Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
This kid isn't getting over $7M, I don't care how many years. Drew Doughty signed for $7 million before he won 2 Stanley Cups and 2014 Gold Medal. I mean, Doughty already played on the 2010 Canadian Olympic team when he signed the $7M.

Hughes will never be a Doughty or a Makar. I wouldn't be surprised if Rathbone actually ends up being a better player because Jack is less soft and weaker than Quinn.

Make this kid earn his money, he's out there padding his stats on #1PP. I rather see Rathbone on #1 PP and hopefully we find a #1 defenceman that can play good defence in Hughes.

Less twirling and more checking.

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
This kid isn't getting over $7M, I don't care how many years. Drew Doughty signed for $7 million before he won 2 Stanley Cups and 2014 Gold Medal. I mean, Doughty already played on the 2010 Canadian Olympic team when he signed the $7M.

Hughes will never be a Doughty or a Makar. I wouldn't be surprised if Rathbone actually ends up being a better player because Jack is less soft and weaker than Quinn.

Make this kid earn his money, he's out there padding his stats on #1PP. I rather see Rathbone on #1 PP and hopefully we find a #1 defenceman that can play good defence in Hughes.

Less twirling and more checking.

Doughty's 7m is 8.875m now.

And yes, you'll probably have to pay Hughes 7mil or more if you want him to sign an 8 year deal like Doughty did and give up 4 UFA years or however many it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: DS7

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
He's put himself in a great spot to demand premium dollar due to a couple of factors:
  • Pettersson switching to his agent which strongly signals they will sign similar or identical contracts.
  • Makar's upcoming big dollar deal as a contract comp despite the fact Makar is very clearly a superior player.
His play this season is not worth more than $5M. He's a great powerplay quarterback who pads his stats on the PP. He's soft and often careless defensively, raising doubts as to whether he'll ever be able to wear the hat of a true #1. Like the poster above, I also wouldn't be surprised if Rathbone surpasses him on the depth chart at some point.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Rathbone actually ends up being a better player because Jack is less soft and weaker than Quinn.

I would be surprised if Rathbone > Hughes. Hughes has defensive limitations due mostly to size but he also has some true standout abilities. He's been in the NHL for two seasons (and is already elite offensively and in transition) while Rathbone has been in NCAA/AHL even though Rathbone is a few months older.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Extremely disappointed with his season not because of regression but because of lack of effort. Now that he's not a rookie anymore and Green gave him a long-ass leash does he think he's above back-checking? That effort on the 3rd or 4th senators' goal was gross.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Rathbone better than Hughes? That's crazy talk. But talk I'm willing to entertain as long as both play for the Canucks. :popcorn:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I would be surprised if Rathbone > Hughes. Hughes has defensive limitations due mostly to size but he also has some true standout abilities. He's been in the NHL for two seasons (and is already elite offensively and in transition) while Rathbone has been in NCAA/AHL even though Rathbone is a few months older.
I still think Hughes can be a top-pairing defenceman. But the most important task in the off-season is to find Hughes the best partner possible, so he develops to his maximum potential.

The J.T Miller trade helped our young forwards, we need to do the same on the defence. To me, it's clearly worth trading future picks to support a young franchise player that needs help.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Right now Hughes is running on fumes out there.....you can see it on almost every shift.

Somebody has get through to Green to cut his ice time in these last 11 meaningless games. I mean what's the point of playing him 20-plus minutes a night when the results literally don't matter?

For God's sake, empty the taxi squad of d-men and give him some rest....same with Edler.....it's cruel and unusual punishment watching them out there these days.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
do we actually think Rathbone can outscore Quinn? my gosh, lol hahah hf canucks has gone crazies.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
It's been a rough season for Hughes 5v5, not Rasmus Dahlin rough. but pretty close.
In his defense its been rough for this entire team, and I mean everyone.

he was so solid as a rookie, those were good times
19:20 hughes.png

What did they do to my boy
20:21 hughes.png

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I still think Hughes can be a top-pairing defenceman. But the most important task in the off-season is to find Hughes the best partner possible, so he develops to his maximum potential.

The J.T Miller trade helped our young forwards, we need to do the same on the defence. To me, it's clearly worth trading future picks to support a young franchise player that needs help.
Just call me get south. It appears I universally hold the polar opposite positions you do.

The JT Miller trade just prolonged the rebuild.

Pettersson and Boeser scored at the same levels with Goldobin and Leivo.

Making another 1st rounder or now help just creates another age gap and will limit any push from below.

Of course all of this is even more ridiculous when they had a perfect partner for him already here and a true blue Canuck but they let him leave to a rival to overpay a worse fit.

Edit* Good young offensive dmen on bad teams all struggle. Put Makar and Heiskanen in Buffalo and Vancouver and the results are similar.

Reactions: theguardianII

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
If it was just post Covid i wouldn't be concerned. Since last years playoffs when Vegas attacked him heavy and hard Hughes has been one of the worst defenders in all the NHL.

I'm confident he will turn the corner but the team will have to find 2 other LD that can be relied upon 5v5 because i doubt he's ever anyone you want out to protect a lead unless he can mark a fast shift guy like Marner or Kane

Tanev was as perfect as you could ask for to help guide Hughes along.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
If it was just post Covid i wouldn't be concerned. Since last years playoffs when Vegas attacked him heavy and hard Hughes has been one of the worst defenders in all the NHL.

I'm confident he will turn the corner but the team will have to find 2 other LD that can be relied upon 5v5 because i doubt he's ever anyone you want out to protect a lead unless he can mark a fast shift guy like Marner or Kane

Tanev was as perfect as you could ask for to help guide Hughes along.
Hughes defensive problems have been with him for years, offence he has but defence he has not, he couldn't do it college. That has always been his achilles heel, defence. And for the most part it is size, he can't clear the front of the net, win board battles and is shying away from hits, coughing up the puck.
Even with Tanev he was a minus player.

IMO you use his "fame" and trade him for a 40 point dman that can be a plus player. The PP isn't better with him than it was without, before him.
I would maybe try a blockbuster with Buffalo
Eichel and Dahlin for Hughes, Miller and Boeser. Maybe even throw in a pick.

Eichel wants out. Dahlin likes Pettersson to play with.

The market gets sold on 3 firsts for two.
Canucks then have 3 very good centers

Reactions: John Snow

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Hughes defensive problems have been with him for years, offence he has but defence he has not, he couldn't do it college. That has always been his achilles heel, defence. And for the most part it is size, he can't clear the front of the net, win board battles and is shying away from hits, coughing up the puck.
Even with Tanev he was a minus player.

IMO you use his "fame" and trade him for a 40 point dman that can be a plus player. The PP isn't better with him than it was without, before him.
I would maybe try a blockbuster with Buffalo
Eichel and Dahlin for Hughes, Miller and Boeser. Maybe even throw in a pick.

Eichel wants out. Dahlin likes Pettersson to play with.

The market gets sold on 3 firsts for two.
Canucks then have 3 very good centers

Hughes was a +4 last year at 5v5, 2nd among blueliners to Edler's +6, with everyone else a minus. His overall minus was due to things like PP goals against, empty net goals against, 3 on 3, etc. He showed last year he's definitely capable of being a quality defenseman 5v5, even if he'll likely never be an all situations number 1. This year shouldn't define him and would be selling low. Also, no chance Buffalo makes that move.

Reactions: canuckking1

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Hughes was a +4 last year at 5v5, 2nd among blueliners to Edler's +6, with everyone else a minus. His overall minus was due to things like PP goals against, empty net goals against, 3 on 3, etc. He showed last year he's definitely capable of being a quality defenseman 5v5, even if he'll likely never be an all situations number 1. This year shouldn't define him and would be selling low. Also, no chance Buffalo makes that move.

Ummmm you don’t get a minus for a PP goal against lol. He was a minus -10 last year on a playoff team.

are his 3 goals really worth all the stupid chances he takes, and terrible defending being a minus -25?
Nope.

Reactions: John Snow

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
You get a minus for shorthanded goals allowed against. Hughes wasn't bad last year 5v5 (+4 goal differential as stated) while having a good defensive partner.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
We really need to get another top 4 dman who can run PP2 and log big minutes so Hughes doesnt have to get all the defensive zone starts against the other teams top players. Hughes should really be limited to offensive zone starts and PP1 he gets hemmed into his own zone far too often.

I would dangle JT miller and our 2022 1st (lottery protected) as Trade bait. Hopefully we can get a top 4 dman (18-28) and a 3rd line Centre (22-28) for Miller. I dont thinks thats asking too much for what he brings and his contract in a flat cap era. We could also use miller to offload some cap

Dougie Hamilton is a UFA this year and is the type of player we are looking for. Top 4, RHD, Fits our Core, can run a PP.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
We really need to get another top 4 dman who can run PP2 and log big minutes so Hughes doesnt have to get all the defensive zone starts against the other teams top players. Hughes should really be limited to offensive zone starts and PP1 he gets hemmed into his own zone far too often.

I would dangle JT miller and our 2022 1st (lottery protected) as Trade bait. Hopefully we can get a top 4 dman (18-28) and a 3rd line Centre (22-28) for Miller. I dont thinks thats asking too much for what he brings and his contract in a flat cap era. We could also use miller to offload some cap

Dougie Hamilton is a UFA this year and is the type of player we are looking for. Top 4, RHD, Fits our Core, can run a PP.

Hamilton isn't trusted in the last minutes of games. Has the best defensive D in Slavin to cover for him and over half his points come on the PP. I don't think he's a fit on this team.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Defensive Pairs - Natural Stat Trick

Small sample size but I wonder why the Hughes-Schmidt pairing has not been tried more this season? Schmidt has arguably been our best defensive D this season and would help support and augment Hughes' game. We can then free up a guy like Hamonic/Edler to mentor one of the young defenseman in a lesser role. I guess they probably want to spread the "wealth" and avoid an Edler/Myers or Edler/Hamonic or Myers/Hamonic (2nd pairing). Seems to be a poorly designed defense.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Small sample size but I wonder why the Hughes-Schmidt pairing has not been tried more this season? Schmidt has arguably been our best defensive D this season and would help support and augment Hughes' game. We can then free up a guy like Hamonic/Edler to mentor one of the young defenseman in a lesser role. I guess they probably want to spread the "wealth" and avoid an Edler/Myers or Edler/Hamonic or Myers/Hamonic (2nd pairing). Seems to be a poorly designed defense.

This is what should have happened from Day 1 but dinosaur thinking from dinosaur people says you can’t play two smallish defenders together.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

I'm a Dougie stan, and obviously adding an elite player is good, but if the need is for a defensive-oriented top-four guy then Hamilton shouldn't be a priority. A lot of his value is on the PP, and he and Hughes would cannibalize each other in that regard. There's 0% chance Dougie is signing here anyway.

I've been saying repeatedly that Jake McCabe should absolutely be a prime target for a defensive top-four player: Still young-ish (age 27), likely undervalued coming off a tough season in Buffalo and injuries, and sterling isolated defensive metrics.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

I think Green likes having one "stopper" pair to play ultra-tough minutes. The Hughes-Schmidt pairing got a butter soft deployment which potentially makes the corsi-for misleading.

That being said, I would like to see Hughes thrown into some tough minutes to see if he can sink or swim. Worst case scenario, his numbers tank and his contract isn't as onerous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad