GDT: Rangers at Flyers. It has come down to this.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
We no longer control our destiny after today.

Although that head to head with Columbus changes things. That is a must win in regulation.

That will decide our playoff lives

Last edited:

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
Does any of this even matter when we lose to scrub teams like Ottawa and Edm at home???

Reactions: Kid Icarus

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Worst part is..

Barkov, Troch, and Huby are set to obliterate their career highs.

...and we STILL can't make the playoffs. That looks extremely pathetic.

Reactions: Vilam

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Worst part is..

Barkov, Troch, and Huby are set to obliterate their career highs.

...and we STILL can't make the playoffs. That looks extremely pathetic.

It just shows how badly they killed the depth.

The good thing for you should be that this is the last year for some time that that's a problem, just as long Tallon doesn't do any more longterm damage before next season.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
More so I think it just shows more how much the team was struggling early on in the season. From a team that was in the bottom tier department in GAA the first couple of dozen of games and that had horrible special teams going towards league averages in GAA and getting pretty good special teams. But if the team does not make it, the improvements just kicked in too late.

I think that's a case to not play a blame game at all as coaching has done a great job in getting that development and the leagues youngest (?) defense has stepped out as well (offensively already one of the best d groups.). Acknowledge however that some of the fans here need something to put their negative emotions towards so we can expect something, perhaps depth is a good even though that has been good lately as well and maybe for the first half it is the truth as well and goes hand to hand with the first part I wrote, can't recall stats from there now.

But I would argue that goes to the depth.

They got rid of proven players like Smith, Marchessault& Demers and bet on Vrbata, Dadonov, Haapala, Repo& Mamim to replace them, + the kids 3rd pair.
Dadonov has been a clear upgrade on Jarg but the others have been huge lossess, Mamim started in the AHL and is now slowly becoming a solid bottom6 option. But again that leads to you shouldn't bet on unproven players perfectly transitioning their game to NHL.

Draft well(D-prospect) add Tippett& Borgstrom, bring back more experienced Malgin/Mamim/McCann/Vatrano and the team should look different by next season. Just don't mess up the offseason again.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
so we lose in regulation to a bottom team while nj, clb, and philly even all win. im slowly but surely sliding back into draft mode.

Reactions: Vilam

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
It just shows how badly they killed the depth.

The good thing for you should be that this is the last year for some time that that's a problem, just as long Tallon doesn't do any more longterm damage before next season.
well he needs to do some "damage" because this is not a playoff roster. not even close. we had to have a near perfect year with injuries to even get 9th place in the east. next year when one of the big 3 inevitably go down with injury its gonna be scary ugly. 2 more legit fwds and a real d man are needed or its just another wasted year for the core. I would say I can't believe how bad today went for the panthers...but I really can.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
The last 4 games expecially have shown we've returned to our regular programming. We were lucky to beat Rangers. Ottawa and Edmonton for crying out loud out husttled us and Reimer stole Boston win a game were shouldnt been in

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
MTL - WIN
OTT - OTL
CLB - LOSS
ARZ - OTL
NYI - WIN
TOR - LOSS
OTT - WIN
BOS - WIN
CAR - WIN
NSH - LOSS
BOS - OTL
BUF - LOSS
BOS - OTL

14 points for 91 points

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Perhaps to a degree like I said, I don't think it's a problem anymore however. I'm just inserting the argument that the team went with new coach and a more modern hockey style. The team was due to facing some adjusting time early on. It just took longer than expected to get to the better of it. But Boughner had also stated around mid season that he was astonished how much basic ground work he has had to do with the young players so part of it is in the coaching of the past as well.

Future indeed looks good they don't have to go through a youth cut or drive in a new ideology to the core anymore so they're in business from the get go for future seasons to come.

It's getting better for sure, as it should. But it was a massive problem on the 1st half and huge reason why they've been chasing that Wild Card spot for weeks.
Tallon bet on unproven players this year and right now it's not looking good for this years playoffs. There's still a chance but the team can't afford a single cold streak in remaining games.

well he needs to do some "damage" because this is not a playoff roster. not even close. we had to have a near perfect year with injuries to even get 9th place in the east. next year when one of the big 3 inevitably go down with injury its gonna be scary ugly. 2 more legit fwds and a real d man are needed or its just another wasted year for the core. I would say I can't believe how bad today went for the panthers...but I really can.

Of course he needs to add someone, like go after Kovy. But not waste high end futures for players like Pac and hurt the longterm potential.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
It's getting better for sure, as it should. But it was a massive problem on the 1st half and huge reason why they've been chasing that Wild Card spot for weeks.
Tallon bet on unproven players this year and right now it's not looking good for this years playoffs. There's still a chance but the team can't afford a single cold streak in remaining games.

Of course he needs to add someone, like go after Kovy. But not waste high end futures for players like Pac and hurt the longterm potential.
I wouldn't put Kovalchuk on this team. While I wouldn't mind him in NY where he wouldn't be the top top dog and it's always a marquee name revolving door anyway, he would stand out from the pack here and when a Mamin and his non superstar scoring means more towards wins and losses than a guy who scores 1 or 2 but responsible for letting 1 or 2, I think we don't need that.

Yesterday was a ref game, vs EDM. Dean Morton n some dude that has stayed off my radar. Morton's got us plenty of times over the years tho.

SimbaThePanther

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden
I don't know what to feel, it is a little over the top around these parts but at the same time I can sort of understand the frustrations right now. But keep in mind, most of us thought they would loose a number of games until the end of the season. They have sort of done the opposite of what most of us thought, they've beaten teams they were exected to loose and lost to teams expected to beat. The end result probably has the team right on course still. We didn't want loosing streaks, and so far they haven't had any of those. Odds were always against the team, and if they were to make it in it would be a massive comeback. But trying to keep up with Columbus is gonna be tough if they just keep on winning. Best we can hope for is they go on at least a short loosing streak sooner rather then later...it's always harder to chase then being chased. One minor slip and you loose ground and that can have a negative effect.

Florida was always gonna need help from others to make it in, nothing has changed. Expecting these guys to go on long winning streaks after they just were on one, is too much to ask for. NJ had their slip and got involved in the race, now they have picked up steam again. Can always hope they falter one more time. Columbus has to loose eventually. Even better would be if we could snap up a win against them as well. Philly has dropped off as well and entered the race. Florida had their wave when they got back into it, now they are in the middle of the ocean waiting for another wave to either sweep them forward...or backwards. Lets hope it the first and they can grab a PO spot in the end. :)

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
New Jersey 82p (11g left -> 22p) -> 104p
Florida 77p (13g left -> 26p) --> 103p
Philadelphia 83p (10g left -> 20p) --> 103p
Columbus 83p (10g left -> 20p) --> 103p
If two of NJ, Philly and CBJ continue their torrid win streak, there's nothing we can complain about. They will have earned it.

I'm surprised though that good teams haven't figured out how to play these three better. None of them will advance far in playoffs anyway when the good teams focus on them. Which is exactly the fate that awaits us if by luck we make it. Nonetheless, I'd like us to make it.

This just reminds me of 2014-15 when we were chasing Ottawa, and I kept thinking, with a little over 20 games left, if they go something like even 13-7-3, we have a chance.

Led by the miraculous Hamburglar, they finished something like 20-1-2. If that's what it takes, I don't think we're it.

aviators99

Apr 8, 2012
Weston, Florida, USA
The last 4 games expecially have shown we've returned to our regular programming. We were lucky to beat Rangers. Ottawa and Edmonton for crying out loud out husttled us and Reimer stole Boston win a game were shouldnt been in

We've gone .500 in the last 4 games, which is what we expected. The fact that it was the opposite teams of what we expected doesn't matter, when it comes down to the standings. Based on strength of schedule, our percentages of making the playoffs have gone from 73% to 54% after yesterday, based on NHL Eastern Conference Playoff Picture, which takes into account strength of opponents. We're still more likely to be in than out, but barely. And still more likely WC1 than WC2, and the most likely team for WC1 of the 4. I'm not worried about making it. I'm worried about getting the play back in order. Yesterday looked awful. Maybe there's really something to the idea that day games suck? I don't like all the messing with the lines after the long winning streak. Things have gone downhill since then. But it certainly seems like Vatrano helps when he's on line 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: anders and

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
This is what happens when you shit the bed the first half of the season. We've been on a tear as of late but we had to climb a huge hill just to get back in the race after we dug ourselves a huge hole 40 games in.

With that said, the season is far from over. All it takes is two wins and one of the 3 teams in front of us to slip a bit and we're right back in it. We have 13 games left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad