap space, see what the team does, then they decide who to bring up and who sits or gets waived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad