Provorov

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Well in a season of futility, Provorov has still managed to shine. Up to Hextall to build around him and set him up to succeed even more

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Well in a season of futility, Provorov has still managed to shine. Up to Hextall to build around him and set him up to succeed even more

Getting a washed up garbage player will do it! That has sadly been Hextall's idea of building outside the draft.

Provy is so fun to watch. The reason the planet hasn't been smashed by an asteroid in a few million years is that Provorov has been bodying them wide.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Provo is just so calm when on the ice. He's young and WILL make mistakes but remember, last year he was thrown to the wolves on a bad defense and forced to be our #1d. That's a tall tale to ask of any rookie. To put it in perspective, Doughty, Ekblad, Hanifin, Jones and a plethora of other young dmen prompted as "future stars" ALL we're sheltered by a true top pairing vet Dman their first few years in the league. Provo had/has no such help on this team. What he's been able to do so far is just amazing

Reactions: hatcher

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
When you really start looking into what he does it is far more impressive than the 'base' underlying stats show.

50% ExGF and 2.33 ExGA while facing some of the toughest minutes of ANY NHL defenseman (41% ZSR and arguably top 25 toughest QoC of any NHL Dman.)

And also pacing for close to 40 points...

Plus:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It won't happen but I wish they would scale back his minutes a little. I don't think any defenseman (minus a handful) should be playing 25+ a night in the regular season unless it comes with a boatload of PP time which isn't the case here. He's obviously great defensively and that's why he is the go to guy for Hak but they are trying to make him Drew Doughty and he's just not at that level.

Reactions: whitstifier

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Provorov is in such insane condition I'm not sure the minutes effect him, have you ever seen him look winded?

He's still a work in progress, too many bad turnovers, especially in the D-zone, his shot could use some work, etc. I mean he's 20 years old, should have it together by now! :sarcasm:

What's really impressive is how he's gradually become more aggressive on offense, to the point that he was consistently attacking the Buffalo goal, yet I have to struggle to remember the last time he made a bad turnover with no one behind him leading to a breakaway or got caught up ice. It's like THE MACHINE had to process its AI function, analyze attack strategy, and is now in optimal attack mode.

I don't think there's anyone I'd trade Provorov for, maybe McDavid, but even then I'm not sure - his upside is as high as any defenseman in the NHL.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
When you really start looking into what he does it is far more impressive than the 'base' underlying stats show.

50% ExGF and 2.33 ExGA while facing some of the toughest minutes of ANY NHL defenseman (41% ZSR and arguably top 25 toughest QoC of any NHL Dman.)

And also pacing for close to 40 points...

Plus:

All while playing with dead-weight partners for his entire NHL career.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Out of the 102 minutes Ghost and Provy played together how minor it came in the last few minute when we have goalie pulled and pedal to the medal with all our best players out? I like putting them together in those situation when we need to push the pace but don’t think it’s a great pairing for 20+ min a game

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Out of the 102 minutes Ghost and Provy played together how minor it came in the last few minute when we have goalie pulled and pedal to the medal with all our best players out? I like putting them together in those situation when we need to push the pace but don’t think it’s a great pairing for 20+ min a game

The stats are 5v5 based, not ES. So a 6v5 situation wouldn’t factor into them.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
The stats are 5v5 based, not ES. So a 6v5 situation wouldn’t factor into them.

I always thought that advanced stats didn’t take into factor when the goalie was pulled. I member last year their was a argument because 2 of Couts EN goals (one va MTL and can’t think of other one) counted as ES. Regardless I would assume when Provy and Ghost are paired together the flyers are in some type of score mode and the likes of PEB VDV Weise etc weren’t on the ice

Edit those were EN goals when the other goalie was pulled. Don’t know if that was the issue

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
6v5 EN situations count for ES statistics. That's why most use 5v5 stats.

Provy and Ghost played 1 game together and were great. The rest of the minutes are late game trailing situations as mentioned and overlapping shifts due to line changes- 1st and 2nd pair, it'll happen quite often throughout a game and it adds up over a season.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I always thought that advanced stats didn’t take into factor when the goalie was pulled. I member last year their was a argument because 2 of Couts EN goals (one va MTL and can’t think of other one) counted as ES. Regardless I would assume when Provy and Ghost are paired together the flyers are in some type of score mode and the likes of PEB VDV Weise etc weren’t on the ice

Edit those were EN goals when the other goalie was pulled. Don’t know if that was the issue

A 6v5 situation would fall under ES just like 5v5, 4v4, or 3v3. People use 5v5 for advanced stats because the game is mostly played under that situation & it removes certain circumstances which could be more favorable or unfavorable outcomes that can skew the ES stats.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Provorov's interview to SovSport. ru translated in work environment with limited time to edit and proof read. :cool:

Ivan Provorov: "I would not want to talk about the Olympic Games since I am not going to be there."
Sovsport.ru interview by Nataliya Bragilevskaya 12/21/2017
Q: Flyers season is somewhat inconsistent. You had 10 losses in a row followed by a streak of 6 wins. What are the reasons?
A: I don’t even know. We lost 10 in a row perhaps due to a lack of luck, at times we had not played well or our opponents were much stronger.
But we had gotten ourselves together, and played well on the Western Canada 3game trip. We gained confidence there, and really improved our situation upon our return home.
Q: Perhaps, time zone differential helped?
A: Most likely, environmental changes helped. We spent a few days in Calgary, and it helped to reset ourselves.
Q: Philadelphia media often writes positive review about your play, but rarely focuses on you as a person. Is it upsetting to be an invisible hero?
A: I would not say that I am invisible. Yes, I am not getting a point per game yet, but everything has it’s time. One day I will be there .
Q: On contrary, I was complimenting you. That speaks volume about your reliable play.
A: I understand. But lack of media attention is not going to affect me or my game.
Q: DO you miss Russian speaking team mates?
A: Of course, I do! It was really nice last year. Lyubimov and I spent a lot of time together off the ice, especially during trips. How do I compensate? I talk a lot with my Russian friends over the phone.
Q: What are you expecting from Santa?
A: More goals
Q: First time ever NHL players will have 3 days Christmas break. How will you spend this time?
A: I will make a trip to Scranton were I started in juniors.
Q: And then a Florida trip
A: Yea. I will meet up with my friends from Tampa- Sergachev, Kucherov, and Namestnikov
Q: Is not it strange to play hockey were palm trees are growing?
A: My friends are not complaining. It’s wonderful to go on a trip in shorts (Laughs)
Q: You have always wanted to play in the NHL. But Olympic gold is also a great dream, but the league will not let you play.
A: I have always wanted to play in Olympics. But, it’s out of my control. Had I had an opportunity, I would have liked to play for the gold.
Q: So, is the NHL right by not letting the players go?
A: I would not want to speak about that. I also will not answer a question if I would play in a neutral uniform for Russia. I am not going to fantasize since I am not going.
Q: Then another question. Had you not become a hockey player, what other sport would you have picked?
A: This is difficult. Hockey has always been my favorite sport . I have lived and breathed it since I was 5 when I got my first skates. I have never thought of other sports. But if I had to choose- perhaps, basketball? I like it a lot, but hockey is my life. I have wanted to be a pro from childhood, and I worked hard toward that goal.
Q: Do you go to the basketball games in Philadelphia?
A: Yes. I see the progress, they play much better than the last season.
Q: Are you interested in American football?
A: I go to the games, but it’s somewhat boring to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lotusflower

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Was curling a bad example? :)
How about this:

gorodki.gif

T I T

Reactions: Striiker

Ad

Upcoming events