GDT: Quarterfinal - May 17 - Russia vs Canada

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Stop being a homer! The contact was of two players contesting for the puck near the boards 50 feet from the goal. When no one is disadvantaged, and you make that call anyway, then it is fair to give credit for the victory to the Finnish referee!

It was a doubtful call, it can go either way in this kind of situations. To me, Kaprizov made a non-necessary effort in stick-checking the opponent, right in front of the referee, if that was not enough. Probably whistling this kind of penalties in the OT is not really a good thing, but we can't say that Russia lost due to the refs, let's be honest. We should have won this game. The third and the fourth goals allowed were as usual defensive breakdowns. Our top line didn't play up to their potential (Gusev wasn't 100% I think). The coach opted for a grinders-heavy lineup as usual, that's what probably costed us the tournament. Our forwards were mostly good, but we lacked quality players to finish the chances players built.
I wouldn't consider this defeat a catastrophe, the real catastrophe is that the national team is just used to serve the purpose of a couple of teams to scout and reclute players for the next campaigns.
I have nothing on the Rotenbergs, they know what they do, but they shouldn't be allowed to run a KHL team and the national team. No one should be, that is. If the only purpose of a national team is to check if a player or a coach is good enough to play or work for SKA, then the future doesn't look bright.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
"My penalty decided everything," said Kaprizov. "I broke the rules. I shouldn’t have got involved there. But I didn’t think the refs were going to call the penalty. It was their call."

IIHF - O'Reilly the overtime hero!

Refreshing to hear that. It's true that you never know what is going to be called in OT.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
"My penalty decided everything," said Kaprizov. "I broke the rules. I shouldn’t have got involved there. But I didn’t think the refs were going to call the penalty. It was their call."

Refreshing to hear that. It's true that you never know what is going to be called in OT.

So much for the "unclassy Russian" stereotype.

Reactions: Aerrol

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

Then why did he bitch so much when the call was made? He gave a shrug of his shoulders and a wtf look at the referee. He is stepping up to take the blame, which in no way suggests that he really believes that it was a deserved penalty. Don't buy in to the gesture of sincerity in his public face.

Credit Canada for taking advantage of the opportunity the referee gave them. This was a discretionary penalty, in an area outside of scoring range that did not involve a high stick to the face, too many men on the ice, or delay of game. To call that in overtime in an elimination game where the penalized team has to defend with 3 players on the ice is a travesty. They should have allowed the players to decide which was the better team under equal conditions according to their merits.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Then why did he ***** so much when the call was made? He gave a shrug of his shoulders and a wtf look at the referee. He is stepping up to take the blame, which in no way suggests that he really believes that it was a deserved penalty. Don't buy in to the gesture of sincerity in his public face.

Credit Canada for taking advantage of the opportunity the referee gave them. This was a discretionary penalty, in an area outside of scoring range that did not involve a high stick to the face, too many men on the ice, or delay of game. To call that in overtime in an elimination game where the penalized team has to defend with 3 players on the ice is a travesty. They should have allowed the players to decide which was the better team under equal conditions according to their merits.

I'll take his word for it over yours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad