Prospects and Marlies Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Corrado.

Imo if any team was willing to give up assets to aquire Percy the leafs would have done it.
Taking a chance on a free wallet is a different story.

Im not surprised Percy moved on.He was a past regime's pick who got caught in a depth purge mainly caused by the claiming of Corrado.I doubt he would have made our top 30 but another team will take a flyer on him and hope.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Im not surprised Percy moved on.He was a past regime's pick who got caught in a depth purge mainly caused by the claiming of Corrado.I doubt he would have made our top 30 but another team will take a flyer on him and hope.
I also believe Percy was not a good pick at that spot. Maybe part of it is looking back but I remember I was pumped when it was our pick and namestnikov was still there and others like Jenner rakell and jurco.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I also believe Percy was not a good pick at that spot. Maybe part of it is looking back but I remember I was pumped when it was our pick and namestnikov was still there and others like Jenner rakell and jurco.

Drafting Stuart Percy wasn't a reach. He was a late riser and expected to go anywhere from 20 to 40.

His injuries and development were his downfall in Toronto.

He was fantastic in his first couple stints at training camp and preseason.

Ed Belfour

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto
Percy looked like a star early on in his callups. I randomly saw two of his games live and he was noticeable just because of his poise with the puck on dump ins and outlet passes..something we sorely lacked at the time.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Percy looked like a star early on in his callups. I randomly saw two of his games live and he was noticeable just because of his poise with the puck on dump ins and outlet passes..something we sorely lacked at the time.

I thought he looked good early on, but it seemed he was like many kids who come to camp at peak level, only to be caught and passed by NHL players who get better as camp progresses and preseason turns into regular season.

The hype machine for him was similar to the Matt Finn hype machine, many loved to ignore the deficiencies.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=68892
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/13066/iss_top30_risers_and_fallers_may2011/
http://www2.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=44972

Perhaps picked slightly early, but not a huge reach. Perhaps considered a safe pick, just not a pick for a homerun.

What Tampa accomplished in 2011?
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00008385.html

Ed Belfour

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto
Yeah I thought he was picked at about the right spot, didn't have much of an issue with it at the time. It's just interesting, now that the Leafs focus has changed to prospect and draft pick hoarding, the fan base has become much more prospect focused as well. The reality is that the vast majority of draft picks don't pan out and eventually they just wash out of a team's system. It happens every day for every team. We all know this, and with our suddenly massive amount of prospects we are going to start seeing it a lot more often in the coming years.

He's not a bad player by any means - he's just not quite good enough.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

the biggest change in the leafs philosophy now is ,they want their good young players to comntribute to a winning team ,
not come up and outplay some aging veterans who could care less ,percy looked great in a terrible system

Leafs4life

Apr 27, 2016
Canada

To the last point Pittsburgh signed him on July 1st

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Ok , lets take Marincin.

We paid a 4th for him as a reclamation and of course, Corrado was free. Percy had no value or Burke would have offered a 5th for him. He had slipped so far off the depth chart that Dermott and Nielson were about to jump him this year.We also just signed Zaitsev. Toronto did him a favour and cut him loose so he could try his luck with another organization.I doubt he will ever be a top 4 Dman so he became very replaceable and didn't progress they way any of us had hoped.There is a new culture in Toronto that demands constant growth or else someone else will eat your lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad