Confirmed with Link: Rangers Games at Yankee Stadium (1/26 at Devils; 1/29 at Islanders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giglio NYR15

Section 417
Jun 1, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Yea ive been saying this for a while. I think the best bet is the winter classic in yankee stadium in 2014. The nhl would be stupid to do another outdoor game as the classic would lose some of its luster. Also, they cant do it at met life because of the football games, wouldnt be enough prep time, and they had the chance to do citi, its Yankee stadium or bust as it should be.

As for the all star game, my thoughts are that it wont happen because Dolan wouldnt let it happen. They are going to want to bring the ASG back to MSG once it is completed and that wont happen if they put it in nyc now.

As for different classics, imagine Stars vs a west conf team in Jerry Jones cowboys stadium. Wild Idea, not saying it should happen but its just funny to think about lol, NO SHOT. Maybe the Wild vs another team at target field?

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
As for different classics, imagine Stars vs a west conf team in Jerry Jones cowboys stadium. Wild Idea, not saying it should happen but its just funny to think about lol, NO SHOT. Maybe the Wild vs another team at target field?

thought about this the other day actually. after jerry sees how much can be made from it, he is going to want it and he will get it. but the stars no matter who they play would be a hard sell for them to hit 100,000 people. hell if i went to that game i think i would watch from that tv.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
May not be enough prep time. Also, you think they'd fill that building? I'm sure the last thing the NHL wants is empty seats for one of their showcases.

Yes, they would fill that building without a problem.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
With DET Winter Classic announced, biggest question is how many outdoor games there will be next year. LA seems a slam dunk...

And there are rumours of potential games in NYC and a Heritage Classic in Canada.

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC

The NHL announced the Winter Classic will be played in January. The game which was cancelled because of the 113 day lockout. The NHL will play more than one outdoor game next season.

The NHL had the press conference this morning in Detroit.

NHL could have multiple outdoor games as soon as next season. COO John Collins said league is now looking at it hard.

https://twitter.com/cotsonika/status/320925672677703681

The Pinestripe Bowl is not going away anytime soon. ESPN has the TV rights until the 2015 season which is really 12/30/15.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
One a year is perfect. More than one a year and it's not the same spectacle that it should be.

There is something magical about building up two teams for one game, with the HBO show, and the game that is to be played. Knowing it's the one game of the year like that really makes it worth more than the two points in the standings those teams are fighting for.

Opening up more outdoor games will surely dilute the spectacle.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I agree with one outdoor game a year but a WC at Yankee Stadium would be awesome. I'd be interested to see who we'd play if we get another one

NYRCSKA*

Here's the question:
Do the teams need NHL approval to play in an outdoor venue? For example, if the Rangers and Islanders decided they wanted to play a scheduled Saturday afternoon game at Yankee stadium in February, and Yankee stadium management OK'd it does the NHL have grounds to block that?

I hope the Islanders become semi-relevant again. I miss that rivalry. I'm expecting some great physical hockey between the two teams when they move to Brooklyn.

Last edited by a moderator:

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
If they could squeeze one in in late January/early February after the Pinstripe Bowl, there is no reason why they couldn't have one there. They can get the field ready in time for the Yankees home opener in early April. It wouldn't take 2 months to convert the field back to baseball.

When/if they have one, NBC would not want a Ranger/Islander/Devil game as that would only attract one market; they would have the Rangers play Boston/Philadelphia/Washington/Pittsburgh. Detroit will be back in the East by then, so throw them into the mix as well.

NYRCSKA*

If they could squeeze one in in late January/early February after the Pinstripe Bowl, there is no reason why they couldn't have one there. They can get the field ready in time for the Yankees home opener in early April. It wouldn't take 2 months to convert the field back to baseball.

When/if they have one, NBC would not want a Ranger/Islander/Devil game as that would only attract one market; they would have the Rangers play Boston/Philadelphia/Washington/Pittsburgh. Detroit will be back in the East by then, so throw them into the mix as well.

The grounds crew could probably have it converted back to baseball in a few days.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Hate that they're diluting the spectacle of an outdoor game, but I would have to be in attendance at a Ranger game at Yankee Stadium. Just can't pass that up.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
May not be enough prep time. Also, you think they'd fill that building? I'm sure the last thing the NHL wants is empty seats for one of their showcases.

Buffalo did it. Pittsburgh did it. We wouldn't be able to do it?

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
It would absolutely be Boston.

-Rangers/Flyers already happened
-NHL wouldn't saturate one market by picking the Fishies or Debbies
-Washington? Ehhhhh... maybe, but they've already been away and are due for a home game
-Pittsburgh has already had two

Boston has had one WC, at home. They're due for their away game, the Rangers are due for the their home game. As a Mets fan, I'd love for Citi Field to get a chance to host it, but even I must say NY/Boston at Yankee Stadium is too perfect to pass up.

Only other team I could see making the trip over to NY for a Classic is actually the Kings... gets some LA vs. NY intensity, but very unlikely.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Hate that they're diluting the spectacle of an outdoor game, but I would have to be in attendance at a Ranger game at Yankee Stadium. Just can't pass that up.

I paid $425 for crappy seats in Philly. I can honestly say I'd throw $1000 down to go to the Rangers' home ice Winter Classic... ESPECIALLY if it was Rangers/Bruins in Yankee Stadium. That's just incredi-awesome.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Sent: Apr 8, 2013 11:40a

Buzz: The Rangers Outdoor Game Could Be On January 26, 2014 http://t.co/OKnl2VBHmS

sent via twitterfeed
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/AdamRotter/status/321286323136761858

Additional tweets from the left coast indicating one possible outdoor game in NY and another in LA on the same weekend...makes some sense as this is the weekend between the NFL conference championships and the Super Bowl. Great opportunity to own TV

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad