Confirmed with Link: Rangers Games at Yankee Stadium (1/26 at Devils; 1/29 at Islanders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers could play an outdoor game at Yankee Stadium in late January/early February. More $ for NHL with two outdoor games

Sent: Dec 28, 2011 8:20a

Cryptic comment on WFAN from Lonn Trost re hockey at Yankee Stadium: Said team talking to NHL re hockey, but not necessarily Winter Classic.

sent via web
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/sportswatch/status/152015986525089792

The Beezer

Jan 24, 2010
Jersey
The Rangers could play an outdoor game at Yankee Stadium in late January/early February. More $ for NHL with two outdoor games

Cryptic comment on WFAN from Lonn Trost re hockey at Yankee Stadium: Said team talking to NHL re hockey, but not necessarily Winter Classic.

sent via web

Personally, I feel one is enough (regardless who's playing). Besides Febuary, doesn't sound too inviting.
This sounds more like sour grapes from the Yankees on missing the whole winter classic boat by having that silly bowl game occupying Yankee Stadium.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
Personally, I feel one is enough (regardless who's playing). Besides Febuary, doesn't sound too inviting.
This sounds more like sour grapes from the Yankees on missing the whole winter classic boat by having that silly bowl game occupying Yankee Stadium.

Yeah I agree.

The Yankees are normally good business people but they swung and miss on this one.

I think they got caught up with YS having a history of hosting college football.
They failed to realize that in 2011, NY isn't a college town. Therefore these bowl games don't sell out.

They would have made more money hosting a WC.

TonyTheGr8

Window shut..for now
Aug 8, 2007
Morris County, NJ
As much as I would like this, especially if it were Rangers-Devils (perfect for me and the wife), I honestly think they need to keep it exclusively to 1 outdoor game a year..they start messing around with it, and it will lose its novelty. The Heritage Classic proved that last year.

I think the only way to play 2 games is to have them the same day, Winter Classic in the US, Heritage Classic in Canada.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
Sounds like they're talking All Star game at YS.

AdamRotter profile

AdamRotter Note: Maybe The All-Star Game At Yankee Stadium? (Update) snyrangersblog.com/2011/12/28/not… 38 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

TonyTheGr8

Window shut..for now
Aug 8, 2007
Morris County, NJ
Sounds like they're talking All Star game at YS.

AdamRotter profile

AdamRotter Note: Maybe The All-Star Game At Yankee Stadium? (Update) snyrangersblog.com/2011/12/28/not… 38 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

Not really a fan of that either. Although it would get people into an "outdoor" game, that normally wouldn't get a chance (LA, San Jose, Tampa, Florida).

ruckus*

Would love it just because I'd like to experience this type of event and be able to afford it. Then again, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to anyways. I mean, look at what the Yankees are charging for tickets to go see two mediocre college football teams in a city that doesn't give a damn about college football.

Stugots

YNWA
Jan 10, 2009
Upper West Side
Yeah I agree.

The Yankees are normally good business people but they swung and miss on this one.

I think they got caught up with YS having a history of hosting college football.
They failed to realize that in 2011, NY isn't a college town. Therefore these bowl games don't sell out.

They would have made more money hosting a WC.

The pinstripe bowl game is a 4 or 5 year deal. If the Yankees decided not to host the PS bowl with the goal of hosting the winter classic instead, they would be passing up on 4-5 years of guaranteed revenue for just the possibility of attaining one year of revenue. Remember that It's not a guarantee that they would host the classic, so what would happen if they decided not to have the PS bowl and didn't get the Winter Classic? That would be a bad business decision. We know that the Yankees are all about money, so what do you think they would do?

TonyTheGr8

Window shut..for now
Aug 8, 2007
Morris County, NJ
Would love it just because I'd like to experience this type of event and be able to afford it. Then again, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to anyways. I mean, look at what the Yankees are charging for tickets to go see two mediocre college football teams in a city that doesn't give a damn about college football.
Heck, I can barely afford regular season Rangers tickets at the Garden anymore..I can only imagine what they'd charge for the Hudson River Rivalry going outside! :shakehead :help:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
NYY didnt realize how prominent the Rangers and Flyers would be on HBO's 24/7, and now are like "wtf, how come Philly is hosting this?"

Idiots.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
The pinstripe bowl game is a 4 or 5 year deal. If the Yankees decided not to host the PS bowl with the goal of hosting the winter classic instead, they would be passing up on 4-5 years of guaranteed revenue for just the possibility of attaining one year of revenue. Remember that It's not a guarantee that they would host the classic, so what would happen if they decided not to have the PS bowl and didn't get the Winter Classic? That would be a bad business decision. We know that the Yankees are all about money, so what do you think they would do?

I think they underestimated the Winter Classic gate ($8-9MM) vs. a college football game. Not to mention publicity. the Yankees aren't dumb. I could easily see the Pinstripe Bowl being farmed out to Met Life for a season.

TonyTheGr8

Window shut..for now
Aug 8, 2007
Morris County, NJ
I think they underestimated the Winter Classic gate ($8-9MM) vs. a college football game. Not to mention publicity. the Yankees aren't dumb. I could easily see the Pinstripe Bowl being farmed out to Met Life for a season.

Not likely. Cause the Rangers are not going to get a Winter Classic 2 years in a row. 2013 is the final year of obligation for Yankees Stadium. So I expect a Rangers home game in 2014.

NHRangerfan

sent via web

Wonder if this has anything to do with the Red Sox doing Frozen Fenway this winter.

Schedule includes 2 double headers, first one 1/7 first game UVM vs UMASS with the twi-night game featuring UNH vs Torts alma mater U of Maine. 2nd double header HS rivals Boston College HS vs Catholic Memorial and the 2nd game BC vs Northeastern.

They will also have open skating time.

RangerFan10

I think the NHL will keep it at one game. They're likely afraid it might lose some of its allure if there's more than 1 game a year — and odds are, they're going to keep the same 8-10 teams playing in it nearly every year, save a decent market getting a surge in popularity from success...

The big markets that support teams that the NHL will look to keep playing in these games: NYR, Capitals, Penguins, Blackhawks, Red Wings, Bruins, Sabres, Flyers and MAYBE the Wild and the Kings. I highly doubt we see a canadian team in the winter classic anytime soon, either. At least not as a home team.

Abooch68

Aug 31, 2008
Yea. I'm not sure the Devils or Islanders will ever be in a Winter Classic game, or even a non Winter Claddic outdoor game..

gluvhand

Jul 30, 2009
Rockland County
I think it is entirely possible that we may host our WC at Yankee Stadium when the time comes.

However, I would not be shocked if we played the devils, though Giants/Jets stadium is probably out because of football?

May not be enough prep time. Also, you think they'd fill that building? I'm sure the last thing the NHL wants is empty seats for one of their showcases.

The Beezer

Jan 24, 2010
Jersey
May not be enough prep time. Also, you think they'd fill that building? I'm sure the last thing the NHL wants is empty seats for one of their showcases.

I think there are a lot of factors why it can't be at the Meadowlands with the number 1 reason being that the Giants and Jets wouldn't go for it. It would force them both to be on the road for the last 2 weeks of the season. Not to mention the prep time (depending on how long it takes to disassemble) for a possible 1st round home playoff game the week after.

I don't think empty seats would be a problem as long as they are priced smartly. I personally think that the football stadiums are suited better to hold the event versus the baseball stadiums (hence the main reason I'm not going to Philly). You would think something along 3rd base line (a great seat for a baseball game) would be a good seat, but by the looks of things you are far from the ice behind the net. I like the concept but I just rather spend the money on really good seats in the Garden (or WFC center for that matter).

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
I don't think empty seats would be a problem as long as they are priced smartly. I personally think that the football stadiums are suited better to hold the event versus the baseball stadiums (hence the main reason I'm not going to Philly). You would think something along 3rd base line (a great seat for a baseball game) would be a good seat, but by the looks of things you are far from the ice behind the net. I like the concept but I just rather spend the money on really good seats in the Garden (or WFC center for that matter).

exactly my reason for not going this year. ill have a better view from my tv with hundreds saved. ill just wait till we get the home game in a few years. plus id rather drop 150 for a balcony suite at WFC for the april game there. the way it looks so far that game could be for the division.

XLJ

Jan 4, 2010
Having the allstar game at yankee stadium could potentially be a big money event for the nhl.

But I would prefer they wait for 2014 and just do a winter classic at Yankee Stadium with the Rangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad