Rangers has the worst defence in the NHL

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Watching the Rangers this season, I feel sorry for their goalies. The defencemen and team defence are the worst, BY FAR, in the NHL.

No other team is as clueless defensively.

Discuss.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
As much as I want to defend the Rangers but their defense was really bad even before the injuries. It's worse now but I'm glad at least the young guys are getting a chance.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Rangers made a choice to try to be an offensive team and it's worked fairly well for them but some of it has been smoke and mirrors and it's caught up to them this year. It's hard to be Pittsburgh without Crosby & Malkin.

Maliks PlusMinus

May 28, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
I haven't seen enough of the other teams to be sure, but I'd be surprised if they weren't. The system is moronic.
It relies upon several things: The best goalie in the league, dmen as talented as McDonagh or Stralman and slower, smart defensive dmen who ignore AV's rules sometimes, such as Staal or Girardi.
Over time we have lost all of that. The system (if we can call it that) is now played by everyone at all times including guys like Staal. This results in absurdities. Bad dmen look 100 times worse (if you want a good laugh try to locate Smith or Holden and examine their shift). Decent veteran dmen, already mentioned, look like a joke as they conform to the garbage that they are far too slow to have any hope of carrying out adequately. Offensive dmen discover themselves to be immersed in nonsense and swiftly embrace it (Shattenkirk). Even the all rounders like McDonagh and Skjei can't carry it out properly. The main reason is that the whole system is reactive. We're behind the play at all times. That goes for the forwards too. Everyone is sick of trying to work miracles for our head coach.
Loyal as ever, Henrik tried to somehow make it work. He's an old man and we are now embarrassing ourselves. The perfect opportunity to destroy some youngsters is here and so lots of them are suffering beatings. Pionk might well be a decent NHL'er, so imo the sooner the goof behind the bench goes and this system changes the better.
HM to Ruff for his help this season. That was sarcasm.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
I enjoy watching the Rangers sink. Such a hateable franchise. Keep living in '94.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Isles have the most goals against (gap between Isles and Arizona in 2nd is same as Arizona and Montreal in 7th) and shots against (gap between Isles and Toronto in 2nd is same as Toronto and Chicago in 9th)

They also have allowed 50+ shots 4 times in 2018. The rest of the NHL has combined for 2 such games

Reactions: Emerz

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
The guy is 36 years old playing on a team that allows 40 shots a goal on a regular basis, many of which are point blank. In the middle of the season he was playing as well as anyone, but playing every game under a ton of duress as a 36 year old. It's WAY more the defense.
This seems like hyperbole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad