OT: PWHL: Ottawa Alert

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I might start watching more PWHL, maybe the Sens needs to watch the women play, they might learn a thing or two Lol

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I'm impressed by this team. They have dominated the play thoroughly in the first two games with three good scoring lines - and Jenner hasn't really gotten going yet. Really like the Watts/Shiga 3rd line. Watts has a fantastic snapshot, she will score many this year with that release. Having her on the 3rd line reminds me of Havlat being on the 3rd line 20 years ago, or Kessel in Pittsburgh's Cup runs.

I think a lot of male fans will be impressed with how physical the game is. There have been some big hits in the few games I've seen and there is a lot of good grinding along the walls. Definitely different to international women's hockey, which is what most people will only have seen (myself included).

I really like that they built this team with some international flavour. Two from Czechia, one from Japan, Hungary, Germany. For reference Toronto doesn't have anyone outside North America. There's a European market to tap into, so hopefully the trend continues.

SensCaper

Jan 12, 2019
Ottawa playing Minnesota right now. 10 minutes in and Ottawa is leading 1-0. Make that 2-0 - they just scored on a power-play. I thought Ottawa was clearly the better team when they played Montreal and Toronto. Despite the score, Minnesota looks like they are as good as Ottawa.
Of course TSN decided to cover the Toronto - Boston game. So you have to get this game by streaming on TSN+.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Ottawa playing Minnesota right now. 10 minutes in and Ottawa is leading 1-0. Make that 2-0 - they just scored on a power-play. I thought Ottawa was clearly the better team when they played Montreal and Toronto. Despite the score, Minnesota looks like they are as good as Ottawa.
Of course TSN decided to cover the Toronto - Boston game. So you have to get this game by streaming on TSN+.
I couldn’t find it on TSN+ but it’s on YouTube

Reactions: Flamingo

SensCaper

Jan 12, 2019
Minnesota wins in overtime (3-2) on a shot that deflects off a defenders stick. Tough loss.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Minnesota wins in overtime (3-2) on a shot that deflects off a defenders stick. Tough loss.
Ottawa looked pretty even with Minny, and was the better team in the 3rd. Not bad, Minny's at the top of the standings. And don't forget, Ottawa has games in hand because of the Boston game rescheduling, and has lost two it should have won. Wait, which Ottawa team am I talking about?

Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Ottawa looked pretty even with Minny, and was the better team in the 3rd. Not bad, Minny's at the top of the standings. And don't forget, Ottawa has games in hand because of the Boston game rescheduling, and has lost two it should have won. Wait, which Ottawa team am I talking about?
Two OT losses for points, tight games, can’t be the Senators!

Reactions: Flamingo

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Serously, though, Ottawa looks like the class of the PW.

So maybe my perpetual frustration at the sports gods' caprice is really just my preternatural homer bias.

But really, Ottawa looks sooo good at 5-on-5.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
@Flamingo

hey Flame,

1) what is the agreement on the arena? Are they simply renters? or is there a business arrangement that involves ownership?

the reason I ask is: seeing the 67's logo at center ice is poor... It should be PWHL or Ottawa PWHL.. Is there a chance that their logo gets added in a prominent way..

2) how much do you think it costs to remove and reapply ice?

I keep wondering if the PWHL should pay to have new ice put in, with their logo added.. so you leave the 67's and all the other 5 arena logos, but add yours somewhere prominent

3) they need to hit the government up for some cash and re-paint the boards.. puck marks make it look like "junior hockey".. They need to re-paint once a month... so, they would need 6 or more copies of each stick on advertising and the staff and the special paint.. it would cost a few bucks.

Presentation is everything.... It is the one area that I think Gary Bettman beats all Commissioners in.. He know how to present.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
@Flamingo

hey Flame,

1) what is the agreement on the arena? Are they simply renters? or is there a business arrangement that involves ownership?

the reason I ask is: seeing the 67's logo at center ice is poor... It should be PWHL or Ottawa PWHL.. Is there a chance that their logo gets added in a prominent way..

2) how much do you think it costs to remove and reapply ice?

I keep wondering if the PWHL should pay to have new ice put in, with their logo added.. so you leave the 67's and all the other 5 arena logos, but add yours somewhere prominent

3) they need to hit the government up for some cash and re-paint the boards.. puck marks make it look like "junior hockey".. They need to re-paint once a month... so, they would need 6 or more copies of each stick on advertising and the staff and the special paint.. it would cost a few bucks.

Presentation is everything.... It is the one area that I think Gary Bettman beats all Commissioners in.. He know how to present.
Beech, I don't know anything about the bizzznezzzz side of the team. I agree, they should play on an ice surface with their crest under center ice. They don't have a crest yet, and this season was started as a rush. I hope they get that all sorted for next season.

And clean boards? I think advertisers will take care of that. Whether they're painted on, or added by the broadcast, they'd want a clean palette. Hopefully the Alerts and 67s, being two tenants of the same facility, raise the profile and condition of TD Place arena.

Reactions: Cosmix

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
First home win! Somehow outshot by Toronto, who must have made some adjustments after looking terribly uncoordinated their first few games. I only caught a minute here and a minute there, will have to watch the highlights.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
PWHL are just tenants in that building, whereas the 67's are owned by the group (OSEG) that manages the building. Zero chance that they are getting their logo at centre ice, unfortunately. You literally have to melt the ice to apply and reapply those logos, and painting them is a very painstaking process.

SensCaper

Jan 12, 2019
Boston wins 3-2, scoring with 2 minutes to go. Only watched the third period, but thought Ottawa was the better team (more scoring chances).

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
Boston wins 3-2, scoring with 2 minutes to go. Only watched the third period, but thought Ottawa was the better team (more scoring chances).
We sucked in the first, had a great second and a good third. Shit turnover right at the end, you got to be playing up the boards in the last minute or so, no high-risk passing through the center of the ice in your zone.

Ottawa is a good team, and they don't really have anything in the way of star power either, so we can hopefully stay consistent as we don't rely on any one player or line.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
We sucked in the first, had a great second and a good third. Shit turnover right at the end, you got to be playing up the boards in the last minute or so, no high-risk passing through the center of the ice in your zone.

Ottawa is a good team, and they don't really have anything in the way of star power either, so we can hopefully stay consistent as we don't rely on any one player or line.

Surprised they put Harmon right back out there after the turnover.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
God, that was an awful turnover. Looked like the kind of pass guys try to make in our oldtimers league. I think I get why it happened, though - there is a renewed emphasis in hockey now on making skilled plays and in not just banging it off the glass and out. In the NHL, of course, coaches are going to drill players hard on always making the safe play, but at any level that isn't the NHL, men or women, it doesn't surprise me that someone didn't give a second thought to making a high risk play late in a tie game. Hey, if it works, they are off to the races with numbers, and maybe score the winner themselves...

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
trade proposal
2024 first round pick for Renata Fast from Toronto
she is 29, so has 3 more good years. A right handed Dwomen and speed to burn. It will give the team 3 righties

Sadly, age (33) and giving birth, may have finished Natalie Spooner.. She looks lumbering out there. This league is 3-4 years too late for her..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad