Prospects and Marlies Discussion: The Hope for the Future Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This is the problem that management has to face.

If the message is going to be that "we're growing our own home grown talent" in the organization, then why is a guy like Marincin taking a spot from Percy, who was a 1st round draft pick, when there was no clear cut favourite in the end.

If the plan is to have Marincin as the 7th defenceman only, then I don't have a problem with it.

But Percy deserves that NHL paycheque.

It would make sense to give Percy, Loov, and Harrington (at least 2/3 of them) looks on the bottom pairing over Marcinin and Hunwick in my opinion.

Although if something is done with Robidas (definitely the trickier situation) and Polak goes at the deadline as we suspect, it is very possible we could see Loov and Percy up post deadline.

Phaneuf also has a chance to move.

I think we have a lot of defenseman on the verge of being ready to be on the big club though. Although if you take away Loov, Percy, Harrington, and/or Granberg off that Marlies defense, it actually looks pretty brutal.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
I'm pissed Hamilton is not in the AHL anymore - it was so easy for me to see the Marlies there.

Gonna be a fun season at Ricoh.

Agreed, it was so easy to see a game there and no worries about train schedule.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ex-Leafs prospect Nilsson is apparently terminating his contract with the Islanders, likely to go back to Sweden.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
No one with an NHL contract is currently assigned to the Orlando Solar Bears. I wonder if that will change at all.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Ex-Leafs prospect Nilsson is apparently terminating his contract with the Islanders, likely to go back to Sweden.

Grabner for 4 contracts. Not the first Swede to lack the patience to play in the AHL to prove himself for an NHL job.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Panik-Nylander-Kapanen
Leivo-Froese-Brown
Soshnikov-Carrick-Frattin
Leipsic-Gauthier-Hyman
Clune-Rupert-Bailey

Decent group of forwards with some depth.
Could be a really good year for the Marlies

Ramboshaw

Apr 9, 2012
Meadow Lake, SK
Panik clears waivers. Holy moley that Marlies team is going to be stacked this year. Does Panik make the top line or second line on the Marlies?

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Panik-Nylander-Kapanen
Leivo-Froese-Brown
Leipsic-Gauthier-Hyman
Clune-Rupert-Bailey

I can't see how this roster won't be tearing it up. Should be a fun team to follow.

Next year they might be adding guys like Marner, Timashov, Dzeirkals too. Looks like we might have a continual flow of young guys in our system! Finally!

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I can't see how this roster won't be tearing it up. Should be a fun team to follow.

Next year they might be adding guys like Marner, Timashov, Dzeirkals too. Looks like we might have a continual flow of young guys in our system! Finally!

Of those guys, only Timashov could possibly join the Marlies next season, and that's if his October 1st birthday is within the cut-off date. Dzierkals and Marner can only play NHL or CHL next year.

But there's still a lot of reason to be excited about the Marlies over the next few years.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Of those guys, only Timashov could possibly join the Marlies next season, and that's if his October 1st birthday is within the cut-off date. Dzierkals and Marner can only play NHL or CHL next year.

But there's still a lot of reason to be excited about the Marlies over the next few years.

Dzierkals can definitely play in the AHL next year since he was draft out of Europe/Russia. He moved to the CHL after being drafted.

You're correct on Timashov being eligible and Marner not being eligible however.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Grabner for 4 contracts. Not the first Swede to lack the patience to play in the AHL to prove himself for an NHL job.

I would imagine it's more of a money thing than a patience thing. He has a lot of peers to topple and there's a strong possibility he won't get the minutes and situations needed to get there. Might as well go get those minutes in the SHL and make some dough while he has the chance.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Panik-Nylander-Kapanen
Leivo-Froese-Brown
Leipsic-Gauthier-Hyman
Clune-Rupert-Bailey

I think at that point I would simply demote Gauthier to the ECHL to get better minutes, unless we rolled 4 lines equally. Gauthier could

I also think they likely want to keep the Nylander-Brown combo in tact.

Kapanen-Nylander-Brown
Soshnikov-Froese-Panik
Leipsic-Carrick-Leivo
Hyman-Rupert-Frattin
Bailey (wow crazy we can't find room for him), Clune

Defense is a mixed bag

Percy-Brennan
Loov-Granberg (when healthy)
Valiev-Campbell
AHL guy

Bibeau
Sparks

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Dzierkals can definitely play in the AHL next year since he was draft out of Europe/Russia. He moved to the CHL after being drafted.

You're correct on Timashov being eligible and Marner not being eligible however.

Didn't know that's how it worked, thanks for clearing it up.

So could he have played in the AHL this year then, or...?

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
Next years Marlies D will have another couple new faces like Deroscher, Nielsen and Dermott all being '96's (unless someone gets sent back for their OA year) Wonder who will have graduated by then and what it could look like!

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Next years Marlies D will have another couple new faces like Deroscher, Nielsen and Dermott all being '96's (unless someone gets sent back for their OA year) Wonder who will have graduated by then and what it could look like!

Granberg, Loov, Percy and Harrington (since he'll likely be demoted eventually) will likely all graduate, and there are no guarantees Brennan or Campbell will be back, so it could be an entirely new group.

Don't forget Donaghey is coming too, plus whomever else we bring in that could play down there. Valiev will likely be in the lineup full time as well.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I hated going to 'dogs games because it was a habs team. It didn't help that we'd hear "who let the dogs out' about a 100 times.

Yeah, much more excited to watch Leafs draft picks/draft eligibles than Habs prospects.

Panik clears waivers. Holy moley that Marlies team is going to be stacked this year. Does Panik make the top line or second line on the Marlies?

I think it depends on how much balance they want the team to have. The could potentially role 4 lines that are all capable of creating offence. Something like

Panik - Nylander - Bailey
Soshnikov - Froese - Brown
Leipsic - Carrick - Kapanen
Leivo - R Rupert - Frattin
ex. Hyman

Not only would that help insulate the rookies, it would also give the Marlies 4 lines that are all worth using your top defensive unit against if you're the opposition.

Cool, thanks again. Nice to know we're so deep on the Marlies that we basically have to turn some guys away.

While Dzierkals could have played in the AHL this year, he spent last season in the Russian junior league, which is a step below the CHL. I would be surprised if he doesn't spend both years of his junior eligibility back in the Q.

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
Granberg, Loov, Percy and Harrington (since he'll likely be demoted eventually) will likely all graduate, and there are no guarantees Brennan or Campbell will be back, so it could be an entirely new group.

Don't forget Donaghey is coming too, plus whomever else we bring in that could play down there. Valiev will likely be in the lineup full time as well.

I'd be pretty surprised to see four Dmen graduate together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad