Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Everyone makes mistakes though, and Hughes doesn't make a lot of them.

He is by far one of the best Canuck I've seen play and has the ability to carry a game like many superstar forwards. We are incredibly lucky to have him on the team

when he coughed up the puck coming out the corner, that never ever happens. a guy who you can give the puck to under pressure, or count on to get it, and 99 times out of 100 he will skate the puck safely out of the zone or successfully outlet pass it, that’s an advantage we have never even remotely come close to having before.

but what i love about him is after that, the camera went back to him on the bench during two subsequent stoppages in play and he was still on the iPad studying what happened. like, he knows he was out for too long and was tired, and i’m sure he learned a lesson there, but he also wanted to dissect the play to figure out what he could have done in the same situation so if he’s gassed but absolutely has to be on the ice he can still find a way to move the puck effectively to safety. in his mind, getting stripped like that will never ever happen again.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Does this kid ever get tired? One of Hughes' third period shifts was close to three minutes in length. And even at the end it, he wasn't showing much sign of fatigue.

I think it's a product of the way he skates.......it's basically effortless, and he generates so much top-end speed just off his skate edges. Sometimes it looks like he could play 30-35 minutes a game. But that's what all the great ones can do, I guess.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Does this kid ever get tired? One of Hughes' third period shifts was close to three minutes in length. And even at the end it, he wasn't showing much sign of fatigue.

I think it's a product of the way he skates.......it's basically effortless, and he generates so much top-end speed just off his skate edges. Sometimes it looks like he could play 30-35 minutes a game. But that's what all the great ones can do, I guess.
It's probably an extremely rare combination of elite skating, excellent fitness level and a high vo2 max

potatowejj

Oct 22, 2019
Quinn Hughes is f***ing ridiculous. His straight-ahead speed is decent, but it's his ability to move laterally, pivot, curl, twist and turn that is absolutely insane. I think the season he is having is one of the best any Canuck has had in franchise history.

Still thankful Arizona reached on Hayton and Detroit took Zadina.
Like Brian Leetch in his prime.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
If he doesn't win the norris trophy this year, they might as well remove the award itself.
That stat alone should win it for him. Adding on the fact that he has a *lower* O zone start % than Makar (61.62% vs Makar's 69.56%) and doesn't have Nathan MacKinnon to play with, it should be unanimous. Unfortunately there are still idiots with voting privileges and he probably won't sweep the Norris because of that.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
It's Hughes against the reputation of Makar. No one could objectively argue that Makar has had a better season but based on reputation some of these voters will convince themselves Makar should win the Norris- 1st example is the guy voting for Makar because of goals.

Reactions: VanCanucks53

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Mentioned in the game thread that he moved into tie for 14th most assists in a season by a D-man tonight.

What I didn’t mention is that he is the 8th different d-man to EVER have 75 assists in a season.p (Orr and Coffey did it a few times each). Which sort of annoys me…McDavid and Kucherov had impressive 100 assist seasons and as 4th and 5th different players to do it. It deserves accolades. But holy hell Hughes does as well yet hardly a peep about it.

YeahHeDid

Mar 26, 2011
Anyone catch Dom Luszczyszyn on Drances radio show yesterday? Jamie Dodd brought up Hughes and the Norris, which is a touchy subject with Dom because he's the guy who graded Quinn as a 3B defensemen at the start of the season.
He was such a smug jerk and acted so superior to anyone that pushed back on that, and now that the season is over, on the radio he essentially said "Sometimes I dig my heals in on something I really believe even if it goes against popular opinion but in the case of Hughes there were a lot of people I trust who was saying he was not as great as MY data showed and I was swayed by them"

A total cop out. That excuse is a crock of sh*t and self serving. I don't believe him for a second and even if what he's saying is true then his posts should be ignored because who knows if he actually believes what he's writing or not.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad