Blue Jays Discussion: Prospects getting the call! Jansen, Reid-Foley up to the show

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist, but I just noticed that Johnny Aiello (a pick of ours that I liked) has not played since July 6th and isn't on the disabled list for Bluefield.

That's not really the strange part though. The strange part is the link to his Twitter no longer works and his page has completely disappeared. Could it possibly have been a Trea Turner/Josh Hader situation that's being kept under wraps?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Too bad I passed out around the 5th inning not to see Borucky's 1st win. He was so locked in.

And why are they playing a night game today?
This is the last weekend before the kiddies go back to school so thought I’d grill and watch/listen to the game and play in the pool.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
For some sick reason there are year round public schools in Canada.

Don't t sleep on that idea. There is one around here and they get a bunch of two week vacations, with the best one being in mid October.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
WARNING: the following contains a small sample size

Forrest Wall since joining New Hampshire

8/29 with a .320/.379/.520 batting line
2 doubles and a HR (.200 ISO)

The moral of this story, is that in his small amount of time in NH, he has severely decreased his GB% (just 13.3%) and has been hitting more LD and FB (33.% and 53.3%, respectively).

I’m intrigued to see if this is just a small 6 game hot streak or a genuine change in approach to become a three outcome player (a la Cavan Biggio)

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Shots fired from Keith Law in his latest chat lol:

Nolan: What’s your most memorable case of a fan base really sticking it to you for not thinking their fringe prospect was a future star? Junior Lake stands out to me, for some reason.
Keith Law: That was one. Lot from Cubs fans on Brett Jackson, too. Jays fans with Rowdy Tellez.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
or Jays fans with Noah Syndergaard.

poor dumb keith.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
WARNING: the following contains a small sample size

Forrest Wall since joining New Hampshire

8/29 with a .320/.379/.520 batting line
2 doubles and a HR (.200 ISO)

The moral of this story, is that in his small amount of time in NH, he has severely decreased his GB% (just 13.3%) and has been hitting more LD and FB (33.% and 53.3%, respectively).

I’m intrigued to see if this is just a small 6 game hot streak or a genuine change in approach to become a three outcome player (a la Cavan Biggio)

I was listening to the Fisher Cats announcer yesterday, and like you, he said small sample size. He said Wall has shorten his swing a bit and is hitting for harder contact on a regular basis. Also his defense in CF was good according to him.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Forrest Wall was a nice pickup. Here's what he's done when he's been imo age-appropriate or younger for his levels:

Rk (18): .382babip, 136wrc+
A (19): .329babip, 125wrc+
A+ (21): .333babip, 123wrc+
AA (22): .273babip, 90wrc+

a bit of a stumble this year at AA but I think it's probably babip related.

Of course the key here is defense - that offensive track record probably isn't good enough to carry a bad glove. Hopefully he looks better in the outfield than he did in the infield.

Reactions: kb

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Looks like Gabriel Moreno has been promoted to Bluefield. Hasn't played in the GCL for a few days. Also no longer listed on GCL roster and listed on Bluefield roster, albeit without a number. Guy had been raking in GCL with a .413 avg over 23 games.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I also feel like Noda, Spanberger, Large, Chavez Young, Abbadessa, and possibly Kirk should all be promoted soon.

Noda, Spanberger, Large to face more age appropriate competition. And the other guys to be challenged.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Looks like Gabriel Moreno has been promoted to Bluefield. Hasn't played in the GCL for a few days. Also no longer listed on GCL roster and listed on Bluefield roster, albeit without a number. Guy had been raking in GCL with a .413 avg over 23 games.

Good eye. They have a double header today so maybe he gets in the lineup in the second game.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Gotta admit, I wasn't super high on the Grichuk trade, especially after his terrible start. But he's on pace for at least 2WAR now which is an average everyday player. Getting an average everyday player for a fringe prospect and a reliever is good value.

Who knows, he could breakout and become a close to above average regular like Smoak, especially if he shows a bit more discipline, learns to hit better on the road and lefties. Currently, hitting .316/.371/.614 post all star, .823OPS over last 30 games as well.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
WHAT.. First weekend of August and kids start school next week?

Yep. It’s been this way for years. Think about it; High School football starts the week before Labour Day weekend and College football alway starts Labour Day weekend so kids have to be in school.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Alejandro Kirk is good. Not sure he's a catcher long term as he's 5'9 but he has a 46% caught stealing rate. He also hit his 8th home run today in only 40 games. .331/.422/.969 with 23bb to 16so as a 19 year old in Bluefield.

They should really move him up to Vancouver as Gabriel Moreno can replace him in Bluefield.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Gotta admit, I wasn't super high on the Grichuk trade, especially after his terrible start. But he's on pace for at least 2WAR now which is an average everyday player. Getting an average everyday player for a fringe prospect and a reliever is good value.

Who knows, he could breakout and become a close to above average regular like Smoak, especially if he shows a bit more discipline, learns to hit better on the road and lefties. Currently, hitting .316/.371/.614 post all star, .823OPS over last 30 games as well.

I agree.

But there’s always have that caveat of doing it when you’re 20 games out of the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad