Prospects and Marlies Discussion: The Hope for the Future Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Dubas admitted they didn't handle Percy well at all last year. He was yo'yo'ed and called up when he was not 100% healthy I believe or at least not really showing he was ready.

Percy played really well in pre-season and showed improved skating. His potential is better/higher then Harrington in my opinion, therefore the Leafs want him to keep progressing with the Marlies and perhaps make up for a bad developmental year.

Harrington also can play RHD or LHD, while Percy I believe hasn't been put in a RHD role.

It's crazy to think that Percy can spend 2 1/2 years with the Marlies and not be ready, but yet Harrington spends 1 1/2 years in the Pens system and he's ready to go and further along.

In a way, I think it goes against what they've been trying to say.

They want their prospects to be over ready and that does include Harrington now that he's in the system.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's crazy to think that Percy can spend 2 1/2 years with the Marlies and not be ready, but yet Harrington spends 1 1/2 years in the Pens system and he's ready to go and further along.

In a way, I think it goes against what they've been trying to say.

They want their prospects to be over ready and that does include Harrington now that he's in the system.

He made the team last year, didn't he?

Not every prospect is the same though. Some take longer then others. They aren't robots.

Percy probably would have made the team if it wasn't for Robidas and Polak and their contracts. It's a process.

I have no doubt in my mind Percy will be up with the Leafs at some point during the season, if not permanently. This is unless of course he regresses and struggles with the Marlies. He needs to play at a high level with the Marlies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

No surprise. The veterans are all getting the leadership roles. Brown and Percy are not likely to stay on the Marlies for very long, so they are giving them to players not likely to be called up very often if at all.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
He made the team last year, didn't he?

Not every prospect is the same though. Some take longer then others. They aren't robots.

Percy probably would have made the team if it wasn't for Robidas and Polak and their contracts. It's a process.

I have no doubt in my mind Percy will be up with the Leafs at some point during the season, if not permanently. This is unless of course he regresses and struggles with the Marlies. He needs to play at a high level with the Marlies.

In the 15-20 games that I watched last year of the Marlies, he was probably the 2nd most consistent prospect, behind Victor Loov.

Yeah, he did make the team last year but then an injury knocked him out of the line-up.

I understand that they all take different amount of time to develop, but would you say that either Marincin or Harrington substantially outplayed him out of a spot this year?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
In the 15-20 games that I watched last year of the Marlies, he was probably the 2nd most consistent prospect, behind Victor Loov.

Yeah, he did make the team last year but then an injury knocked him out of the line-up.

I understand that they all take different amount of time to develop, but would you say that either Marincin or Harrington substantially outplayed him out of a spot this year?

Hard to say either way from my perspective, I think we just have a massive logjam between guys like Loov, Percy, and Harrington all needing to break into the NHL (ideally) on a bottom pairing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

No surprise. The veterans are all getting the leadership roles. Brown and Percy are not likely to stay on the Marlies for very long, so they are giving them to players not likely to be called up very often if at all.

Now it makes sense why the Leafs gave Campbell an NHL contract because they intended to make him Marlies captain.

He came into the Leafs camp on a AHL contract only and that didn't really make him Leafs property as anyone at any time could have offered him an NHL deal and he could be gone.

Also I think players would have a hard time following a players leadership if he wasn't officially connected to the team.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Hard to say either way from my perspective, I think we just have a massive logjam between guys like Loov, Percy, and Harrington all needing to break into the NHL (ideally) on a bottom pairing.

This is the problem that management has to face.

If the message is going to be that "we're growing our own home grown talent" in the organization, then why is a guy like Marincin taking a spot from Percy, who was a 1st round draft pick, when there was no clear cut favourite in the end.

If the plan is to have Marincin as the 7th defenceman only, then I don't have a problem with it.

But Percy deserves that NHL paycheque.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Taking a stab at this:

Kapanen - Nylander - Brown
Soshnikov - Froese - Frattin
Leipsic - R. Rupert - Hyman
Leivo - Carrick - Bailey
Clune, Johnson

Percy - Brennan
Harrington - Lööv
Campbell - Valiev
Holl, Miller

Obviously Panik is a possibility in which case he'd take Frattin's spot, Frattin would move to 3rd, Hyman to 4th and Bailey will be subbed in, in typical AHL fashion. I'd like to see Skladnichenko, M. Rupert, Clapperton, Vail, Gauthier and Watling all get time as well. I think they'll go the Detroit/Babcock model of having bottom 6 guys play bottom 6 minutes, AHL or NHL. Guys like Leivo and Hyman (Who will most likely be on the Leafs' bottom 6 post-TDL) will play bottom 6 for the Marlies to get that system ingrained.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Taking a stab at this:

Kapanen - Nylander - Brown
Soshnikov - Froese - Frattin
Leipsic - R. Rupert - Hyman
Leivo - Carrick - Bailey
Clune, Johnson

Percy - Brennan
Harrington - Lööv
Campbell - Valiev
Holl, Miller

Obviously Panik is a possibility in which case he'd take Frattin's spot, Frattin would move to 3rd, Hyman to 4th and Bailey will be subbed in, in typical AHL fashion. I'd like to see Skladnichenko, M. Rupert, Clapperton, Vail, Gauthier and Watling all get time as well. I think they'll go the Detroit/Babcock model of having bottom 6 guys play bottom 6 minutes, AHL or NHL. Guys like Leivo and Hyman (Who will most likely be on the Leafs' bottom 6 post-TDL) will play bottom 6 for the Marlies to get that system ingrained.

Pretty sure Gauthier is going to be playing. Probably 3rd line center.

Unless they sent him to the ECHL to get 1st line minutes to try to develop his offensive game

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Pretty sure Gauthier is going to be playing. Probably 3rd line center.

Unless they sent him to the ECHL to get 1st line minutes to try to develop his offensive game

I thought so too until Carrick was sent down. There's just too much centre depth. It's up to Dubas to decide whether he wants Gauthier in the press box behind 4 proven AHL centre's or to play in Orlando as a 1C and try to work on his hands.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I thought so too until Carrick was sent down. There's just too much centre depth. It's up to Dubas to decide whether he wants Gauthier in the press box behind 4 proven AHL centre's or to play in Orlando as a 1C and try to work on his hands.

Gauthier is not going to be in a press box anywhere. He has more of a future than Carrick. He's going to get playing time before Carrick will unless they want Gauthier in Orlando. That's just the way it's going to be.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Rupert in the press box. He had a good year last year but there just might not be room for him.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
man, wish we picked up Sprong, he made the Penguins

They lack depth, and Dupuis is now injured so it's even worse. It would be smart for them to claim Panik, because they could definitely use him.

If Panik clears waivers and Pittsburgh faces any more injuries, I would try to sell them both Panik and Frattin for something.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I think Harrington and Percy were fairly equal. I'm not sure why they decided to keep Harrington but it could be because he can play the right side where as Percy seems to be strictly on the left.

Marincin wasn't waiver exempt.

Percy will make it back. Just like with Nylander and Brown, they just need to settle the roster a bit to make room and that takes a bit of time. He needs to play healthy and get back to his pre-injury level from last year because he definitely wasn't as good when he came back from injury. It's not a bad thing to overripe Percy at this point.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think Harrington and Percy were fairly equal. I'm not sure why they decided to keep Harrington but it could be because he can play the right side where as Percy seems to be strictly on the left.

Marincin wasn't waiver exempt.

Percy will make it back. Just like with Nylander and Brown, they just need to settle the roster a bit to make room and that takes a bit of time. He needs to play healthy and get back to his pre-injury level from last year because he definitely wasn't as good when he came back from injury. It's not a bad thing to overripe Percy at this point.

Well Harrington isn't that great at the right side, which could be why they claimed Corrado. Maybe they don't bring him back up after all.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
They lack depth, and Dupuis is now injured so it's even worse. It would be smart for them to claim Panik, because they could definitely use him.

If Panik clears waivers and Pittsburgh faces any more injuries, I would try to sell them both Panik and Frattin for something.

Yeah this is a perfect example of a team rushing a prospect. There's no way Sprong would have made the Leafs, his defensive game is not NHL ready, physically he's probably not where they'd want him to be, and with three points and a -2 in five games against weak rosters it's not like he lit it up in camp. I'm sure he'll be good enough, but he clearly still has a lot of development left, and opting to have him undergo that development in a third line role is kind of unusual.

Dermott, in my opinion, would have looked about as good as Sprong if the Leafs had dressed him for five exhibition games. He looked very good in the one game he played, and I think he could play on the third pairing and not do any worse than some of the terrible d-men we've iced over the past few years. So I have no regrets about not getting Sprong -- I still think Dermott could very well be the better player five year from now.

Pens have a history of rushing young players. Beau Bennet got brought up pretty quickly instead of getting a full year in the AHL. They brought up Pouliot for 30+ games last year and now he's back down in the AHL. Even Jordaan Staal, who had a stellar rookie season at age 18, may have benefit more from an extra year in junior to really focus on his offensive game.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Gauthier is not going to be in a press box anywhere. He has more of a future than Carrick. He's going to get playing time before Carrick will unless they want Gauthier in Orlando. That's just the way it's going to be.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Rupert in the press box. He had a good year last year but there just might not be room for him.

if Gauthier isn't going to get alot of time in the AHL could they not send him back to Rimouski for an overage year? or is he too old? not sure if that would be better then the ECHL or not.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Well Harrington isn't that great at the right side, which could be why they claimed Corrado. Maybe they don't bring him back up after all.

If they weren't planning on calling Harrington back up they wouldn't have waived Panik

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I'm pissed Hamilton is not in the AHL anymore - it was so easy for me to see the Marlies there.

Gonna be a fun season at Ricoh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad