GDT: Quarterfinal - February 21 - Sweden (3) vs Germany (4) OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
3 or 4 minutes into the third, Dahlin gets his first shift. Immediately he starts making things happen and soon after, Sweden scores on a play from Dahlin. That is why he was there. To shake things up. To create scoring chances. To pump jet fule into the offensive when it stagnates. But why waste the whole second period after it was apparent that Tre Kronor was not creating chances in the first period? The PP was still a big f***ing questionmark after completing the group stage. They should have allowed Dahlin to show what he was capable of. He is already the best defenceman in the SHL dancing the blue line. That he is a perfect fit on that PP was so apparent that it boggles the mind how they could not have thought to use him there? I saw one or two shifts on the PP the whole tournament! Am I the one who is crazy here?

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
That is 2 overtimes in a row they won to move on. Just amazing and great days for German hockey!

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Disappointing.
Grönborg didnt use his resources right, and Garpenlöv disnt get the powerplay working at all - thats what they should get **** for. Sadly, the state of the SHL (as Ive been mentioning before) is worse than it was a few years ago. We have loooots of players overseas compared to like 10 years ago and that explain pretty much.

To those that compare this loss to Belarus in 2002 are kidding themselves. Germany are a competative team and is basically the same one that pushed us in last years WCH in which we had a way better roster.

Yes, this was our E-roster vs the germans A-team (Draisatl and someone else missing), but Im disappointed of how Grönborg and co coached this team. I also question how they handled Dahlin - and why did they keepthat SAIK line intact?...

I dont see this as a fiasco, but I think Sweden couldve handled things better.
Remember WC 15 and 17! Sweden has strong rosters with NHLers but in 15 they win 4:3 in tight game and 17 7:2 but the first two Periods the Germans was very competitive.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
3 or 4 minutes into the third, Dahlin gets his first shift. Immediately he starts making things happen and soon after, Sweden scores on a play from Dahlin. That is why he was there. To shake things up. To create scoring chances. To pump jet fule into the offensive when it stagnates. But why waste the whole second period after it was apparent that Tre Kronor was not creating chances in the first period? The PP was still a big ****ing questionmark after completing the group stage. They should have allowed Dahlin to show what he was capable of. He is already the best defenceman in the SHL dancing the blue line. That he is a perfect fit on that PP was so apparent that it boggles the mind how they could not have thought to use him there? I saw one or two shifts on the PP the whole tournament! Am I the one who is crazy here?

He will get his second Chance i hope in the World Cup. I think he proved now you can trust on him. Also when some older once join the Team he can play a bit easier.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Germany will not be heavy underdogs against Canada. Under dogs yes but not by much.

They have a punchers chance of playing for Gold.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
E roster really? i would say C roster

I would more like D to be honest, a few player from this team could be in team B or C, like Omark, but most would be in D or E.

But it do not matter, this team should have won no matter what.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Best Olympics ever! Thank you Uncle Gary!

Will forge a Bettman statue for the garden if Germany wins Gold.
Im surprised big European hockey nations are not more upset having no NHLers.
Anyway European leagues tend to excessive deference.
What they get for the development of young players is a joke for example.

BerlinBlueShirt

Feb 25, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Great game by our guys. Really proud of them. They played well organized in D, goaltending was great and there is some offensive talent around. Probably the journey ends vs Canada but as the poster above mentioned it could be a closer game than most expect. I am really looking forward to it. A medal would hopefully give hockey a boost here

Reactions: Frannel

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Full NHL-roster last WC in Germany!
Just a few years ago, there were many declines from SWE NHLers. The point is, why to have so many NHLers if you can not use them to play for your NT?

IIHF events are ****, so who want to play those, besides OG when everyone could join, but IIHF and Bettman just sux so it aint happening ever again.

Maybe IIHF could grow some, so NHL actully pay for our players from Europe
You can not be serious about NHL actually pay for our players from Europe. You know, there is a joke what currency the Holy See use - Lord God payment (not sure if a correct translation to English, but you get the point). So, the NHL is using the same currency - Thank You, great player for us!

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
They can take silver at least at best. Maybe even gold but i think it means beating russia..

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
These results means basically nothing. I am more surprised about the fact that you guys care about this tournament, rather than about Germany beating Sweden. I will probably watch CzechRep-Russia and GMG, but meh, who cares. Just a step above EHT.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
These results means basically nothing. I am more surprised that you guys care about this tournament. I will probably watch CzechRep-Russia and GMG, but meh, who cares. Just a step above EHT.

The good thing about NHL not coming, is this is not noticed among the general population! To them, this is still the Olympics. This also means good results for a team like Germany will be seen as proof Germany is now a hockey-nation. For young kids in Germany this shows them hockey is among the sports they need to try if they dream of becoming big stars in -well, something- when they grow up. Who knows, perhaps NHL will draft future German superstars in ten years time because NHL didn't go this year?

Reactions: BerlinBlueShirt

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
The good thing about NHL not coming, is this is not noticed among the general population! To them, this is still the Olympics. This also means good results for a team like Germany will be seen as proof Germany is now a hockey-nation. For young kids in Germany this shows them hockey is among the sports they need to try if they dream of becoming big stars in -well, something- when they grow up. Who knows, perhaps NHL will draft future German superstars in ten years time because NHL didn't go this year?

Agreed, I'm all for it.

Good for Germany! Congrats for the win!

Reactions: Frannel

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Sorry if this was already brought up, but that GWG looked close to offside no?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Sweden is feast or famine in Olympic hockey.

2 Gold Medals and a silver medal 4 years ago.

But Losses in the quarterfinals to Belarus, Slovakia, and Germany.

Was this OT goal any bad as the Salo goal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad