Rangers has the worst defence in the NHL

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
It's the Islanders by a mile. They play pond hockey. Looks like Ron Wilson coaches them. "Alright boys, lets aim for a 6-5 win tonight". Fun to watch as an outsider, a tire fire if you're a fan.
No, it's not by a mile. It's by a couple of inches. Having Vigneault with his idiotic man to man/ overload system in the defensive zone helps alot to close the distance. NYR systematically leaves opponents wide open in front of the net and in the slot, where they have all the time in the world to aim ther shot.

It doesn't help that NYR doesn't do anything in the neutral zone to stop the opposing speed either. We have D-men who are really good at defending the neutral zone, but Vigneault's clown system doesn't allow that. Sure, the system is even worse now when half the team is AHL calibre, but it wasn't much better with a full roster, because it plays to the weaknesses of the players.

With a more conservative zone system and the right coach, NYR wouldn't look nearly as bad.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Actually the Defensemen play has been better without McD, Shattenkirk and Staal.
The system is awful and we have 2 AHL lines playing like half of the games.

It's difficult to defend in this situation.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Lundqvist was having a near Vezina caliber season until the whole defense except Skjei and to a much lesser extent, Holden, got injured. Poor sexy guy

.924 just before the injuries started hitting less than a month ago
Did you forget the first month of the season? Those games count as well.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
It appears to be a tough situation for all involved. Stating the obvious I guess.

D-men take a while to develop so I'd have to say it is a positive to see them all get some valuable experience.

Don't watch the Rangers much but Skjei has to be a keeper. They look to have some good, young puck movers which bodes well to the future.

I am not sure how you can gauge their progress right now given the circumstances. As a Habs fan I'd much rather look at this group of kids rather than Benn, Alzner, Schlemko and some other misfits. At least there is hope for the Rangers. Interested in Weber?

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
shit on the rangers d all you want but they didnt deserve some of those goals against in that flyers game. henrik was awful. he had months like this last season as well. i thought he was having a top 5 goalie season until about 3 weeks ago. now he looks pretty middle to bottom of the pack again.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
**** on the rangers d all you want but they didnt deserve some of those goals against in that flyers game. henrik was awful. he had months like this last season as well. i thought he was having a top 5 goalie season until about 3 weeks ago. now he looks pretty middle to bottom of the pack again.

Funny you mention that. This is around when the announced the team is going to be selling this year and our Dmen started dropping like flies. We have 4 AHL defensemen and Nick Holden on the back end. Our defensive system is also an overly convoluted pile of garbage as you see our players constantly blow coverage.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Funny you mention that. This is around when the announced the team is going to be selling this year and our Dmen started dropping like flies. We have 4 AHL defensemen and Nick Holden on the back end. Our defensive system is also an overly convoluted pile of garbage as you see our players constantly blow coverage.

yeah i dont fault lundqvist for this season and their upper management incompetence. i also think he should really only play 55 games at his age. thats what happens when you trade raanta for nothing and sign a guy like pavelec.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I was so sad that Pavs was injured when the Rangers came to Winnipeg. I was hoping that they would do a video tribute for him and put the video about 3 feet out of position on the screen.

Reactions: Devils090

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Pavelec has been fine, I'd be happy to bring him back. I think he's just a guy who will always be the 25th-35th best goalie in the league and shouldn't be starting on a serious team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad