GDT: Quarterfinal - February 21 - Sweden (3) vs Germany (4) OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjornee

Feb 9, 2014
Sweden
For the first time ever not a swedish team dont win the Champions Hockey League and now this. Crappy year for swedehockey. Swedes had their Cor D team but Germany was real good o thought. Congrats!

Yeah and that WC gold last year was pure luck right?

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Well well well, Germany advances. What a shock. Congrats to Prussia und Unter-Saxen!

Zaar

Feb 5, 2017
Germany
Even though todays result was great for german hockey (and hockey fans), I don't think it will start a hype over here. And to be honest, I think a bronze medal is the best we can achieve. Some people's dreams of gold are way out of reach.

The reasons, why there will be no hockey boom in germany, are
  1. soccer
  2. soccer
  3. soccer
  4. the costs of playing hockey vs. soccer
  5. soccer
  6. You probably need at least an hour to reach your training rink (if there's any)
  7. and btw ... soccer
Someone in this thread called soccer over here "cancer" and he/she's right. It gets all the broadcasting time. It's cheaper. There's a club around every corner. Every other sports tv representation declined while soccer gets more time in tv every year. Every other sport is slowly degraded into a niche, while even 3rd league soccer is broadcasted live. It's that bad and it will stay that way.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Even though todays result was great for german hockey (and hockey fans), I don't think it will start a hype over here. And to be honest, I think a bronze medal is the best we can achieve. Some people's dreams of gold are way out of reach.

1. soccer
  2. soccer
  3. soccer
  5. soccer
  6. You probably need at least an hour to reach your training rink (if there's any)
  7. and btw ... soccer
Someone in this thread called soccer over here "cancer" and he/she's right. It gets all the broadcasting time. It's cheaper. There's a club around every corner. Every other sports tv representation declined while soccer gets more time in tv every year. Every other sport is slowly degraded into a niche, while even 3rd league soccer is broadcasted live. It's that bad and it will stay that way.

Good post, but I think you should have mentioned the immense position soccer has taken. I assume that sport is as all-important as it is here in Norway when it is not winter. And you have less winter.

It's really excrutiating. Also, I think you should have mentioned soccer.

But I think you are onto something.

Henri M

Dec 12, 2012
LOL. You guys are getting hysterical. Chin up swedes, shit happens. One f*** up every 10 years is no big deal.

Reactions: varsaku

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004

1. soccer
  2. soccer
  3. soccer
  5. soccer
  7. and btw ... soccer
Though I generally agree with your post. there has always been a strong second sport over the years. Back in the day in was tennis (Graf/Becker). then it was formula one and now its biathon.
Others like hockey (forming the DEL with bigger cities than Rosenheim and Landsht) or Handball tried, but in the end failed.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Germany???

wat.gif

Zaar

Feb 5, 2017
Germany
Though I generally agree with your post. there has always been a strong second sport over the years. Back in the day in was tennis (Graf/Becker). then it was formula one and now its biathon.
Others like hockey (forming the DEL with bigger cities than Rosenheim and Landsht) or Handball tried, but in the end failed.

You're right, but these were usually individual sports where one or two athletes were able to make the difference and incite the hype.
I'll enjoy the small glimpse of hockey in the german media spotlight nonetheless and will celebrate the team :)

Reactions: Frannel

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
KHL??? Much KHL-Players disappionted me! Sweden with some Players like Bergstrom,Zackrisson or Omark with key roles in their KHL-Clubs play 2 x vs DEL-Germans. In 2 games i can t see the big different.

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
One bright spot of the NHLless Olympics is you get to see some non-traditional upsets like this!
Hope Canada defeats them, but if not, then hope Germany brings it home!

Would it be Germany's first gold or medal in Olympic Hockey?
Bronze in 1932 and 1976 - that was it!

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen

I'd add ski jumping in the Hannawald days, before biathlon became the darling winter sport, and swimming with van Almsick.

Then again, back when the handball NT was the World Champion, they had a bloody movie and a cool nickname and Germany had already always been doing great at club level handball, PLUS there isn't the same cost and rink availability arguments against it, and it still did not catch on. It's never going to happen for any other team sport.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
I have no reason to be confident in Canada beating Germany since I was pretty scared of facing Sweden and Canada seems offensively challenged.

Not taking anything for granted here.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

1. soccer
  2. soccer
  3. soccer
  5. soccer
  7. and btw ... soccer

Olympic Hockey is tough to handicap but I think the Germans are within easier reach of a silver than a bronze.

They have a half decent chance of beating a Canadian team that really struggles to create offense. A collective spirit and goaltending is what Canada is bringing to the table. Germany have a chance to win.

I won't say the Gold medal is riding on the OAR/Czech game because I believe if Canada gets there they can pull it off with herculean goaltending.

The two best teams left are there though so the loser likely beats Germany for bronze. Germany's best chance is for silver.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017

1. soccer
  2. soccer
  3. soccer
  5. soccer
  7. and btw ... soccer
Yes and regional leagues and regional trophys(Niederrhein,Brandenbrug-Pokal ;) etc.) sometimes broatcasted live ;).

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Yes and regional leagues and regional trophys(Niederrhein,Brandenbrug-Pokal ;) etc.) sometimes broatcasted live ;).

I wonder, if this is much different from what Canada is like in reverse though. I always imagined they'd rather watch some second rate hockey than their highest soccer league there.

Similarly no one in Germany knows World Juniors in hockey is a thing, but many will stay up to see the soccer U17 play in Mexico in the middle of the night.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If it is popular, you'll probably get better eventually. ;)

We’re still waiting. ;)

I actually play more soccer now than hockey.

We have terrible coaching in this country as it’s largely a participation sport as opposed to a competitive one. We have a lot of unqualified coaches (parents).

But we love to watch good teams play :)

Reactions: TorstenFrings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad