OT: Puns n' COSes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It has to leave the body as well. Enjoy!
He was kvetching about looking forward to that all evening yesterday. :laugh:

I'm hypersensitive to capsaicin myself; I walked into that restaurant and had to bail out within 30 seconds or so because my eyes were about ready to explode (a bad thing, as I was driving us back up north). Thankfully there was a sushi place next door. :D

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I would be so miserable if I became allergic to capsaicin. I love the heat (to a point).
Not allergic per se in that (I think) it wouldn't kill me; just hypersensitive. BFC's Fun With Hot Chicken moment is typical of my reaction to something that spicy food aficionados would say barely qualifies as spicy. It hits hard. Something like that hot chicken? I'd probably need prescription painkillers.

And it's only capsaicin. Black pepper is fine. Wasabi on sushi is one of the ways G-d demonstrates how He loves us and wants us to be happy. But capsaicin? Horror and doom.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Well, at least you can have a little spice. Better than nothing.

Only things that affect me like that (just being in close proximity) is tomato vines, Chlorine and animal dander. I'm not "allergic" just sensitive to them.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Not allergic per se in that (I think) it wouldn't kill me; just hypersensitive. BFC's Fun With Hot Chicken moment is typical of my reaction to something that spicy food aficionados would say barely qualifies as spicy. It hits hard. Something like that hot chicken? I'd probably need prescription painkillers.

And it's only capsaicin. Black pepper is fine. Wasabi on sushi is one of the ways G-d demonstrates how He loves us and wants us to be happy. But capsaicin? Horror and doom.

This is me, the slightest spice sets my mouth on fire to the point I'm guzzling tons of water. Probably enough to be classified a daily minimum. And when I say the slightest spice, I mean alot of times "Mild" does that to me.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
This is me, the slightest spice sets my mouth on fire to the point I'm guzzling tons of water. Probably enough to be classified a daily minimum. And when I say the slightest spice, I mean alot of times "Mild" does that to me.
I'm kinda like this. Let's say for example I go out somewhere and I get some chicken wings (in this scenario I'll say boneless "wings" because I don't like sauce on my hands). If I get something even a little bit spicy I'll start sweating some if I eat them right away even though it's fairly mild. But if I take something home and it sits around for 20 or 30 minutes first so the sauce dries a little bit I can go significantly up the spice chart without sweating at all. I feel the heat but my tolerance is much higher in that situation.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
How can you tell if you are allergic to a food?

Oh, wait. I AM allergic to a food. I avoid it so much that I forgot. I can't eat lobster, or maybe I couldn't eat A lobster because I haven't tried it again. I can eat other shellfish so I have to wonder exactly what I reacted to.

What happened was I started getting hives. I thought they were mosquito bites and I was itching so bad I could barely stand it. I got into the bathtub and had trouble getting out and getting dressed again. I couldn't even tie my own shoes. Then it affected my throat and I went into anaphylactic shock. The room started spinning. We were in Chicago at the time for a transplant conference so Mike called a taxi to take us to the hospital. I remember coming down on the elevator and my being crumpled in a heap at his feet. I'm sure people thought I was drunk til they looked at me and saw I was covered in red wheals. Things got really dim. The way the hotel was set up you'd ride the elevators to the second floor then ride the escalator down to the lobby. By the time I got there everything looked milky, like you were in a sauna or something. Mike had to hold me tight to get me down the escalator--I was terrified. We got to the doorway and there was a taxi there--people were still in it and were annoyed that Mike was pushing them out of the way til they looked at me. They hightailed it. At this point I was going in and out of consciousness but took enough time to tell Mike I loved him and to take care of the baby (Jailbait was around 4 months old). Got in the taxi and (now this is where it gets all metaphysical and stuff) there was a choice given to me in my brain to end or come back. And I decided my baby needed me. So I started taking deep breaths and slowly the world stopped being milky and I was tired but could focus.

That was when I started telling the taxi driver how to drive in a city I'd never been in before--and Mike knew I was going to be okay.

Got to the hospital and they pumped me up full of epinephrine and told me to never NEVER go anywhere without Benadryl somewhere nearby.

I think these results were unusual.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN

Of course you know water is about the worst thing you can drink while eating spicy foods, right? :D

In case you or anyone else really didn't know, milk or any dairy will help. Sour cream, ice cream, yogurt, cheese, or butter will all help. https://thesecretyumiverse.wonderhowto.com/how-to/9-ways-cool-down-your-burning-hot-mouth-after-eating-really-spicy-foods-0154031/

I still only ever get mild when ordering spicy things, but it takes a lot more for me to feel it anymore.

One time I ate some kind of pepper, I still don't know what kind it actually was, but my mouth was on fire for like an hour after I ate it. You know when you have a bad sunburn and the pain you feel when you scratch it, that's what my mouth felt like after eating that pepper. :laugh:

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Of course you know water is about the worst thing you can drink while eating spicy foods, right? :D

In case you or anyone else really didn't know, milk or any dairy will help. Sour cream, ice cream, yogurt, cheese, or butter will all help. https://thesecretyumiverse.wonderhowto.com/how-to/9-ways-cool-down-your-burning-hot-mouth-after-eating-really-spicy-foods-0154031/

I still only ever get mild when ordering spicy things, but it takes a lot more for me to feel it anymore.

One time I ate some kind of pepper, I still don't know what kind it actually was, but my mouth was on fire for like an hour after I ate it. You know when you have a bad sunburn and the pain you feel when you scratch it, that's what my mouth felt like after eating that pepper. :laugh:

I know that Milk is better, however I’d rather die than drink a glass of milk as I start coughing and kinda get choked on it when I drink it. I actually eat cereal plain without milk, it’s that bad with me. I think that it is a mental thing though after being forced to drink milk everyday as a kid in school.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
so apparently Houston is getting stuff that makes the Nashville flood of 2010 look like a little spring cloudburst.

the rescue stories are amazing... the picture of the people in the nursing home in waist deep water was heartbreaking... fortunately they were all evacuated...

iras obviously of trivial importance at this point but this will obviously disrupt the Astros and Texans seasons for quite a while

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
would watch

21077687_10155366931745709_508980516598338159_n.jpg

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
so apparently Houston is getting stuff that makes the Nashville flood of 2010 look like a little spring cloudburst.

the rescue stories are amazing... the picture of the people in the nursing home in waist deep water was heartbreaking... fortunately they were all evacuated...

iras obviously of trivial importance at this point but this will obviously disrupt the Astros and Texans seasons for quite a while

I'm stuck in NY but the volunteer groups at the college here in NY are activated. All I can do is cheer on and watch the young men and women become the Volunteers and future of tomorrow.

I also want to see how New Orleans and Nashville reacts. I know there is something called the cajun navy sending a flotilla to Houston to help.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I'm stuck in NY but the volunteer groups at the college here in NY are activated. All I can do is cheer on and watch the young men and women become the Volunteers and future of tomorrow.

I also want to see how New Orleans and Nashville reacts. I know there is something called the cajun navy sending a flotilla to Houston to help.

New Orleans better keep their folks home, they are gonna get a lot of Harvey soon

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
For Hallowe'en I am going to dress as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, then go up to everyone I see in a super hero costume and tell them I want to talk to them about the Avenger Initiative.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
For Hallowe'en I am going to dress as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, then go up to everyone I see in a super hero costume and tell them I want to talk to them about the Avenger Initiative.

I wouldn't get it, but I'd listen to you with glazed over eyes and give you candy anyway. Once. Don't be coming around twice, adult costume guy, I remember you.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand

Oh that would be fun to watch but would you approach only Marvel heroes or will you be equal opportunity? :naughty:

Speaking of Marvel, I splurged for a photo op with Stan Lee at the Wizard World Comic Con coming to town next month. Gong to wear my steampunk outfit for the day. :)

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Oh that would be fun to watch but would you approach only Marvel heroes or will you be equal opportunity? :naughty:

Speaking of Marvel, I splurged for a photo op with Stan Lee at the Wizard World Comic Con coming to town next month. Gong to wear my steampunk outfit for the day. :)

I wanted to get one with Stan Lee, but the two times I tried, it was sold out. Biggest splurge I've done photo op wise was this one with the entire cast of Aliens

18198630_10154992013145709_2679495834791201591_n.jpg

RIP Bill Paxton :(

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
We got a check signed by Stan Lee once. It was imprinted, not his ACTUAL signature, but still. :)

(I cashed it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad