Most overrated player in the NHL?

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Matthews. I think we have enough data. He can’t put the puck in the net nearly enough in the playoffs, and it changes the entire dynamic of the team. It’s great he can pile them up in the regular season, but he’s paid to be a difference maker, and in the postseason he is far from it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It has to be Mitch Marner. Matthews is taking a beating but he at least shows up. Maybe he doesn’t step it up enough but he’s so much better than Marner is.

Marner is Mr Regular season and does absolutely zero in the playoffs. He’s entitled, defiant, can’t handle criticism and makes way too much money.

The good news is that he’s young and still has time to change his reputation. But from what I’ve seen so far he has to be the most overrated player in the league.

I’d take Matthews anytime. He needs to be surrounded better but he’s a truly elite talent. At some point I think he’ll figure it out. I wouldn’t want Marner anywhere near my club.

yeaher

May 3, 2019
It has to be Mitch Marner. Matthews is taking a beating but he at least shows up. Maybe he doesn’t step it up enough but he’s so much better than Marner is.

Marner is Mr Regular season and does absolutely zero in the playoffs. He’s entitled, defiant, can’t handle criticism and makes way too much money.

The good news is that he’s young and still has time to change his reputation. But from what I’ve seen so far he has to be the most overrated player in the league.

I’d take Matthews anytime. He needs to be surrounded better but he’s a truly elite talent. At some point I think he’ll figure it out. I wouldn’t want Marner anywhere near my club.

The only problem with Marner is the leafs gave into him. Why pay an 8.5 million player 11 million?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The only problem with Marner is the leafs gave into him. Why pay an 8.5 million player 11 million?
It’s not the only problem. If you’re paying 8.5 you’re expecting the guy to show up in the playoffs. He doesn’t do that. The bigger the game the worse he plays.

yeaher

May 3, 2019
It’s not the only problem. If you’re paying 8.5 you’re expecting the guy to show up in the playoffs. He doesn’t do that. The bigger the game the worse he plays.

The guy is soft as DQ ice cream, but 47 points in 50 games is fine for that salary

Reactions: dukeofjive

yeaher

May 3, 2019
I don’t want to pay 8.5 for a guy who doesn’t show up when it matters. I’d rather spend it elsewhere.

I agree, that's what and where Toronto f***ed up. Nylander and Marner are two good players who have been living off of Matthews since 2016. Matthews needs to leave if he wants to win because those two are not it. Additionally, Tavares, but that's not as bad considering its a UFA which is rare.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I agree, that's what and where Toronto f***ed up. Nylander and Marner are two good players who have been living off of Matthews since 2016. Matthews needs to leave if he wants to win because those two are not it. Additionally, Tavares, but that's not as bad considering it’s a UFA which is rare.
Nylander has consistently been their best playoff player. He might be making too much but he shows up. Contract aside he can be on my team anytime.

Tavares unfortunately got hurt and has never been the same. That was just bad luck.

Marner? No excuse. I hate his attitude and he never shows up when it matters. I wouldn’t want anything to do with him at all.

Maybe he changes. Maybe he wakes up one day. And if that happens I’ll revise my opinion. But right now, I see him as a cancer and I’d want nothing to do with him at all.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Nylander has consistently been their best playoff player. He might be making too much but he shows up. Contract aside he can be on my team anytime.

Tavares unfortunately got hurt and has never been the same. That was just bad luck.

Marner? No excuse. I hate his attitude and he never shows up when it matters. I wouldn’t want anything to do with him at all.

Maybe he changes. Maybe he wakes up one day. And if that happens I’ll revise my opinion. But right now, I see him as a cancer and I’d want nothing to do with him at all.
Well Nylander surely doesn’t show up in the score sheet in the playoffs any more than Marner does.

0.91ppg vs. 0.78ppg

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Mark Scheilfele. No question.

The worst defensive player in the league.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
This post is interesting, but i think it would have been better had the post included a base definition of overrated to go off on, because a lot of it is interpretation that cant always be compared or argued.

For example, how many posts here are about future hall of famers that are now "overrated" because they are in their last days in the nhl?

Also, i think fans' expectations should be part of it - Matthews is overrated if you expect anything else but goals from him; he will not pull your team further out of "pure leadership". Makar is overrated if the definition of a defensemen (that he plays defense) is applied without talking about his offense. Not saying that AM and CM dont have those things at all, just making a point.

For me personally, overrated is mostly expectations and how they are met. I think an overrated player is PL Dubois in LA. I feel that he has a cycle where a team expects him to be a 1 or 2C, media gets dissapointed and then he wants to leave. I get the sense it'S the same in LA though he is a 3rd C there.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Well Nylander surely doesn’t show up in the score sheet in the playoffs any more than Marner does.

0.91ppg vs. 0.78ppg
Marner doesn’t show up at all beyond game 5. His stats are atrocious. He racks up points in meaningless games.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Every single player that plays on the Motoroil Canadiens gets overrated.

Bigger the market, especially if Canadian bigger market, equals more media coverage/money, equals more media hype, equals fans & media over hyping their players.........we see this constantly especially in Canadian big markets (Habs & Leafs) where hockey is the biggest sport by far in our country.

Reactions: Realgud

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016

Marner doesn’t show up at all beyond game 5. His stats are atrocious. He racks up points in meaningless games.

Oh my god, the apologies! Are you related to Matthews or something? What are you talking about Matthews showing up? Marner is a star, Matthews is a true superstar, yet Marner is outproducing Matthews in the playoffs and still gets more shit for it.

Matthews is held without points in more than 50% of all the playoff games he ever laced up for. In the last two games of every series that he's played, he's 7+4 for 11 points in 18 games! HOW is that a guy showing up? He's not even a 60 point player over 82 games!

Marner is taking so much shit when Matthews is the guy who truly deserves it. He's supposed to lead this team in the playoffs and he's a no-show most of the time.

Reactions: YippieKaey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad