Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread March 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Been thinking...

We'll be moving a few defencemen out this offseason, that's for sure. With Dermott, Nielsen and Desrocher coming up next year, and guys like Lööv, Percy, Harrington, Carrick, Valiev and even Marincin and Corrado all fighting for the bottom 3-4 spots on the main team, plus guys like Campbell and potentially Brennan and Holl taking up spots on the Marlies, we'll need to make some room. Whether this means moving out guys for picks at the draft or coupling a few to add a bigger fish, who knows. We've already shipped out Donaghey in a great trade, so I wouldn't be surprised if we package a Percy or a Lööv with a Lupul/Bozak in the offseason to help get a deal done. Honourable Mention: Nikita Zaitsev is getting close to signing time once CSKA loses (or wins, possibly).

We have the same issue with wingers. Vets like Lupul, Michalek, Greening and maybe Parenteau, Boyes and Grabner if brought back, will all take up spots on the big club that should be going to guys like Leivo, Leipsic, Hyman, Brown, Johnson and Soshnikov. Marner will be making a big push to make the Leafs and I doubt he starts out at Centre. Include the fact that guys like Laich and Holland will also being spending some time on the wing and you begin to wonder where the open playing time will be. I'd also like to see Clune get a chance to play on the 4th line next year, if not just brought back for the Marlies leadership role he is in. Honourable Mention: Jimmy Vesey comes to mind, but so do Cameranesi, Toninato and Piccinich. The Dubas model of using the ECHL might be really tested next year. Oh yeah, and guys like Brandon Tanev and Darcy Murphy are legitimate possibilities.

In Lou, I trust.

What I see, (with the exception of Free Agent Signings, CAUSE THAT'S A THING TOO):

LEAFS:
JVR - Kadri - Komarov
Leipsic - Bozak - Leivo
Michalek - Nylander - Soshnikov
Greening - Laich - Hyman
Clune - Lupul

Hunwick - Rielly (#FreeRielly)
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Marincin - Corrado
Harrington

Bernier
Sparks

MARLIES
Kapanen - Arcobello - Brown
Timashov - Smith - Lindberg
Vesey - Gauthier - Johnson
Cameranesi - Carrick - Murphy
Findlay - Vail - Piccinich (ECHL, mostly)

Percy - Carrick
Campbell - Valiev
Dermott - Nielsen
Desrocher - Holl

Bibeau
Madore

Trade: Holland, Lööv

Release: Grabner, Parenteau, Boyes, Brennan, Stalock, Cowen, B. Smith

Draft Dubois (4th) - Send to QMJHL for a season
Give Marner cup of coffee, ultimately send him down for another year.

Junior/NCAA/Europe
Marner
Dubois
Bracco
Dzierkals
Korostelev
Toninato
N. Vesey
Joshua
Lindgren
Engvall
Other players we draft this year (McAvoy, Hart, etc.)

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The time is coming close to cut bait on Percy and Harrington. 2011 draft picks and 160+ games in the AHL and approx. 20 games in the NHL. If they don't show they are ready now, when will they show it?

Marincin will be cut soon too. We should be fine moving forward if they can't step up in these final AHL OR NHL games/AHL playoffs.

Rielly _______
Gardiner Zaitsev
Hunwick Carrick
Loov Corrado
Valiev Lindgren
Dermott
Nielsen

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Percy, and Carrick would both have to clear waivers, and I don't think they would. I also think they're better options than Marincin, and Corrado, try to put those 2 through waivers, if they don't clear I don't really care, if they do they can have those Marlies spots.

Also I highly highly doubt we'd sign Vesey to put him on the 3rd line in the AHL. People have been saying he might be top 6 good in the NHL right now so wherever he signs I'd have to think it would be with the promise of NHL playing time.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
The time is coming close to cut bait on Percy and Harrington. 2011 draft picks and 160+ games in the AHL and approx. 20 games in the NHL. If they don't show they are ready now, when will they show it?

Marincin will be cut soon too. We should be fine moving forward if they can't step up in these final AHL OR NHL games/AHL playoffs.

Rielly _______
Gardiner Zaitsev
Hunwick Carrick
Loov Corrado
Valiev Lindgren
Dermott
Nielsen

Don't think Harrington has been given a fair chance yet. 15 games with the Leafs and 17 games with the Marlies. Think because it's a new team it's worth giving him a little extra time, could really use his skills if he does work out.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
I've had a few people ask me for one for this new kid, so here it is..

For those of you who miss the fights, I threw a whole whack of clips from different fights in, at the start and end.., but there are also a lot of goal highlights from this season, as well.. Seems to fight more, when he is defending someone else.., or just himself.. I wouldn't classify him as an instigator type.. Maybe in his younger years, though..

Connor Carrick
Defense -- shoots R
Born Apr 13 1994 -- Orland Park, IL
21 yrs. ago
Height 5.10 -- Weight 191

RECENT STATS: (*Up to March 6th 2016)

2015-16 Washington Capitals - NHL
3 Games... 0 Goals... 0 Assists... 0 Points... -2
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2015-16 Hershey Bears - AHL
47 Games... 10 Goals... 16 Assists... 26 Points... +23
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2015-16 Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
4 Games... 0 Goals... 1 Assist... 1 Point... 0

Catch & Release: Connor Carrick 2013-2016 Highlights - TML

Last edited:

Taygb52*

Oh boy
A whole 200 pro gms played...
Well, they're done!
Are you F'ing serious?!?

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Harrington was good just didn't get to play much

Seems to have struggled with health this year. Looked better than Marincin in games he played in the NHL. Not sure he fits Babcock's style to be honest, but not a guy I would give up on easily.

I think Harrington, Percy, and Loov have all looked pretty good in small stints this year and wouldn't be righting any of them off at this point. Problem might be keeping a hold of all of them due to waiver eligibility next year. Would hate to see us lose one or two of them for nothing.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Seems to have struggled with health this year. Looked better than Marincin in games he played in the NHL. Not sure he fits Babcock's style to be honest, but not a guy I would give up on easily.

I think Harrington, Percy, and Loov have all looked pretty good in small stints this year and wouldn't be righting any of them off at this point. Problem might be keeping a hold of all of them due to waiver eligibility next year. Would hate to see us lose one or two of them for nothing.

You trust Leafs management, and their highly prized coach, are better able to make those decisions even when we disagree.

There is likely debate, meaning, not too much to worry about if they identify several of them as Finnished.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010

Oh boy
A whole 200 pro gms played...
Well, they're done!
Are you F'ing serious?!?

You do understand that 150+ AHL games is alot for development. If a prospect is still mediocre at that level by then, then it will be hard for them to perform at a higher level.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Yeah, I would definitely prefer Percy and Harrington over Marincin and Corrado.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
This is the guy, I REALLY want to see play some games....! :nod:

Shut-Out King: Antoine Bibeau 2014-15 Highlights - TML

Don't see an NHL goaltender here too much up and down not consistent.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
I guess you just value my great opinion. I'll take it as a compliment.

Not every pick will end up great though? Timashov still had a really good season despite struggling to adapt to Shawinigan. I've read good things about his game there despite not putting up the points he did in Quebec. I was never high on Dzierkals myself to be honest. He's doing all right as a rookie in the Q.

Bracco has been really good for Kitchener. Marner is dominating. Nielsen is dominating. Dermott has been Erie's #1 defender and they are the best in the OHL. Half of the prospects from last year have been producing at a high level. Why aren't you mentioning those guys? I can only guess.

So harp on the negatives all you want if it makes you feel better.

I see skill but not much grit, when you look at the size of these guy's they look like bugs crossing the TV screen, Marner and Nylander are wingers not centre's we're desperate for them as well as a front end Goaltender. At some point and time they will have to have a Smurf sale they all can't play in the NHL. Bracco?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
You do understand that 150+ AHL games is alot for development. If a prospect is still mediocre at that level by then, then it will be hard for them to perform at a higher level.

Yeah, 5 years post-draft, teams should know what they have. If our 2011 draftees can't make the lineup next fall, some of them will have to go due to attrition. It's just the circle of life for hockey players.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I see skill but not much grit, when you look at the size of these guy's they look like bugs crossing the TV screen, Marner and Nylander are wingers not centre's we're desperate for them as well as a front end Goaltender. At some point and time they will have to have a Smurf sale they all can't play in the NHL. Bracco?

Nylander has been playing centre, so I'll classify him as a centre until Babcock, not you, tells me otherwise. Thanks.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.

Size isn't a precursor of grit.

The whole of Toronto's management see Nylander as a centre. So I guess i'll back their judgement on that one.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Size isn't a precursor of grit.

The whole of Toronto's management see Nylander as a centre. So I guess i'll back their judgement on that one.

I'm sure they would like him to be, don't see the work ethic in him to dominate that position.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I'm sure they would like him to be, don't see the work ethic in him to dominate that position.

I'm not saying I think he will be a dominant and prolific 1C that a lot are hoping for. But I think he's certainly good a good career ahead of him as a centre. Time will tell how he works in the Babcock system. But if he shows the desire to develop that he has done so far, I don't think we'll have any major worries.

He'll also only benefit if we sign Stamkos.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
This isn't a ringing endorsement but I thought Harrington was better than Marincin. I assumed that Harrington got demoted because he was waiver exempt and Marincin wasn't.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

Further to this point, 3 year ELCs define the way NHL orgs should evaluate these prospects. By the time the 3 years have been burned decisions have to be made. Absolutely there can be future NHLers who don't catch on during their ELCs but how many of these guys does an organization want to invest into? Only invest in the best ones, that is going to be a low percentage of the ELCs. An organization that is scouting well will cut loose/trade several servicable AHL bodies after their ELCs expire.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I have no possible idea what metric you could use to say that.

And fact remains is that most evidence we have so far of him is that he will be a centre.

Most first line centres in today's NHL aren't really known for their "grit" either.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Percy, and Carrick would both have to clear waivers, and I don't think they would. I also think they're better options than Marincin, and Corrado, try to put those 2 through waivers, if they don't clear I don't really care, if they do they can have those Marlies spots.

Also I highly highly doubt we'd sign Vesey to put him on the 3rd line in the AHL. People have been saying he might be top 6 good in the NHL right now so wherever he signs I'd have to think it would be with the promise of NHL playing time.

Ive been on record on a few occasions questioning the ill sentiment towards percy on these boards. Idont get it, and im done talking about it. But youve hit it on the mark that percy and carrick are far better options than marincin and corrado.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad