• 1- Very low

Votes: 116 18.6%
  • 0- Zero interest

Votes: 317 51.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You still fail to understand that "women can be happy now", that does not make any of the arguments I brought less valid for reasons I already have lined up, but you have ignored.
Pot meet kettle , see ya, have a nice day.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Women are welcome to do whatever they want, But if you want the league to succeed, it isn't going to happen without the support of women and for the most part that has been the case in virtually every sport. Women play and watch sports but for the most part it is men going to games. Not women. And why would men go watch a sport that isn't as good as hockey they can watch for free at their local rink? That's where the women come in and if history tells us anything, they are NOT going to support it.
What is rediculous about pointing out facts?
because a lot of people have been conditioned to think you hate women when you tell it like it is.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Same for you, other than whining, cheers

If questioning if it was necessary to sabotage womens hockey for 4 years, send 2 full teams of womens hockey players into retirement, nuking all franchises and firing all staff is whining then you might as well claim everyone not sharing your opinion is whining, which is absurd.

But yeah lets pretend everything was all rosy and women is happy, which is apparantly all that matters.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Better players does not automatically equate to better hockey. Figured this would be obvious but I guess not

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
NHL players giving even 25% effort level is still such a ridiculously higher level than anything the PWHL can offer
Eh, I've seen plenty of good hockey games even at lower levels when players were committed to giving their everything on the ice, on the other hand I've never seen anything worthwhile come out of a very partial effort at any level.

• Wow
Reactions: deleted user

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Eh, I've seen plenty of good hockey games even at lower levels when players were committed to giving their everything on the ice, on the other hand I've never seen anything worthwhile come out of a very partial effort at any level.

I agree. While the average PWHL team would probably lose to a good boys high school team in Minnesota, that doesn't mean it cant be entertaining to watch for those that are interested.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I agree. While the average PWHL team would probably lose to a good boys high school team in Minnesota, that doesn't mean it cant be entertaining to watch for those that are interested.
They match up with AAA midget boys, they also play some exhibition against juniors in Canada in the past. Win some lose some.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
They match up with AAA midget boys, they also play some exhibition against juniors in Canada in the past. Win some lose some.

The US women's olympic team played a boys team from Warroad, MN (smaller school class "A") and lost 2-1. That was 15 years ago and the women's game has definitely improved since then, but Warroad wasn't all that great of a team compared to the bigger metro schools.

Would be interesting to see them play a Class "AA" HS team like Edina, Minnetonka or Eden Prairie. I think they could probably keep it close.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The US women's olympic team played a boys team from Warroad, MN (smaller school class "A") and lost 2-1. That was 15 years ago and the women's game has definitely improved since then, but Warroad wasn't all that great of a team compared to the bigger metro schools.

Would be interesting to see them play a Class "AA" HS team like Edina, Minnetonka or Eden Prairie. I think they could probably keep it close.
Weird US teams play A teams and the Canadian women play AAA teams or higher.

The Canadian women went a combined 58-46-5 against triple-A clubs ahead of the 2006, 2010, 2014 and 2018 Winter Games.

Junior A games
Canada played Junior A opponents three times before this winter. Goaltender Shannon Szabados made 52 saves in Canada's 3-2 win over the AJHL's Calgary Canucks on Dec. 5, 2009.

Canada split a pair of Maritime Junior Hockey League games in September of 2019, when the women lost 4-2 to the Valley Wildcats and downed the Pictou County Crushers 4-1.

Reactions: Dessloch

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
The Canadian Women's Olympic team has trained by playing against Alberta U18AAA teams. My son played against them and as 17 year olds the ladies peformed very well. During the 2017-18 season they went 10-4-4. Here is the picture after they beat the Canadian Athletic Club in Edmonton 6-2.

20171122_212259.jpg

I have a fond recollection of the women, their game. And their game will get better with more support. It isn't the men's game. It's different, but so is all women sport a little different. But enjoy top competition for what it is.

Scoripo Rising

Oct 31, 2023
Why would this league with all the best players in the world including USA and Canada national team players and massive PR along with NHL support fail when the previous league NWHL/PHF did just fine without the PWHPA USA/CANADA national team players, the NHLs support and a massive PR campaign behind it? Let alone womens sports have exploded lately, especially womens soccer!

I will be awaiting your reply!
Maybe you're right, I haven't followed any women's league in any sport. If it previously worked then great.

It's not good hockey though...

Reactions: paulmm3

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
does anyone know what attendance/tv viewership was for the previous version if this league? (which i had never heard of until this thread... which likely means that the new owners are marketing harder)

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
It’s better than before, now that they’ve added hitting.

I've always wondered why they didn't allow hitting in previous incarnations of women's professional hockey, and why its still not allowed in international competition?

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
does anyone know what attendance/tv viewership was for the previous version if this league? (which i had never heard of until this thread... which likely means that the new owners are marketing harder)
Here are the average attendance numbers from 2018-19 for the NWHL which became the PHF

Through 10 games of the PWHL they have over 50K

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Here are the average attendance numbers from 2018-19 for the NWHL which became the PHF

Through 10 games of the PWHL they have over 50K

Nice start,
Wonder why Toronto chose to play out of a 2600 seat arena, that’s half the average per game so far.

Reactions: Dingo

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Nice start,
Wonder why Toronto chose to play out of a 2600 seat arena, that’s half the average per game so far.
I don't know about Toronto, I know that Montréal is splitting games between Verdun which has about 4,000 capacity and Laval which has approximately 10,000 capacity

Reactions: Dingo

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Ya Ottawa is about 8300
Minnesota plays where the Wild play, so that’s about 18k

That leaves New York and Boston I think

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Nice start,
TOR was apparently more motivated to declare sellouts than maximize attendance. That franchise is the poster child of PWHL "success" at this point, so maybe Mattamy was a smart choice.

Reactions: Voight

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Ya Ottawa is about 8300
Minnesota plays where the Wild play, so that’s about 18k

That leaves New York and Boston I think
PWHL New York primarily Total Mortgage Arena in Bridgeport (10k), with some play at UBS Arena (17k+). PWHL Boston playing at Tsongas Center-UMass Lowell (6,500). The larger arenas will likely be limiting PWHL seating assignments for cost & logistics, so don't assume the women will at some point be drawing the arenas' published max capacities.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Did Kennedy take 100 MG of Adderall before he wrote that? It reads like the Unabomber’s manifesto.

I can’t believe people fell for the Saudi bluff. at least half of these players are gay and you really think they are going to live in Dubai?

Business is cuttthroat and people will always be trampled on in big acquisitions. It’s how the Western world works, for better or worse.
Source?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad