Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Cant play well beside when paired with Myers.
Bust.
He is getting pretty close to being a puck hog.

It doesn't matter who he plays with, he played 27 minutes 43 seconds vs Arizona.
Pretty close to 10 minutes longer than any other defenceman, maybe that is the problem nobody else can get into a rhythm.

Against lowly and shocked Utah/Arizona he plays almost half the game. He literally played with ALL the defencemen.
The Hughes/Myers combo were on the ice for two Canuck goals, 2 out of 3, a bust?

Let's that it a bit further, Hughes 2+ minute shifts cause the parings to be shuffled around, unplanned. His 1+ shifts, up to 1:55, also cause chaos. Maybe Hughes should have his minutes cut back a bit. Or put him at forward instead of Rover.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

It doesn't matter who he plays with, he played 27 minutes 43 seconds vs Arizona.
Pretty close to 10 minutes longer than any other defenceman, maybe that is the problem nobody else can get into a rhythm.

Against lowly and shocked Utah/Arizona he plays almost half the game. He literally played with ALL the defencemen.
The Hughes/Myers combo were on the ice for two Canuck goals, 2 out of 3, a bust?

Let's that it a bit further, Hughes 2+ minute shifts cause the parings to be shuffled around, unplanned. His 1+ shifts, up to 1:55, also cause chaos. Maybe Hughes should have his minutes cut back a bit. Or put him at forward instead of Rover.
dude……

Reactions: theguardianII

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong

why wouldnt you want your norris d play a lot of minutes?

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
dude……

why wouldnt you want your norris d play a lot of minutes?
Yes, but the team has had notable players and were still bottom feeders. Maybe none with his credentials but wins are important too.
So many other defencemen get roasted for every little mistake but they have to change how they play to be on the ice with him.
Cole might be the only dman that doesn't but then his game is so compact now he is older.

He hasn't won the Norris yet, should but then playing him this much seems to be a caveat for the end of the season.

"We may have lost but we have Hughes" If does win the Norris that news will overshadow all other issues.

I don't know if any f you have coached or watched minor hockey levels but when a player like Hughes gets the puck it is instinctive to watch which disrupts system play. Sometimes they become like lawn ornaments

Besides Hughes isn't really a defenceman in the traditional sense, he is much closer to a rover, sort of a hybrid of forward and defence. Even Makar is closer to the traditional defenceman and that is what gives him a leg up for the Norris. Makar does his work mostly from a defence position but Hughes is all over the place, more like McDavid without the scoring touch or size, all over. When he is on the ice who gets the puck, Miller who was earlier in the year, Pettersson who was last year and the start of this year or Hughes?

• Wow
Reactions: LordBacon

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Will become the greatest Canuck ever when he hangs them up. There I said it. He is the best defencemen in the league, and IMO we've never had a guy be #1 in the league in any of our positions.
I thought Luongo was #1 in his position for a few years there (07-11 roughly, playoff excluded :sarcasm:)

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
It's crazy, I've been fan since Paul Rinehart was our offensive D and his career was all too short. Since then I've dreamed of having a defenseman on this team who could just crack 60 points and be a #1 for us. Brown was a 1-year wonder, Lumme always left you wanting more, and Ehrhoff was similar. None were remotely as dynamic.

Now with 91 points and 4 games left - so impressive. I think he'll go down as the best Canuck of all time, and I hope management can provide Quinn with the support he needs.

I also think his minutes need to be managed - in the playoffs, OT can go on forever and you worry about smaller defensemen getting worn down over a brutal series. It ought to be a major learning experience.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Using goals to sway your argument which is 3 at this point in one of the dumbest franking things i have ever heard

catapult that voter into space

also no more myers, i feel like I am taking crazy pills, it doesnt work
this is years of evidence, and eye tests, and underlying numbers

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Yes, but the team has had notable players and were still bottom feeders. Maybe none with his credentials but wins are important too.
So many other defencemen get roasted for every little mistake but they have to change how they play to be on the ice with him.
Cole might be the only dman that doesn't but then his game is so compact now he is older.

He hasn't won the Norris yet, should but then playing him this much seems to be a caveat for the end of the season.

"We may have lost but we have Hughes" If does win the Norris that news will overshadow all other issues.

I don't know if any f you have coached or watched minor hockey levels but when a player like Hughes gets the puck it is instinctive to watch which disrupts system play. Sometimes they become like lawn ornaments

Besides Hughes isn't really a defenceman in the traditional sense, he is much closer to a rover, sort of a hybrid of forward and defence. Even Makar is closer to the traditional defenceman and that is what gives him a leg up for the Norris. Makar does his work mostly from a defence position but Hughes is all over the place, more like McDavid without the scoring touch or size, all over. When he is on the ice who gets the puck, Miller who was earlier in the year, Pettersson who was last year and the start of this year or Hughes?
you're overthinking it. Hes the team leader, his minutes are at a manageable level, he played 22 minutes against VGK. He is the literal best defenseman in the world this year, you're supposed to play him every chance you get. If the others start puck watching him, its the coach's job to snap them out of it. If his shifts are getting too long, Tocchet's job is to coach him back. He is doing what he's supposed to do, and drive and transition like a maniac. When you have a mercurial talent like him on your team, the teams style of play should be molded to suit you. The same way Oiler's style suit McD, Tampa plays globetrotter style, Jets is built around defense and Hellebuyck.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
what winger was better than pavel in 1994?
none. he was a mini juggernaut scoring 60. He was the only source of offense on the team with Courtnall trailing 37 points behind. Not only was he the focal point of the other team's game plan to contain, he entranced the whole league and is must see TV.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Quinn Hughes is f***ing ridiculous. His straight-ahead speed is decent, but it's his ability to move laterally, pivot, curl, twist and turn that is absolutely insane. I think the season he is having is one of the best any Canuck has had in franchise history.

Still thankful Arizona reached on Hayton and Detroit took Zadina.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Quinn Hughes is f***ing ridiculous. His straight-ahead speed is decent, but it's his ability to move laterally, pivot, curl, twist and turn that is absolutely insane. I think the season he is having is one of the best any Canuck has had in franchise history.

Detroit fumbled bad, Hughes was in their backyard at the University of Michigan too. Hughes would’ve continued the defensemen factory of the Red Wings.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I mean, I will add a bit of objectivity here and say that Hughes is fully responsible for the third Arizona goal where he absolutely could have gone for a line change, didn't, and then blew his defensive coverage because he was tired.

We cannot have that in the playoffs.

He's an incredibly elite offensive talent, but like all great #1 defenceman in NHL history, responsibility in his own zone is what's going to take him from great to all-time great.

Reactions: Jay26

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
Everyone makes mistakes though, and Hughes doesn't make a lot of them.

He is by far one of the best Canuck I've seen play and has the ability to carry a game like many superstar forwards. We are incredibly lucky to have him on the team

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Unbelievable day. I was absolutely stoked he was still available.

I had Hughes rated 2/3 behind Dahlin on draft day, flip flopping with Svechnikov. Clearly I was wrong. He should have been picked first.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
So happy to eat crow on this draft pick. My preference at the time was Dobson, so that wouldn't have turned out poorly. He's no Hughes but obviously a stud in his own right and RHD.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
If Montreal picked Zadina, and Arizona picked Kotka/Tkachuk, Detroit would’ve gotten Hughes. The thing is I don’t think they even looked at Hughes as an option. I think they were higher on Bouchard.

them picking Zadina who was consistently ranked 3rd/4th with some scouts even ranking him as high as 2 wasn’t actually bad at the time. if anything, Arizona picking Hayton was the biggest blunder, I mean everyone was like wtf .

I wanted Hughes as soon as Tkachuk was off the board but I did prefer Tkachuk/Hughes/Dobson whoever was available in that order assuming Svechnikov and Zadina were already selected. I had Kotkaniemi as my DND under any circumstances. Hughes turning out to be the best defenseman in the NHL is not what I expected for sure but his game breaking talent was evident in his draft year.

but there’s definitely a lot of revisionist history in regards to the whole Zadina thing. Zadina busted hard and it happens but he was a really good prospect.

Reactions: Jay26

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I wanted Zadina badly but I liked both Hughes/Dobson

I did not want Boqvist or Bouchard lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad