GDT: Quarterfinal - May 17 - Russia vs Canada

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Too bad the game wasn't decided by the players on the ice. That American ref won the game for Canada. They scored 3 power play goals, all 3 on tacky little calls that the referee thrust his hand up on.

Great credit to the Russian team that played over their heads in the 3 games that they lost. If, as many Russian posters noted, this was the worst Russian roster since 2005, they certainly stood tall in every game. Much of it has to do with the leadership from Datsyuk, who will turn 40 in 2 months. He was amazing in what almost certainly be the last time he puts on the Russian uniform. I was one who said before the tournament started that it was unlikely that they would survive the Quarterfinal, but I had no idea how close they would come. Overall, excellent job by the new coaching staff, I thought they did an excellent job of plugging holes in the defense and motivating the forwards to attack hard. They came close!
It was decided by the players. Russia were undisciplined and got lit up with the man advantage. Both of those things could have been different if Russia made proper adjustments

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Ok, it was pretty sloppy, but hard to deny that was a pretty fun game to watch. With this goaltending and how the team had trended, all I'm really happy for is the team is guaranteed to play two more games instead of going home at this stage.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Don't shoot the messenger! I'm just observing what all you guys know is true. If the game would have been decided by a tacky little contact call against a Canadian player, there would be riots in the streets throughout Canada. Don't assault your own credibility by saying that that was a vicious hit by Kaprizov that should have gotten him banned for life. It was a tacky little "discretionary" call in overtime that decided which of the 2 teams was eliminated without opportunity to win a medal. My apologies to the USA - I thought that dick was American!

Crappy IIHF refs are taken as a given here in Canada

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
What would you expect us to say?...................he played lights out?

I'm sure you have never been critical of any players on your team.

I'll keep an eye on your teams threads to check that out.

How could you Come to that conclusion from anything I wrote?

You dont call someone a disgrace for having a bad game. Thats all.

Reactions: Pouliot

Sweden

Feb 13, 2014
Great game, rooted for Russia but it was evident that the McDavid line was going to win Canada the game! Good game fellas.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Too bad the game wasn't decided by the players on the ice. That American ref won the game for Canada. They scored 3 power play goals, all 3 on tacky little calls that the referee thrust his hand up on.

Great credit to the Russian team that played over their heads in the 3 games that they lost. If, as many Russian posters noted, this was the worst Russian roster since 2005, they certainly stood tall in every game. Much of it has to do with the leadership from Datsyuk, who will turn 40 in 2 months. He was amazing in what almost certainly be the last time he puts on the Russian uniform. I was one who said before the tournament started that it was unlikely that they would survive the Quarterfinal, but I had no idea how close they would come. Overall, excellent job by the new coaching staff, I thought they did an excellent job of plugging holes in the defense and motivating the forwards to attack hard. They came close!
Russia got dominated and were only in it due to one of the worst Goaltending performances in history.

Reactions: Blue prez

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
How could you Come to that conclusion from anything I wrote?

You dont call someone a disgrace for having a bad game. Thats all.

I can agree that using the term disgrace is over the top, but you seem to be giving a moral lecture to our fans as if we are the only ones that engage in this. I may be mistaken but I think you are a swedish fan correct?

I've been to the Swedish threads a lot over the years, when your fans aren't pleased......................the criticism is pretty f***in thick.

Keep that in mind.

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
lol come now its a textbook hook right in front of the ref. Called 10/10 times. Salt is tangible

Reactions: Jamin

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I can agree that using the term disgrace is over the top, but you seem to be giving a moral lecture to our fans as if we are the only ones that engage in this. I may be mistaken but I think you are a swedish fan correct?

I've been to the Swedish threads a lot over the years, when your fans aren't pleased......................the criticism is pretty ****in thick.

Keep that in mind.

I would be calling anyone out regardless of nationality that would use that Word towards a player representing their country. Poor game or not.

Call it a lecture if you will, i dont think common sense should be called a lecture though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad