Rangers has the worst defence in the NHL

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
They let Andrew MacDonald, Brandon Manning, and Jori Lehtera score on them today. Doesnt get worse than that.

Feels like the end of an era for the Rangers today.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
i spent sunday at home so i tuned into our two biggest rivals' game for some wholesome entertainment fully anticipating/wanting a gong show and i was not disappointed.

both teams looked completely lost in behind the puck that first period and the flyers were the ones who settled down and controlled the game after.

henrik deserves so much better. shame that the rangers couldn't pull it together when it would help out the team from newark.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
It's extremely close given the Islanders are 1st in HDCA and Rangers are 4th.

Islanders have 632 HDCA and Rangers have 578 HDCA.
Islanders have a 47.13% C.F. and Rangers have a 46.28% C.F.

The Islanders have 1690 shots against. Rangers is 1630.

Both are horrendous defensively and in the bottom 3 of the NHL in terms of defense.

What's the difference in their record? Islanders actually have elite talent with Tavares and Barzal.

What data are you using?
Lol what data are you using considering your numbers are wrong. GTFOH.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I watched today's Ranger game and saw a struggling defense. Henrik was not playing well either. These goals for Philly looked way too easy. I still don't see how they are worse off then the NYI and Detroit. Montreal have also really struggled on defense this year.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Lundqvist was having a near Vezina caliber season until the whole defense except Skjei and to a much lesser extent, Holden, got injured. Poor sexy guy

.924 just before the injuries started hitting less than a month ago

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
We honestly would’ve been pretty good this year if we had a decent coach and not as many injuries, a for sure playoff team and I think we even could’ve won a round if
Buch played more
Shatty didn’t play the whole season with a torn meniscus
And we played a near decent defensive system
And if Holden didn’t play top pair
At least Pionk and Deangelo look good (offensively for Deangelo but he’s made decent plays defensively occasionally, he’ll learn)

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
It's the Islanders by a mile. They play pond hockey. Looks like Ron Wilson coaches them. "Alright boys, lets aim for a 6-5 win tonight". Fun to watch as an outsider, a tire fire if you're a fan.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
What happens to Shattenkirk now? He's 29, he signed with them in the offseason to fulfill a childhood dream. But the Rangers are embarking on a rebuild. Would they try to move him in the offseason?

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
What happens to Shattenkirk now? He's 29, he signed with them in the offseason to fulfill a childhood dream. But the Rangers are embarking on a rebuild. Would they try to move him in the offseason?

I think he'll give it another year, and then demand a trade to either NYI or NJD so he can play on a better team but still stay in the area.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

I think they keep him.

You're allowed to rebuild and have good players on the roster. In fact, I think it's better that way.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Yes your HDCA stats have really invigorated the conversation and silenced your critics.

Have you compared the Islanders DLT%- versus their DLT%+ during their road trip in November?

If you had, you wouldn't be saying these silly things in the first place.

LOL you literally responded to none of the proof with any substance. Agree to disagree.

You have no reason as to why the Rangers defense has sucked all season and chalked it up to injuries when that's not the case, nor the fact that the Islanders gave up less good chances over the different splits I provided [which are substantial splits].

No, I didn't check that. If you're trying to prove a point, you might want to be the one who provides the information. And by the way, a single road trip in a single month proves nothing. That's a small sample over an 82 game season, regardless of the information provided.

Bottom line, Rangers defense has sucked all season. It is statistically comparable to the Islanders [can't be refuted]. The Rangers have also been ranked 30th or 31st in Corsi the entire season [sometimes switching spots with the Wild], showing they're a team routinely pinned in their zone.

I'm not going to bother to respond to get another compelling argument.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Gee, really?

I wonder if the Rangers missing the top half of their six defensemen has had some kind of adverse affect on their defense?

Do you have "data" that might illustrate how losing your #1, #2 and #3 defender might make you worse defensively?

Also... do you have a clue?

Actually, it hasn't at all.

Which I think tells you all you need to know about AV's system.

Reactions: Fvital92

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Montreal is top ten in expected goals against. They're not in this discussion.

The fact of the matter is, the best goalie to ever exist needs to make a f***ing save once in awhile.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Montreal is top ten in expected goals against. They're not in this discussion.

The fact of the matter is, the best goalie to ever exist needs to make a ****ing save once in awhile.

Best goalie to ever exist has been retired for some time. And the next best goalie to exist retired a few years ago.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
1) Take a look at Arizona's defence
2) Consider for a moment Arizona's "team defence"
3) Compare numbers of Raanta & Lundqvist

--> Nothing further to discuss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad