GDT: Quarterfinal - February 21 - Sweden (3) vs Germany (4) OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Just thought I'd put it out there that Oilers goalies have screwed Sweden twice now - Salo against Belarus, Fasth against Germany, both 4-3 losses, both times Sweden would have gone on to face Canada in the semifinals...

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
on paper? i would say equal. we did beat them in the group game btw.

no big deal to lose to czech in 2004 world cup, but it was HOW we losed, 1-6 is big number and sweden was terrible.

and then we also lost to finland in 1998...and to belarus 2002 and to slovakia 2010....why do we keep losing this games?
Slovak team in 2010 wasnt much weaker on paper

Orange Dragon

Feb 5, 2016
Slovak team in 2010 wasnt much weaker on paper

Pretty much this.

Losing to Czechs in 2004 or to Slovakia in 2010 is not comparable to losing to Belarus. Remember that Slovakia was also close to spoil Canadian road to gold in Vancouver.

Abraham de Lacy

Old generations last hurray!

There is a reason these players play this kind of game.

Yes, the Swedish national hockey team Tre Kronor has officially stated (years ago) a need for a new kind of player; one which does not dump and chase but plays a puck possession game where individual skill is emphasized already at junior level.

Individual skill does matter.

This years Tre Kronor was the last hurray for the older and less individually skilled type of player. They are not bad players by any stretch, they are tactically skilled perfect cogs in the old style. They are war-machines.

Rasmus Dahlin is perhaps the poster boy for the new generation and not really representative of the new collective (he is an anomaly in some sense, he started skating at 2yrs old, I could not even walk at that age, Connor McDavid started at 3yrs). The new generation, as far as I can tell, is better symbolized by Elias Petterson or Adam Bokvist lets say.

Creativity, hockey IQ (what ever that is), technical skill, skating and so forth.

It was telling that in an interview with one of the Swedish defence-men during training, he wanted to be a tutor for Rasmus but found himself rather being tutored about things by the 17 year old youngster instead.

I am not sure that this was/is a correct description of the interview but it was the feeling I got from it. There seems to be a great divide between the old generation and the young and qualitatively different generation represented by Rasmus Dahlin.

This game showed that the old generation is slowly fading and that the generational shift is going to be painful.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Just a few years ago, there were many declines from SWE NHLers. The point is, why to have so many NHLers if you can not use them to play for your NT?

You can not be serious about NHL actually pay for our players from Europe. You know, there is a joke what currency the Holy See use - Lord God payment (not sure if a correct translation to English, but you get the point). So, the NHL is using the same currency - Thank You, great player for us!

NHL pays for players from Europe, a tiny sum. Of course NHL should pay, how much revenue dont you think Frölunda loose when Rasmus moves to NHL? The team who drafts Dahlin should pay 950k*3 dollars to sign him and move him from Sweden, we need the money for return of investment and loss of future income.
Dont wanna pay? Dont draft...

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
BTW: Very annoying with the yellow on the German jerseys. Far to much, just the same color as on the Swedish ones. Was the same in the group stage.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
For the first time ever not a swedish team dont win the Champions Hockey League and now this. Crappy year for swedehockey. Swedes had their Cor D team but Germany was real good o thought. Congrats!

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
It is happening right now.
Only players that would be better than Draisaitl is Karlsson and Backstrom.

More funding and they will most likely overtake the Scandinavian countries.
Well since Swedes has been teaching training and hockey organisation in Europe for more than a decade. Suit your selves

Abraham de Lacy

How many times we heard it?

Yes, I know .. you are correct .. we have heard this many many times. What Finland, Sweden and Czech republic have in common is the strong feedback loop of hockey infrastructure; players becoming coaches, junior leagues, skating rinks .. all those things.

There is a very high standard in this system. You can not create this from scratch over night. But Germany is particularly good at these things .. organizing and infrastructure.

Get one or two generations of kids entering into it and there will be a sufficiently large normal distribution from which to pick the very best fruits. Which will then hopefully enforce the feedback loop.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Well since Swedes has been teaching training and hockey organisation in Europe for more than a decade. Suit your selves
I'm sorry if I sounded like a douche. My main point was that the more countries getting into hockey the better. I would never crap on Sweden or Finland they are extremely impressive and passionate especially for the size of country they are at. Success (which I hope will end against Canada) will make more Germans pay attention hopefully, find out who draisaitl is and want to play this beautiful game.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
NHL pays for players from Europe, a tiny sum. Of course NHL should pay, how much revenue dont you think Frölunda loose when Rasmus moves to NHL? The team who drafts Dahlin should pay 950k*3 dollars to sign him and move him from Sweden, we need the money for return of investment and loss of future income.
Dont wanna pay? Dont draft...
"a tiny sum" is important here. The sad part is that Swedish Hockey Federation has done nothing to change the broken system of transfers, otherwise they were first who supported this system. And this EHC, run by Szemberg, is another crappy & useless organisation.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
For the first time ever not a swedish team dont win the Champions Hockey League and now this. Crappy year for swedehockey. Swedes had their Cor D team but Germany was real good o thought. Congrats!

And most Swedes look like manure in the NHL too this season.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
One bright spot of the NHLless Olympics is you get to see some non-traditional upsets like this!
Hope Canada defeats them, but if not, then hope Germany brings it home!

Would it be Germany's first gold or medal in Olympic Hockey?

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Just thought I'd put it out there that Oilers goalies have screwed Sweden twice now - Salo against Belarus, Fasth against Germany, both 4-3 losses, both times Sweden would have gone on to face Canada in the semifinals...
So you are saying that the Oilers are Canada's team?

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
One bright spot of the NHLless Olympics is you get to see some non-traditional upsets like this!

Yes, it would be. They won bronze in Innsbruck 76.

Reactions: Hobble

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So you are saying that the Oilers are Canada's team?

The Salo thing was so bittersweet as an Oilers fan.

It basically ruined him because he never recovered from that and the Oilers lost a Top 10 NHL goaltender from that one play.

On the other hand, I'm not sure Canada beats Sweden in the SFs in 2002. Instead they get a weak Belarus team, gain confidence, polish up their game, and go on to win gold.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

Our best was winning bronze in 76 (over Finland because the goal quotient was an awesome .042 higher) and bronze in 32

Reactions: Hobble

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
The Salo thing was so bittersweet as an Oilers fan.

It basically ruined him because he never recovered from that and the Oilers lost a Top 10 NHL goaltender from that one play.

On the other hand, I'm not sure Canada beats Sweden in the SFs in 2002. Instead they get a weak Belarus team, gain confidence, polish up their game, and go on to win gold.
Always thought it was unfair to put the blame of the loss on a single fluke goal.

Abraham de Lacy

Sweden should have played Dahlin more. Got what they deserved for benching him imo.

Yes. THIS ^ He got an assist on his second shift of the game .. he set that goal up, it was in some sense his goal. And yes, he fumbled and was partially responsible for the German goal that followed.

He sees the game differently and that might be both a blessing and a curse. The old generation needs to go.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Always thought it was unfair to put the blame of the loss on a single fluke goal.

Salo was pretty poor that entire game though - that goal was just the cherry on top of that bitter cake.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Salo was pretty poor that entire game though - that goal was just the cherry on top of that bitter cake.
That's true, too. But the entire team was like that. It's unfortunate that it's most visible when a goalie has a bad day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad