GDT: Quarterfinal - May 17 - Russia vs Canada

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
And you guys are going to most likely hand our asses to us if we don't start playing hard for 60 minutes and we can't get ANY saves from our goalies.

I would think they are going to have to go back to Mcillenny now.
Dude, we never beat you guys if we face off 2 times in a tournament and Finland has been very bipolar. I think you have a great chance to make into the the finals.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Great win for Canada, scoring 5 goals and really having to battle it out bodes well for the semis unfortunately for us. I think they'll play their best game in the semis.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Meh, our offense will likely dry up and defense will be broken through in the match.
Only way we win is through abysmal goaltending from CAN again. A team with McD should be going through our defense like it's nothing.
Our team has been listless for large stretches of the game with no secondary scoring beyond Mcdavid and our goaltending has been nothing short of atrocious................................Finland will tear them a new one if this does not change, it's that simple and I think you know that but are just not into jinxing your team.

It's o.k, I understand that as I do the same thing with teams I cheer for.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Dude, we never beat you guys if we face off 2 times in a tournament and Finland has been very bipolar. I think you have a great chance to make into the the finals.
We'll see I guess won't we?

But let's not get ahead of ourselves, you have to beat the Swiss first....................and that won't be simple.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
We'll see I guess won't we?

But let's not get ahead of ourselves, you have to beat the Swiss first....................and that won't be simple.
It really won't, especially with Finland's constant fumbling against mediocre countries.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Conspiracy theory time.

Finnish ref knew that Canada already lost to Finland and wanted to set up Canada vs. Finland.

Wait, I'm not a crazy European who believes that the ref nationality plays a factor.
Nice, totally needed quote. Thanks.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Too bad the game wasn't decided by the players on the ice. That American ref won the game for Canada. They scored 3 power play goals, all 3 on tacky little calls that the referee thrust his hand up on.

Great credit to the Russian team that played over their heads in the 3 games that they lost. If, as many Russian posters noted, this was the worst Russian roster since 2005, they certainly stood tall in every game. Much of it has to do with the leadership from Datsyuk, who will turn 40 in 2 months. He was amazing in what almost certainly be the last time he puts on the Russian uniform. I was one who said before the tournament started that it was unlikely that they would survive the Quarterfinal, but I had no idea how close they would come. Overall, excellent job by the new coaching staff, I thought they did an excellent job of plugging holes in the defense and motivating the forwards to attack hard. They came close!

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I arrived home during Canada's final powerplay. From what I heard in the post game, credit to Russia for fighting back repeatedly. I don't expect a whole lot from Canada in the next game unless McDavid goes off.

Reactions: BlitzSnipe

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3