OT: Puns n' COSes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Whenever I point out that I'd like to go to the country with most of my heritage, I'm generally met with a lot of backhanded "Suuuuure you do" comments. My heritage is mostly Dutch and I have extended family in Amsterdam....

We can go together. There's a whole district known as Kennemerland in Haarlem. Guess my maiden name? Hint. It isn't "land"

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
We can go together. There's a whole district known as Kennemerland in Haarlem. Guess my maiden name? Hint. It isn't "land"
Very nice. I'm gonna reach and go with Kennemer? My last name is Smith but it was originally, well, the common Dutch version of it.

Last edited:

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I am in the early planning stages of a trip to Germany to visit the places my ancestors lived in. Anyone care to join me? :)

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Very nice. I'm gonna reach and go with Kennemer? My last name is Smith but it was originally, well, the common Dutch version of it.

Kennemur, actually--the story is there were three brothers who came to America and had 3 different spellings assigned. Original Kennemer tribe was a bunch of warmongers who were quite vicious and and couldn't get along with anyone including each other and were tenacious to a fault. I like to think that maybe the Calvin influence on the other side tempered the stubbornness some for me, but Mr. Admiral would probably shake his head no on that one.

I looked up the different ways Smith is written in different languages trying to figure out what your original Dutch name would have been. I was surprised to find that Fabbro is the Italian version and that Favre is also a version (French).

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Heh. If I ignore half of my last name, I can claim similar dominion over the Baseball Hall Of Fame.

Too bad I still don't care about baseball. :D

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Heh. If I ignore half of my last name, I can claim similar dominion over the Baseball Hall Of Fame.

Too bad I still don't care about baseball. :D

Actually, the pre hyphen portion of your last name (I'm going by your Twitter name) is the same surname as my Grandma's was. She wasn't married to him long I don't think, and I never knew him, but he was her last husband so that's the name I knew her by.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I looked up the different ways Smith is written in different languages trying to figure out what your original Dutch name would have been. I was surprised to find that Fabbro is the Italian version and that Favre is also a version (French).
Well according to the resident ancestry researcher of our family, it was originally Smit, but when they came over to the States they just went all English and assimilated with Smith.

PS: Fabbro and Favre? Really?

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Well according to the resident ancestry researcher of our family, it was originally Smit, but when they came over to the States they just went all English and assimilated with Smith.

PS: Fabbro and Favre? Really?

I know!!! And Ferrara and Herrera. I had no clue!

Edit: After some thought, I get it. Ferro = Iron (Latin). They were iron workers, hence they were "Smith's"

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Actually, the pre hyphen portion of your last name (I'm going by your Twitter name) is the same surname as my Grandma's was. She wasn't married to him long I don't think, and I never knew him, but he was her last husband so that's the name I knew her by.

Given that the marriage of my grandmother from the middle Tennessee area is where that part of the last name comes from, this is a really bizarre coincidence. (In my case, tho, they're still married and still here.)

If said last husband came from New York, then I think we'd officially be in the Twilight Zone. ;)

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Given that the marriage of my grandmother from the middle Tennessee area is where that part of the last name comes from, this is a really bizarre coincidence. (In my case, tho, they're still married and still here.)

If said last husband came from New York, then I think we'd officially be in the Twilight Zone. ;)

NY is as good a guess as any. Grandma was from West Virginia. She moved to Nashville after I was born and decided she was divorced--she was just separated, though. Poor Tony may have awakened and Grandma'd just left to go see Baby Adz never to return or maybe they were already separated but their divorce wasn't finalized for 9 more years. My Grandma was pretty unconventional. :laugh: I don't THINK the two are related, but you never know.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Small victory in MS:

Hiked the hell hill with one stop for breathe. 1/2 a mile, but incline increase of 125ft.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Just saw this for those who work downtown.

ndp-homepage2017-square.jpg

http://www.nashvilledowntown.com/work/downtown-employee-appreciation-week

Discounts/Freebies said:
PAPER CLIP PRIVILEGES
In order to take advantage of these perks, please fasten a paper clip to your collar, lapel or pocket to receive giveaways and discounts. Work ID cards and business cards are also acceptable. Offers are good Monday, September 18 - Friday, September 22 unless otherwise specified.

Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum
222 5th Avenue South
615-291-6759 / countrymusichalloffame.org
During Employee Appreciation Week: Downtown Nashville employees are invited to enjoy a signature pimento cheese dip appetizer free with the purchase of two entrees at 2|22, located inside the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. Open Monday-Saturday, 11 am - 2 pm.

Big Machine Store
122 3rd Avenue South
615-345-4539 / musichasvalue.com
20% off on all Music Has Value items (store open on Friday, Saturday and Sunday ONLY)

Barry's Bootcamp
308 11th Avenue South
615-457-1571 / barrysbootcamp.com/studio/nashville
Receive 15% off a 5-class pack (5-pack is $110, and with discount will be $93.50!) Also, if you have not been to Barry's before, enjoy a FREE introductory class! Call the front desk or email [email protected] with questions.

Bliss in BodyWorks
700 Church Street, #905
615-495-5808 / blissinbodyworks.com
Receive 15% off of a massage session if you book between September 25-29!

Blue Coast Burrito
500 Church Street
615-748-3003 / bluecoastburrito.com/
Buy an adult entree and get a FREE combo. (Combo includes a fountain drink, tortilla chips and fresh salsa bar).
**alcohol not included, cannot combine discounts

Blush Boutique
144 5th Avenue North
615-770-0068 / blushboutiques.com
20% off of one item during the week. Must show business card from a downtown place of business.

Body and Sole
301 Church Street
615-438-7477 / bodyandsoletn.com
$5 off any massage during the week

Cafe Lula at The Ryman
116 5th Avenue North
615-458-8700 / cafelula.com
20% off at Cafe Lula (excludes alcohol)

Cerveza Jack's
135 2nd Avenue North
615-942-7733
Half off lunch!

Dabble Studio
330 Harrison Street
615-678-8784 / dabblestudio.com
BOGO! With every paid registration for a public painting class, bring a friend FREE to Dabble Studio during October! Go to www.dabblestudio.com and register on our Look-and-Book Calendar by October 14. At checkout, use the code DOWNTOWNPAINT in the discount/coupon field, and register two people for the price of one! (Cannot be combined with other offers)

Downtown Dental
101 Union Street
615-254-1393 / downtowndentalnashville.com
Free take-home bleaching trays for downtown employees with a new patient appointment (must be scheduled during the month of September or October). Plus, for those who like instant results, a 50% discount on an in-office Laser Whitening Treatment! (All downtown employees, current AND new patients can take advantage of this offer.) A Laser Whitening Treatment plus a take-home kit for up-keep for $225 (procedure typically costs $450).

Downtown Hair Salon
17 Arcade
615-248-8390
20% off all hair services for appointments booked during Employee Appreciation Week (September 18-22). Complimentary beer, wine and other beverages offered for guests. Open until 6 pm on Thursdays!

Etch
303 Demonbreun Street
615-522-0685 / etchrestaurant.com/
Join us for lunch Monday - Friday and receive a free order of our famous Roasted Cauliflower with the purchase of any lunch entree. Limit one order for every two guests; valid for dine-in only.

Frist Center for the Visual Arts
919 Broadway
615-244-3340 / fristcenter.org
Downtown employees enjoy free admission to the Frist Center during Downtown Employee Appreciation Week. Check in at Visitor Services and display a downtown employer work ID (i.e. badge, ID lanyard, business card) to receive free gallery admission and discounted parking in the Frist Center Visitor Parking Lot during the celebration week. (The Frist Center is open Thursday and Friday evenings until 9:00 p.m. with free music in the Café from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.)

The George Jones
128 2nd Avenue North
615-818-0128 / georgejones.com
Half off lunch and FREE admission to the George Jones Museum

Hatch Show Print, Circa, and the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum Store
222 5th Avenue South
615-291-6759 / countrymusichalloffame.org
During Employee Appreciation Week, Downtown Nashville employees are invited to enjoy 20% off all purchases made between 11 am and 2 pm at Hatch Show Print, Circa, and the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum Store. Please be prepared to show your downtown employer work ID or business card to receive this discount.

Jackalope Brewing Co.
701 8th Avenue South
615-873-4313 / jackalopebrew.com
10% off everything in the taproom from 9/18 - 9/22

The Melting Pot
166 2nd Avenue North
615-742-4970 / meltingpot.com
25% discount

Music City Shop
501 Broadway (in the glass tower of Bridgestone Arena)
615-259-4747
10% discount on all full-priced merchandise

Music City Marketplace
150 4th Avenue North, Suite G-250
615-259-4787
15% discount on all full-priced merchandise (excluding Colonel Littleton)

Old Town Trolley Tours of Nashville
201 Broadway (Trolley Stop #1)
Sign up for the Hometown Pass program, and receive a free ticket when you purchase a ticket! Sign up HERE.
After signing up for the program the tickets can be purchased, receiving the second ticket for free at the downtown Nashville ticket booth location at 201 Broadway.

Nashville Predators
501 Broadway
Take a hockey break on Tuesday, September 19th and get the office together for a field trip down to Bridgestone Arena! Don’t miss out on the first pre-season game as the reigning Western Conference Champion Nashville Predators host the Florida Panthers. Puck drops at 3:30PM.
Downtown Employee Appreciation Week offer: $10 Upper Level & $20 Lower & Club Levels are available for the 3:30 game on 9/19 when using promo code HOCKEYDAY at www.nashvillepredators.com/hockeyday

Nashville Sports Massage
1000 Church Street (Downtown YMCA location)
615-500-0993 / nashvillesportsmassage.com/intro
$60 one hour massage (25% off) with complimentary application of heat packs and essential oils. September 12-18.

Puckett's Gro.at 5th & Church
500 Church Street
615-770-2772 / puckettsgrocery.com
1/2 off breakfast entrees all week (available 7 am - 11 am)
Call ahead to place your take-out order!

Rodizio Grill
166 2nd Avenue North
615-730-8358 / rodiziogrill.com
15% off at lunch (open for lunch and brunch Thursday - Sunday)
20% off at dinner

Ryman Auditorium
116 5th Avenue North
615-458-8700 / ryman.com
Come Tour the Ryman! Downtown employees will receive a complimentary self-guided tour including the Soul of Nashville digital media experience. Also receive 10% off gift shop items (excludes media) Enjoy 20% off in Cafe Lula by showing a business card, nametag or ID from a downtown business (not valid on alcohol).

Salon J and Day Spa
315 Deaderick Street
615-242-2343 / salonj.com
The following services will be complimentary Monday - Thursday between 11 am - 2 pm: nail buffing, nail polish change, brow/lip/nose waxing; first come, first served. Appointments are welcome. 20% off all hair services.

Southernaire Market
150 3rd Avenue South
615-490-8077 / southernairemarket.com
10% discount on food and beverages (alcohol not included)

Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame
501 Broadway
615-242-4750 / tshf.net
Free admission to any downtown employee that would like to visit the Hall during Downtown Employee Appreciation Week. The Hall is open Tuesday - Saturday, 10 am - 5 pm.

Tin Roof Broadway
316 Broadway
615-242-4446 / tinroofbars.com
15% off every day and any time during the week!

Tinney Contemporary
237 5th Avenue North
615-255-7816 / tinneycomtemporary.com
During the week, Tinney Contemporary is offering a limited number of complimentary art consultations for downtown employees looking to add investment grade original art to their home or business. Contact Sarah Wilson, [email protected] to schedule an appointment.

Trattoria II Mulino
144 5th Avenue South
615-620-3700 / trattoriailmulinonashville.com
10% off food purchases and complimentary valet!

The Valentine
312 Broadway
615-347-9701 / thevalentine.com
Happy hour specials all day for downtown employees! (Monday - Friday, 11 am - 8 pm)
$3 domestics
$5 well cocktails
1/2 off appetizers

War Memorial Auditorium
301 6th Ave N
615-782-4030
Downtown employees are invited to experience the new Nashville House Concerts series at the historic War Memorial Auditorium on the first Thursday of every month. SiriusXM radio personality Storme Warren and Country artist Joe Denim co-host this unique Nashville experience each month in their make-shift living room, featuring a diverse blend of talent from chart-topping artists, music legends, rising stars and accomplished songwriters. Every show promises musical performances, imaginative interviews, and unpredictable fun. Downtown Employee Appreciation Week offer: 20% off all Nashville House Concerts shows during the 2017-2018 season when using promo code EMPLOYEE at https://www.wmarocks.com/promo/employee

Lyft Ride Discounts
We've partnered with Lyft Nashville to offer exclusive ride discounts during the 8th Annual Downtown Employee Appreciation Week! Save 10% on three rides the week of 9/18 with code NASHDT17.

Daily Events said:
Monday, September 18

Soak Away Your Monday Blues
The Bubblery Nashville
28 Arcade
2 pm - 3 pm

End your day with a stress-relieving treat from The Bubblery! Visit the store between 2 pm and 3 pm and receive a complimentary bath bomb.* Made in the heart of Music City.

*One per person. While quantities last.

Tuesday, September 19

Fresh and Local at the Nashville Farmers' Market
900 Rosa L. Parks Blvd (OUTSIDE in Farm Shed 1)
11:30 am - 1 pm

Join downtown coworkers at the Nashville Farmers' Market and fill up a complimentary bag of freshly harvested produce.* Enjoy live music while bagging your veggies. Then eat lunch at one of the eighteen restaurants inside the Market House and shop with any of the farmers, artisans and merchants inside and outside. It is very easy to get there ... just hop on the Music City Circuit Blue Line for a FREE round trip ride or check out a Nashville B-cycle!

*While supplies last. One bag per person!

Tasty Tuesday: Praline Party at Savannah's Candy Kitchen!
310 Broadway
2 pm - 3 pm

All downtown employees who stop by the Broadway store will receive a complimentary praline!

Wednesday, September 20

Nashville's Largest Coffee Break
9:30 am - 10:30 am
at participating coffee shops only

There's something brewing downtown! Stop by any of these participating coffee shops for a free cup of coffee during this downtown-wide coffee break. Join your co-workers for a mid-morning boost. Fresh brew just for you!

417 Union Restaurant & Bar - 417 Union Street
Butter Cake Babe's Coffee Cafe - 900 Rosa L Parks Blvd.
Dunkin' Donuts (Music City Central Transit Hub) - 400 Charlotte Avenue
Dunkin' Donuts (Music City Center) - 321 5th Avenue South
Dunn Bros. Coffee - 401 Church Street, Ste. 100
Frothy Monkey - 235 5th Avenue North
Killebrew (Thompson Hotel) - 401 11th Avenue South
Provence Breads & Cafe - 601 Church Street
Tin Cup Coffee - 138 Rosa L Parks Blvd.

Note: Staff at each location will let you know their specific offering. Coffee choices/sizes may vary from location to location.

Corporate Tug of War
Walk of Fame Park
121 4th Avenue South
Noon - 1 pm

Bring your coworkers to Walk of Fame Park to watch corporate teams vie for the title of Downtown Nashville's Tug of War Champion! This event will be sure to entertain. The winning company scores a catered lunch from a downtown restaurant of their choice and "Office Bragging Rights."

NOTE: No cleats.

Thursday, September 21

Photo Booth Fun!
Fifth Third Plaza
424 Church Street
11:30 am - 1:30 pm

Come show your love of working downtown at a downtown-themed photo booth! Choose from various downtown props and backgrounds and have your picture made alone or with a group at a selfie station. Your photos can instantly post in real time to Facebook, Twitter and even Pinterest! Photos can also be emailed and texted directly from the station to your personal email account and phone. Bring your friends and co-workers and have a photo-tastic time. Optional: wear your corporate-branded attire to have a great workplace memento and team photo.

Friday, September 22

Preds Lunch Break!
Bridgestone Arena Plaza
501 Broadway
12 pm - 2 pm

Celebrate the end of the work week with the Nashville Predators at Bridgestone Arena! The Nashville Predators will host a "Lunch Break" from noon - 2 pm to celebrate fellow downtown employees and the beginning of the Preds 2017-2018 season. Come on down for music, games, free giveaways and lunch (for purchase) from local food trucks! Wendy's will also be onsite with FREE frostys (while supplies last)!

Foodie Friday
Downtown Nashville
All Day

Get out of the office and eat at one of the 245 downtown restaurants. Visit the Discounts and Freebies page to see specials that will be offered on this day and throughout the week.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I watched the first couple of years, mainly to see how they pictured our city. My sister still watches and loves it.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Frustration is when you are essentially forced to reset Windows because of a system error, and as a result you realize you've just wiped out the last four to six years of e-mails to your primary account.

(cries)

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Off topic. I had a phone interview for a job in San Diego today and aside from not living there for a potential in-person second interview, I'd say it went really well. It was supposed to last 20 minutes but went about 45. Fingers crossed that somehow things can work out.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Frustration is when you are essentially forced to reset Windows because of a system error, and as a result you realize you've just wiped out the last four to six years of e-mails to your primary account.

(cries)

I'm so sorry!

I'd be devastated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad