Rangers has the worst defence in the NHL

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Rangers made a choice to try to be an offensive team and it's worked fairly well for them but some of it has been smoke and mirrors and it's caught up to them this year. It's hard to be Pittsburgh without Crosby & Malkin.
Yep. They were never a true contender but usually overperformed due to their system and Lundqvist the last 5 years or so. Their fortune ran out eventually.

marciiauzii

Nov 15, 2012
Latvia
Holden should be a scratch. Gilmour and Sproul shouldnt touch NHL ice ever again. Deangelo has offensive instincts but he's awful on the back end.

Skjei - Pionk pairing is somewhat decent. For a bottom pair not the first one.

It's gonna be a long road.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
The Islanders and it's not even close.
It's extremely close given the Islanders are 1st in HDCA and Rangers are 4th.

Islanders have 632 HDCA and Rangers have 578 HDCA.

Islanders have a 47.13% C.F. and Rangers have a 46.28% C.F.

The Islanders have 1690 shots against. Rangers is 1630.

Both are horrendous defensively and in the bottom 3 of the NHL in terms of defense.

What's the difference in their record? Islanders actually have elite talent with Tavares and Barzal.

What data are you using?

Last edited:

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
And I love the hate Henrik receives. .914 on bottom 3 team in NHL.

Holtby is a .911 on a poor defensive team.

Price is a .904 and could finish with his 3rd season in his career with a .905 or below and is still considered universally as the best goaltender in the world [which is crazy].

Lundqvist at his worse has never had a season as bad as three of Price's seasons. He is not nearly as poor as some other elite goaltenders at their worst.

Reactions: WPGNYRFan

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Hank's been fine. Not having the top 3, as well as a rather miserable system, is what's sinking the Rangers at this point.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Watching the Rangers this season, I feel sorry for their goalies. The defencemen and team defence are the worst, BY FAR, in the NHL.

No other team is as clueless defensively.

Discuss.

The New York Islanders are, by far, the worst defensive team in the league. I am baffled by the way they are coached. They are extremely disorganized in their own zone and their breakout doesn't seem to be part of a system. I have seen in the course of one game so many different versions of a breakout, it seems like they are untouched and just do whatever they want out there.

I don't think they have the worst personnel on their blueline, but as a team, nobody is even close to as bad as they are defensively.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
The New York Islanders are, by far, the worst defensive team in the league. I am baffled by the way they are coached. They are extremely disorganized in their own zone and their breakout doesn't seem to be part of a system. I have seen in the course of one game so many different versions of a breakout, it seems like they are untouched and just do whatever they want out there.

I don't think they have the worst personnel on their blueline, but as a team, nobody is even close to as bad as they are defensively.

They're not, by far, the worst. Check the data I provided. The Islanders, Rangers, Capitals and Coyotes all suck defensively.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
They're not, by far, the worst. Check the data I provided. The Islanders, Rangers, Capitals and Coyotes all suck defensively.

Gee, really?

I wonder if the Rangers missing the top half of their six defensemen has had some kind of adverse affect on their defense?

Do you have "data" that might illustrate how losing your #1, #2 and #3 defender might make you worse defensively?

Also... do you have a clue?

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
Man I know the teams trash right now but I like post about other people arguing that their favorite team is worse... Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing were not the only team that sucks.
Unfortunately their aren't 31 Dahlins available in this draft.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Again. Don't simply count shots, focus on opposing players being allowed to screen shots, which areas taken from, inability to clear rebounds, man-to-man coverage, getting in passing lanes, being able to effectively steal pucks etc.

Rangers have been a trainwreck in this department for several years, but this season is just worse than ever.

And dare I say, as bad as the d-men have been, it's more a defective strategy from the coaches, than lack of skill from the players.

I mean, look what Vega's mediocre defensive lineup is capable of.

Reactions: B17 Apricots

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Gee, really?

I wonder if the Rangers missing the top half of their six defensemen has had some kind of adverse affect on their defense?

Do you have "data" that might illustrate how losing your #1, #2 and #3 defender might make you worse defensively?

Also... do you have a clue?

I provide statistics... you provide... not much.

Yes, I have a clue. Did you watch the Rangers for the first 58 games? Did you see them with McDonagh and Shattenkirk? Guess what? Their defense wasn't any better. The Rangers have been top-5 in High Danger Chances Against for the vast majority of the season. How do you explain that when their top-3 defense was in the line up?

October through January, when McDonagh got plenty of ice time, the Rangers conceded 390 HDCA which was good for 3rd most in the NHL. In fact, during that time period, they gave up more HDCA than the Islanders.

October to December, when Shattenkirk played the majority of his games, Rangers conceded 251 HDCA, once again, good for 3rd in NHL and in front of the Islanders.

Explain that beyond "Gee Really" because you sound a bit on the foolish side now.

If you are a Ranger fan and saw the team October through January, you would know the only reason they even have a .500 record is because Lundqvist played otherworldly in Nov, Dec and Jan for them. Their defense has sucked all season. When Lundqvist cooled off, and has now slumped, their GA go way up... Hmm...

Let me guess... I don't have a clue. Good response.

Last edited:

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
they've been bad for sure. but we wouldn't even know what this roster looks like healthy. Zbad went down then Kreids then Shatty Butch Staal Mac Hayes is barely healthy enough to play so yeah most of us are calling the season a wash, also the GM said he was changing the build of this roster anyways doesn't bother me none.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Man for man the Habs are worse, NYI's shots against totals might be historic - but they have all-world offensive talent, we just have a goalie, and they're not a great team either.

Vigneault's like that restaurant that's serving up "artisanal," "avant-garde" stuff. The Rangers last year had more odd man rushes and breakouts than I've ever seen anyone have, and that helped mask the problems in the team. Who knows - maybe half the league looks like that in five years. But we're not creating those chances anymore, we're still not protecting the slot (I like that guy's idea of watching old Rangers games and only looking at Brendan Smith), and oh man it's bad. Not the rookies' fault either

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Watching the Rangers this season, I feel sorry for their goalies. The defencemen and team defence are the worst, BY FAR, in the NHL.

No other team is as clueless defensively.

Discuss.
They are currently icing a bunch of kids and a couple of stiffs. Shatty, Staal and McDonagh have been out. Far from the worst D in the league.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I provide statistics... you provide... not much.

Yes your HDCA stats have really invigorated the conversation and silenced your critics.

Have you compared the Islanders DLT%- versus their DLT%+ during their road trip in November?

If you had, you wouldn't be saying these silly things in the first place.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Well, Rangers D was always overrated because Henrik was so good and consistent.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Shattenkirk I believe was playing hurt all year. That didn't help matters. Plus Brendan Smith. Once solide defenseman just completely took a nosedive this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad