GDT: Rangers @ Capitals 12-27-13 7pm - 2 Points Lloyd

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
40 shots against. Can't keep this up forever...can they?

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Really? Holtby has stolen quite a few games, albeit none this season.

That's true maybe I just don't feel like the team was being out played like they are now. And maybe the zone time is making look worse then it is.

Yeaaa Mike Green..... :sarcasm:

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Fehr is really playing some good hockey. And two more points for Backstrom. Overall it was not a very good showing but take the two points and hope things improve.

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
Another Houdini like escape.. This getting outplayed 2 of every 3 periods is getting hard to watch.. Really wish Oates had the ability to adjust something and get these guys back to playing decent hockey on at least 1 end of the ice.. (5v5 that is)

Not sure there's any hope for the D, other than riding whoever the hot goalie is.. But 2 is 2, so who gives a ****..

Thanks Groobs!! (at the very least I think we can dub him as a competent NHL backup.. Our brilliant architect should be on the horn looking for a "real" blueliner in exchange for Neuvi)

Halpysback*

They really need to stop snatching victory from the jaws of defeat for the long term health of the organization.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
yea...it would be better if they would just lose. right? I mean for the long term health. winning cleaner would be better for the short term but wouldn't get anyone fired in the front office and coaching staff which is where the long term lies.

good on fehr and grubs for providing something to bring a positive comment or two.
for me, the two assists by backstrom on goals by other than ovechkin continues to impress.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Top line were the only 3 players above 50.

When the 5v5 possession stats go 61/39 against that is fairly impressive IMO.

I have to say the Oleksy/Erskine pairing was visually simply awful last night and the possession stats seem to back that up, though again the second part was true for the vast majority of the team.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Don't know how they came away with a win in this one. Perhaps it was a combo of Grubauer and Rangers ineptitude.

If this team is sniffing at the playoffs near the TDL, just hope we don't have George experience another groundhog day moment and attempt to obtain that player that will push the team beyond a first round ass kicking, i.e., Joe Corvo, Jason Arnott, Martin Erat etc.. Would prefer the Caps try to unload rather than add. Some of the personnel to consider are Michal "not today coach I have menstrual cramps" Neuvirth, John "the game has passed me by about a year ago" Erskine, Martin "I continue to be misused" Erat, Marcus "the butter boy" Johansson; and finally a right winger in order to give Tom Wilson some more ice time. The right winger to be moved comes down to Troy Brouwer or Joel Ward, and I just think Brouwer might fetch more. So Caps trade bait would be something of the following:
-Neuvirth (with the emergence of Grubauer, no longer needed)
-Erskine (too slow)
-Erat (just not working out, plus shedding 4.5 of salary)
-MAJO (keep waiting for him to take that next step and get a little more physical, he definitely has the speed and skill set, but he's too much like Flash)
-Brouwer (depth position with the likes of Ovie, Fehr, Ward and Wilson plus Kuznetsov-although I'm still not sure what his position is)

On a positive note Grubauer and Orlov's play has provided me with some optimism for this team's future.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
George needs to throw money at Girardi.

If he was a left shot that would definitely make sense but he isn't and as long as Oates is the coach I can't see McPhee shelling out the cash it would take to sign Girardi because if would mean one of Green, Carlson, or Girardi would be playing 3rd pairing minutes as a result.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
For those who went to the game, I had a couple questions. If you have a chance, would you be able to answer? Thanks.

1) Where there a lot of Rangers fans there?

-How many, what percent would you say?

2) Was this the normal amount the Rangers have for:

-If not, what is? Was this more or less than normal?

3) How did it compare to the 3/10 and 10/16 game when there were many Rangers fans?

4) How did the Ranger turnout in DC compare to the Caps turnout at MSG?

5) How did the Ranger turnout in DC compare to when the Caps played:

-Boston

-Pittsburgh

-Philly

-NJ

7) On TV, I was surprised at how few Ranger fans there seemed to be.

It appeared there were very few, much less than at the 3/10 game and even the October mid week game.

Was this the case?

If so, why?

One would think a Friday during the holidays would bring out a lot of NY fans, is it possible there lousy play made this big an impact?

Thanks.

Kegger

Apr 23, 2002
Texas
Green had a better showing, guess it couldnt get worse. Just glancing at some advanced stats, and have to admit was a bit surprised. Greenie has look at times horrible skating this year...but somehow he is in the top 5 on this time in 5v5 close. Maybe eyes deceiving?

Fehr, Schmidt, Green, Ovi, Grabo

Other noteworthy items:
-Ovechkin when on the ice is outscored 3:1 in 5v5 close
-Laich/Brouwer "pair" is outshot 5:2 in 5v5 close

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad